Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Handicapped Spyder Ryders.....Roll call!

Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

welcome On dude

Where abouts in Ontario do you .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    Being a disabled rider my entire life I have never been able to ride till the spyder. When one of my coworkers told me about it I had to look it up and see for myself. I've now got right at 8000 wonderfull miles on the open road and it was definately a dream come true for me.

I'm so glad to see that there are many disabled riders on the road for the first time or veteran riders back on the road again!!!!
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

I'm in frigid Northern Ontario.....Sudbury to be exact. We're not having the best start to the summer here, but I have hope for sunny days ahead.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Jumper,
    I'm confined to a wheelchair also. I own a 2009 SE5 that I have added floorboards and a hand operated brake. I'm currently working on my wheelchair rack (side mount). When it's complete, I'll be happy to share. You mentioned rerouting filler caps. Does this include the gas tank, and if so, how did you do it??? Thanks and ride safe.

Roho

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RoHo View Post
    Jumper,
    I'm confined to a wheelchair also. I own a 2009 SE5 that I have added floorboards and a hand operated brake. I'm currently working on my wheelchair rack (side mount). When it's complete, I'll be happy to share. You mentioned rerouting filler caps. Does this include the gas tank, and if so, how did you do it??? Thanks and ride safe.

Roho
    Roho

Check out the pics in the the thread "My Unique Mods" in the My Spyder Mods forum. The filler cap is located in a way that you do not have to get off the bike to fuel up. My mechanical abilities are limited, so I had a friend do the fabrication.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

also a handi....have been riding 2 wheel bikes for 25 yrs or so, but to the point where 3 is much safer....balance and all...

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

welcome

I think it is wonderful that the spyder provides riding in the wind once again for all.
    I am a bit handicaped, but not disabled to the point of being confined to a wheel chair.
    Speaking of having a disability, I may have that afterall. Mental Disability.. Does that count??

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I guess the Spyder has made me "RE-abled". Yes, I have to agree it certainly made ryding again an easier reality. I would have done all kinds of mods on a two wheeler, but this is perfect, practically "out of the box". Maybe see you riding sometime soon, I am up that way quite often.

Spyder Garage

I've been thinking about a board just for you guys where it would be easy to share information with each other on how to overcome some of the things you have to deal with on a daily basis. If you guys would like that how about a name for the board besides Handicap SpyderLovers?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've been thinking about a board just for you guys where it would be easy to share information with each other on how to overcome some of the things you have to deal with on a daily basis. If you guys would like that how about a name for the board besides Handicap SpyderLovers?
    Hey Lamont, I could give them my member handle and they could be Very Handy Members.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

1,free ryders,
    free at last thank you BRP free at last to feel the wind in ower faces
    2, freedum ryders
    3, D.F.R. Disable Freedom Ryders
    4, D.S.R. Disable Spyder Ryders

welcome and have funn guys
    Don......

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Roho

Check out the pics in the the thread "My Unique Mods" in the My Spyder Mods forum. The filler cap is located in a way that you do not have to get off the bike to fuel up. My mechanical abilities are limited, so I had a friend do the fabrication.

Jumper,
    Looked at your other thread. I have to say, your friend did a FANTASTIC job for you on those mods. The gascap looks fantastic, but how did he connect on the gas tank? Did he punch a new hole or use the existing opening and what about heat build up since it's right above the engine? Happy riding!!!!
    Roho

Spyder Garage

I know there's someone in my area, but I don't know who it is. I'd like to meet him/her. I only know because I know the mechanic who installed their handbrake. Maybe I'll see them at the dealer open house this weekend? I should make some cards with the spyderlovers website on it, in case there's people who don't know about this great forum.
    Last edited by Grumpy; 05-29-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

handicrapped section label would be fine with me. Wish the spyder would had another 30 hp, its just not fast enough with the wheelchair on it. it is something to do for sure, I don't what you can do in a wheelchair so do it up.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

we should do a meet and greet sometime, looks like most are from the middle of the states and canada so we should all figure a good central meeting place that is fun to ride to. I know how much of a pain in the ass it is to travel multiple days ( bowel program, pressure sores crap like that) but I can make a 2 day run no problem. if someone wants to orgainze where everyone is from and where the best place I would help out.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Howdy all!

I'm a member of this club. Left A/K amp with nerve damage in my Left shoulder/arm.

Thanks to Lamonster for giving us a place to talk about how to best use our "left-over ability's."

And I think the Forum name is just dandy, also.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RoHo View Post
    Jumper,
    Looked at your other thread. I have to say, your friend did a FANTASTIC job for you on those mods. The gascap looks fantastic, but how did he connect on the gas tank? Did he punch a new hole or use the existing opening and what about heat build up since it's right above the engine? Happy riding!!!!
    Roho
    Roho,
    Here is a pic of the routing. This is not a mod I would recommend doing without an experienced mechanic. The routing used the existing opening and with about 1000k on my machine seems to be working very well.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Jumper! I've found my next mod. Looks great and sooo simple. A definit must for those of us with disabilities.

Roho

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Lamont,
    I think that is a fantastic idea. I think you should call it something like the Handicap Corner. The fact is "What is, is" and there isn't anything we can do to change that. There's an old saying, "You can call me what ever you want just don't call me late for dinner." It doesn't matter what other people call us. What is important is what we think about ourselves, and I think anyone that has the drive to do what those members of this forum are doing (regaining another facet of our lost freedom) is going to be acclimataed to who and what they are. Hope I'm not rolling on anyone's toes, but that's the way I feel. For the rest of you on this forum with handicaps - KUDO's for you. I'm proud of your gumtion.
    Roho

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now, can you remove the other panel so we can see how its connected to the fill cap? I'm wondering if you're using flexible fuel line? Now was that "elbow" on the original filler hole just siliconed in? Or did you thread that plastic elbow to screw on to it? One more, what about venting? The original gas cap is a vented..what about your setup?

Roho,
    Here is a pic of the routing. This is not a mod I would recommend doing without an experienced mechanic. The routing used the existing opening and with about 1000k on my machine seems to be working very well.

Spyder Garage

here is a much more simple way to get the same thing I have almost 6k on this setup and it works fine for a pay at the pump I have to back up at an angle to get the card in because of reach and balance issues but yeah, just cut the plastic behind the seat. the top of the seat shows a little rip but that is the price you pay for a non handicrapp gas cap setup.

forgot to add this cost nothing to do, just cut the seat when it was up with a "something" covering the bike can use side cutter of some sort.
    Last edited by SethO; 05-30-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: read it

crash tester for:

Spyder Garage

Great, a section for us Handicapped (nothing wrong with that term). I have a wheelchair rack welded onto a tow bar and a hand brake, all courtesy of Jimmy Mels Monster Garage in Roseville MI. 586.822.9815
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

do you have any trouble with your cable handbrake system fading? mine does but the foot brake people say works great on my bike. If I could get a full list for a hydralic one in front of me I would order one up.

crash tester for:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    do you have any trouble with your cable handbrake system fading? mine does but the foot brake people say works great on my bike. If I could get a full list for a hydralic one in front of me I would order one up.
    What I have found on the brakes on the Spyder is you do not get full stopping power from the first push of the pedal. Magic Man has been doing some testing on that too. If you pump it once the pedal comes up higher than the first pump. Not sure why that is.

If I'm going to use my hand brake only I give myself a little extra room to stop and I pump it twice. I still have it in the back on my head that cables break and I hope that ISCI will have their hydraulic system done soon because that will be the hot setup.