Spyder Garage

Default Brake pad replacement

I know it all depends on how you use them but generally speaking how many miles between brake pad replacement - front and back.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DStrine View Post
    I know it all depends on how you use them but generally speaking how many miles between brake pad replacement - front and back.
    Well on my 14 RT I got 30,000 on rear ( they were very near metal ) so I check them at 25,000 mi .... for front I got 43,000 mi and there was still about 3-4000 mi left ..... I think I will get better milage with the new EBC pads ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well on my 14 RT I got 30,000 on rear ( they were very near metal ) so I check them at 25,000 mi .... for front I got 43,000 mi and there was still about 3-4000 mi left ..... I think I will get better milage with the new EBC pads ..... good luck .... Mike
    Interesting since, usually both on cars and cycles, the fronts go first since that is where the weight shift is when braking. Where you riding backwards a lot?

Spyder Garage

On my Spyder I am on the original front pads and 6 set of pads on the rear. Since I ride double most of the time. I have 80,000 miles on mine. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Interesting since, usually both on cars and cycles, the fronts go first since that is where the weight shift is when braking. Where you riding backwards a lot?
    It's long been noted that Spyders & probably Rykers all wear out the rears first .....why ???? the front wheels have TWO sets of brake pads. The Spyder computer will balance the braking left to right and front to rear. From what I've read on this forum most folks wear the rear much quicker than the fronts ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Blueknight, do you do most of your miles on a toy hauler? On my 2016RT the original pads were done at about 8000m and the replacement EBC,s were totally shot after 12000m. I am now 75 and go through brakes quite regularly.
    Alan.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Blueknight, do you do most of your miles on a toy hauler? On my 2016RT the original pads were done at about 8000m and the replacement EBC,s were totally shot after 12000m. I am now 75 and go through brakes quite regularly.
    Alan.
    You my friend must ride your brakes a lot!! I think what we have to take out of this post is the importance on checking your pads on a regular basis to see how they are wearing!! Pads are not to hard on the wallet to replace as rotors are!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I Guys

There are a lot of things that determine the durability and wear of the brakes, do you have a trailer, and you always have two or one, do you do a lot of town, are you on the highway, brake you have the last minute , brake you gently, its very hard to assess.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Another thing to take into account with touring bikes such as the Goldwing and of course with our Spyders as well is that the front brakes are in a much more open area and get more clean, cooling air than the rear brake does. The rear lives behind and under saddlebags and body panels and gets a lot of heat from the engine, a lot of dirt from the road, and very little air flow whatsoever. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. Heat and dirt take a big bite out of brake pad life and since our Spyders and most big touring bikes have linked brakes the rear pads get a lot of use. This is the number 1 reason the rear pads wear faster.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I Guys

There are still two on my 2014 and at 18,000 kilos I had to change them.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Alan.
    #1.- I don't own a " toy hauler " and #2.- the miles I listed were for what my Spyder odometer registered. Generally speaking I don't use the trans. for most braking .... I do downshift in the twistie's but only to get to the proper gear for accelerating ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The rear brakes do tend to wear out sooner on the Spyder/Ryker than the fronts. There are a number of factors for this. But the biggest factor is that the computer biases the application so that the rear comes on first and goes off last. This is to help stabilize the vehicle in the braking sequence.

If you do a lot of light pressure, stop and go braking in traffic, the rear will wear out even faster as the fronts are doing very little braking. If you are doing heavier braking, 2-up, pulling a trailer slowing from freeway speed, steeper downhill braking, etc. Where you are pushing harder on the brake peddle for longer periods of time. The fronts will come closer to wearing at the same rate as the fronts.

The original Spyders had much more of the rear bias (2008-2012) than do the newer Spyders & Ryker (2013+).

My experience is that 20-25K is normal for the fronts. About 15K for the rears on a 2008-2012. 20k for the rears on a 2013+ and 25-30k for the fronts on the newer models. But this can vary to much higher and lower depending on your riding style (how much you use the transmission), which pad set you use, etc.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you Finless https://youtu.be/Csji-2tfwAQ

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock