Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I think my 2020 RTL has the Covert-19 - latest Update

My 2020 RTL refused to start. Turn key on and get load repetitive clicks and then a check key message. I assumed low battery voltage so I connected battery tender to it. The next day with the tender showing a green light tried to start it, but the same thing happened. Titenen the battery bolts down and checked the battery voltage which read 12.93 volts. Tried starting it - same results.
    Hooked up my trailer and using a come a long loaded the spyder up and dropped it off at a dealer in Clarksville,TN. Service writer thinks a bad battery. Hope to hear from them soon.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a basic question, did you check to be sure the emergency cutoff switch wasn't in the off position. Had that issue a couple of times myself (lol) Dale

Spyder Garage

Dunno where your Spyder would've been hiding PW, or not acknowledging whatever it's been up to?? So can't help with it going Covert...

But Battery Tenders can hide dead or failing batteries &/or dead or failing charging systems, especially if a cell in the battery has failed &/or the charge system's just not putting enough ooomph back into it!

It's really not a great deal of help just testing the 'after charging' load, that really only shows the charge level your battery is capable of carrying, possibly only for a short while.... you should also check what the battery voltage does when you try to start the engine. A rapid drop to anything much less than about 12 volts while cranking that then stays that low, even (or especially! ) if you do manage to get the engine started, generally suggests that you've got a dead battery.

If the dealer has load tested your battery and the results show that it's bad, then you really have no choice.... it's time for a new battery! Even brand new batteries can fail, short, or just plain old give up!! That said, it's not too often that replacing it with a new battery won't fix it,cos while failures do occur, the failure rate these days is generally pretty low!! But it might still pay for you (not necessarily the dealer) to check the charging voltage with the engine running above idle after you've got the new battery fitted; results showing anything that's still anywhere in the 12v range could mean your charging system is the cause of the last battery failure - ESPECIALLY if you'd been doing mainly relatively short runs (less than saaay, 30 mins of running at revs over about 3,000 rpm) in the lead up to failure - and that applies even if you've been putting it on a tender whenever it's not been running!!

As I mentioned earlier, leaving it on a tender all the time can hide a dead or failing battery/charging system! Hope the new battery sorts yours tho PW, and that the charging system is good. But do try to fairly regularly give your Spyder/Ryker a good 'longer than 30 min' run with the revs spending most of their time up & over about 3,000 rpm every week or so - and yes, keeping the revs up over 4 or even 5,000 rpm would be even better!! Do that once a week all ryding season & you could probably retire your battery tender completely outside of any 'lay-away' or 'storage periods' of over a couple of weeks! And your Spyder, its battery, and your health/fitness will very likely thank you for keeping them in better condition that way!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-12-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

But wait didn't you say this was on a 2020 RTL? Bad already? I hope they warranty it, if it is.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Yes one of the first things I checked.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    But wait didn't you say this was on a 2020 RTL? Bad already? I hope they warranty it, if it is.
    I think they will. I was told if within 6 months BRP will, but over 6 months it's iffy. Since I purchased in May I should be covered.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Dunno where your Spyder would've been hiding PW, or not acknowledging whatever it's been up to?? So can't help with it going Covert...

But Battery Tenders can hide dead or failing batteries &/or dead or failing charging systems, especially if a cell in the battery has failed &/or the charge system's just not putting enough ooomph back into it!

It's really not a great deal of help just testing the 'after charging' load, that really only shows the charge level your battery is capable of carrying, possibly only for a short while.... you should also check what the battery voltage does when you try to start the engine. A rapid drop to anything much less than about 12 volts while cranking that then stays that low, even (or especially! ) if you do manage to get the engine started, generally suggests that you've got a dead battery.

If the dealer has load tested your battery and the results show that it's bad, then you really have no choice.... it's time for a new battery! Even brand new batteries can fail, short, or just plain old give up!! That said, it's not too often that replacing it with a new battery won't fix it,cos while failures do occur, the failure rate these days is generally pretty low!! But it might still pay for you (not necessarily the dealer) to check the charging voltage with the engine running above idle after you've got the new battery fitted; results showing anything that's still anywhere in the 12v range could mean your charging system is the cause of the last battery failure - ESPECIALLY if you'd been doing mainly relatively short runs (less than saaay, 30 mins of running at revs over about 3,000 rpm) in the lead up to failure - and that applies even if you've been putting it on a tender whenever it's not been running!!

