Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a neighbor that runs Delo 400 15w40 in everything including his Harley. He's never mentioned clutch slippage when we've discussed oils. Newer vehicles are calling for lighter weight oils like 5w20. I think that's because they're trying to improve MPG's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I have a neighbor that runs Delo 400 15w40 in everything including his Harley. He's never mentioned clutch slippage when we've discussed oils. Newer vehicles are calling for lighter weight oils like 5w20. I think that's because they're trying to improve MPG's.
    For no other reason than to chat a little, using the PQIA oil analysis, most of the Delo looks like a good enough product for wet clutch operation with the exception of the SDE version of the DELO 400, and that is strictly an opinion. I prefer new oil tests to show a molybdenum level of less than 100ppm. My reasoning is most oil-related wet clutch slipping issues seem to revolve around the molybdenum level. However with all the technical reading that I've run across no one ever gives a definitive number where problems begin to occur with the wet clutches. That said, there are a number of oils available that are below the 100ppm to 150ppm area that I believe to be in the questionable range for a new oil wet clutch application. Interestingly the Rotella T6 and the T4 conventional oil are both well below 100ppm of molybdenum and both are JASO MA & MA2 tested however the Rotella T5 is significantly also below 100ppm (like 1ppm molybdenum), but is NOT JASO MA tested but has a JASO DH-2 rating for sulfur! This is to say I have no proof that a level below 100ppm molybdenum is a must or that a level over 150ppm molybdenum is an absolute no-go area, rather it is just my personal preference. Regards,
    2018 F3-L
    w/2600mi-2/14/22
    - The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    - HeliBars
    - 20" MadStad Wind Screen
    - Garmin Zumo XT
    - ROLO LASER Alignment, Tyler Texas
    - Greased Front Sprocket Splines w/TS-70
    - Baja Ron Heim End Links
    Many two-wheelers and w/40+ years of Riding
    The Woodlands, Texas