As I mentioned earlier, leaving it on a tender all the time can hide a dead or failing battery/charging system! Hope the new battery sorts yours tho PW, and that the charging system is good. But do try to fairly regularly give your Spyder/Ryker a good 'longer than 30 min' run with the revs spending most of their time up & over about 3,000 rpm every week or so - and yes, keeping the revs up over 4 or even 5,000 rpm would be even better!! Do that once a week all ryding season & you could probably retire your battery tender completely outside of any 'lay-away' or 'storage periods' of over a couple of weeks! And your Spyder, its battery, and your health/fitness will very likely thank you for keeping them in better condition that way!
    Thanks Peter. Sadly I have not been able to ride it in the last 2 months, but have had to start it a few times to move it around in the garage. I should have kept it on a tender. Only put it on after it did not start.
    I hope the dealer fully checks it out, but I will after I get it back to make sure it's charging at rpm.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

If the message said check key, I would try the other key if you have it. Sounds like the ECM is not reading the chip in the key. I thought all the Spyder had a 2 year warranty anyway. good luck and let us know the outcome.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    My 2020 RTL refused to start. Turn key on and get load repetitive clicks and then a check key message. I assumed low battery voltage so I connected battery tender to it. The next day with the tender showing a green light tried to start it, but the same thing happened. Titenen the battery bolts down and checked the battery voltage which read 12.93 volts. Tried starting it - same results.
    Hooked up my trailer and using a come a long loaded the spyder up and dropped it off at a dealer in Clarksville,TN. Service writer thinks a bad battery. Hope to hear from them soon.
    If you are using a true Battery Tender brand to maintain your battery or revive it, this may be giving you a false sense of good. On my friends Harley, he was storing it at his daughters house for a while. He used a Battery Tender brand maintainer while there. The Battery Tender indicated the battery was good, but like yours would not crank nor start.

I let him borrow one of my Battery Minder brand units. With no other changes, simply connect the Battery Minder, he gave it several days for the Battery Minder to revive and save his battery. This battery was not new, but was not old either being a little more than a year old.

The Battery Minder did revive the battery that previously refused to start or crank that Harley while maintained by a Battery Tender and even though the Battery Tender showed a good battery. He rode the bike with this battery for a while until selling the motorcycle, at which time he fairly told the buyer and gave him money towards a new battery for when it did fail at some point later on.

So likely you have a bad battery, or the dealer will charge yours and get you going. They may replace it if charged static voltage is substandard or loaded voltage drops off, both test would be after charging the battery.

All the best getting it sorted out. If you have added any aftermarket circuits, it may be prudent to ensure they have no parasitic drain running the battery down.

As for the previously suggested rpms to keep the battery voltage up, your 2020 has a high capacity alternator and can supply far more charge to the battery than it needs even at less than 2000 rpm if the charging system is operating correctly. The thought or need to rev a 1330 in the plus 4000, or even plus 5000 rpm range long enough to charge a battery or keep it charged is certainly not needed.

Spyder Garage

Probably is the battery. A good 12 volt motorcycle battery will charge up to around 14 volts at 100 % charge. You could have took the battery up to a NAPA or Discount Auto and they would load check it free.

Did you check the battery voltage again after the attempt to start or after it sat a while?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    If the message said check key, I would try the other key if you have it. Sounds like the ECM is not reading the chip in the key. I thought all the Spyder had a 2 year warranty anyway. good luck and let us know the outcome.
    I did try both keys. Same results. Yes it's under warranty.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Probably is the battery. A good 12 volt motorcycle battery will charge up to around 14 volts at 100 % charge. You could have took the battery up to a NAPA or Discount Auto and they would load check it free.

Did you check the battery voltage again after the attempt to start or after it sat a while?
    I did not check the voltage after it showed charged. I checked it after I tried starting it after it was charged. I do own a battery tester, but did not use it. Since it's under warranty and only 4 months since purchase I would let a dealer handle it.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If you are using a true Battery Tender brand to maintain your battery or revive it, this may be giving you a false sense of good. On my friends Harley, he was storing it at his daughters house for a while. He used a Battery Tender brand maintainer while there. The Battery Tender indicated the battery was good, but like yours would not crank nor start.

I let him borrow one of my Battery Minder brand units. With no other changes, simply connect the Battery Minder, he gave it several days for the Battery Minder to revive and save his battery. This battery was not new, but was not old either being a little more than a year old.

The Battery Minder did revive the battery that previously refused to start or crank that Harley while maintained by a Battery Tender and even though the Battery Tender showed a good battery. He rode the bike with this battery for a while until selling the motorcycle, at which time he fairly told the buyer and gave him money towards a new battery for when it did fail at some point later on.

So likely you have a bad battery, or the dealer will charge yours and get you going. They may replace it if charged static voltage is substandard or loaded voltage drops off, both test would be after charging the battery.

All the best getting it sorted out. If you have added any aftermarket circuits, it may be prudent to ensure they have no parasitic drain running the battery down.

As for the previously suggested rpms to keep the battery voltage up, your 2020 has a high capacity alternator and can supply far more charge to the battery than it needs even at less than 2000 rpm if the charging system is operating correctly. The thought or need to rev a 1330 in the plus 4000, or even plus 5000 rpm range long enough to charge a battery or keep it charged is certainly not needed.
    It is a true Battery Tender unit. I own 3 of them and have had very good results using them in the past. Not saying that your point is not valid, only that's what I have.
    The only additional thing connected to the battery is the battery tender hook up wire that the saleing dealership installed. I did install fender lights and a GPS. Both are connected to switch on wires. Fender lights to the fender power, and the GPS to the Spyders power wire for customer accessory located under the right side panel.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Please keep us informed. A bummer when a brand new machine wont work.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Please keep us informed. A bummer when a brand new machine wont work.
    Will do!

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did I read somewhere the battery was not under warranty? Not sure, hope that is not the case.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Did I read somewhere the battery was not under warranty? Not sure, hope that is not the case.
    I'm pretty sure most any power sports battery will be warranted for 6 months only. There are a few exceptions but I don't recall which brands or dealers they are.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I was told within 6 months covered. After 6 months it's very difficult to get BRP to cover it.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good info, thanks.

Spyder Garage

I hear hoarding toilet paper will somehow help.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Sometime you have to speak Canadian to the dealers for them to honor the warranty, heh.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

As I understand it - a "Battery Tender" will keep a battery charged - Float - on/off. BUT will not act as a battery charger. Too little Anp's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    As I understand it - a "Battery Tender" will keep a battery charged - Float - on/off. BUT will not act as a battery charger. Too little Anp's.
    It will trickle charge a battery. I used it many times to charge up a battery that would not start a car and Spyders.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Update on my " I think my 2020 RTL has the Covert-19"

Talked to the Tennessee dealer today to find out what the status is on my Spyder.

"My 2020 RTL refused to start. Turn key on and get load repetitive clicks and then a check key message. I assumed low battery voltage so I connected battery tender to it. The next day with the tender showing a green light tried to start it, but the same thing happened. Tighten the battery bolts down and checked the battery voltage which read 12.93 volts. Tried starting it - same results."

Was told that they are working on it, but they could not get it to connect to BUDS. They also told me that they received another Spyder with the same issue of not starting. I hope they find out and fix it soon as we start a month of travel starting on Sept 11th.
    I was not able to speak to the tech who is working on it, so I hope that they opened a case with BRP about this. I talked to the dealer that sold me my Spyder in MN and asked if they have encountered this issue. Was told that they have not, but would contact me if they find out anything.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Lemon!!!!!! If you this kind of electrical problems going on now and the factory has no past history, I would run like hell!
    2012 RTL , Pearl