Spyder Garage

Default Audio: iPod Integration Cable Doesn't Work

So I've got an NTouch iPod Integration Cable that came with my 2012 RTS A&C. It only says Aux and doesn't always connect and I only have volume control. EVERY TIME I hit a bump, it quits working. I was told this was the cable that came with my trike when it was bought new from dealership (1 prev owner who is a friend). I've asked about this before and read a ton of threads on these forums about this stuff, and just gave up on it. Factory installed equipment should work.

So there's this round 7-pin female in the trunk (right side). I'm supposed to plug this pigtail in there that has a short coax loooking cable to a box the size of 1.5 Zippo lighters and then another cable running out the same end (back whence it came) to an iPod 30 pin connector. It says NTouch on it, and has no other visible markings. I assume this is the alleged "iPod Integration Cable."

I need to know what I can do to reliably run an iPod Nano (gen 6) or have a dependable Bluetooth interface to the speakers on my Spyder that will let me run Amazon Music via my Samsung Galaxy S7. I'm open to either approach, but I am sick and tired of not having anything but radio on my Spyder, but I don't think I should have to spend hundreds of dollars to replace something that is under warranty. My Spyder spent the past 2 weeks in the shop and this was on the list, but the Cert Spyder Tech said, "Yeah, that's a common problem." Then, there was a woman there picking up her F3 Limited when I was picking mine up and her Bluetooth still wasn't working. (West Coast Powersports in Clearwater, FL...btw) Please help! I am looking for a legit solution and exactly how to get it done.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, this may not be the answer you're looking for, but your description of your adapter cable doesn't match what came with my 2012. See pictures, and they don't say Ntouch anywhere on them. So, that's the first thing that comes to mind. The second is that the harness on my RT runs along the right hand side and has a couple of connectors in it. If you have issues after hitting a bump, I would trace out that harness hand over hand - if you haven't already - and check the whole length for anything worn through or loose. Yes, sorry I can't tell you exactly how to get it done. But my initial thought - based on what cables came with mine - is you have an incorrect adapter cable. Now, maybe BRP had two different suppliers for those things, I don't know. I don't see why an A&C would be any different than a LTD. But, I just thought you should know that your cable doesn't match mine of the same model year and that it could be part of the issue. Good luck with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well, this may not be the answer you're looking for, but your description of your adapter cable doesn't match what came with my 2012. See pictures, and they don't say Ntouch anywhere on them. So, that's the first thing that comes to mind. The second is that the harness on my RT runs along the right hand side and has a couple of connectors in it. If you have issues after hitting a bump, I would trace out that harness hand over hand - if you haven't already - and check the whole length for anything worn through or loose. Yes, sorry I can't tell you exactly how to get it done. But my initial thought - based on what cables came with mine - is you have an incorrect adapter cable. Now, maybe BRP had two different suppliers for those things, I don't know. I don't see why an A&C would be any different than a LTD. But, I just thought you should know that your cable doesn't match mine of the same model year and that it could be part of the issue. Good luck with it.
    cable described is odd I have same as in pics also & work fine except 1 generation iPod nano #4 I think (found iPhone that works & not looked back) check with your dealer about the cable, bumps & loss of sound probably just loose connection apply some Velcro to hold device in place with slack on cable. Other alternative solution is BLUETOOTH LAMONSTER has.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/bluet...rt-f3t-st-br1/

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    cable described is odd I have same as in pics also & work fine except 1 generation iPod nano #4 I think (found iPhone that works & not looked back) check with your dealer about the cable, bumps & loss of sound probably just loose connection apply some Velcro to hold device in place with slack on cable. Other alternative solution is BLUETOOTH LAMONSTER has.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/bluet...rt-f3t-st-br1/
    Actually, gentlemen, your replies are very helpful. Thank you! I suspected that I had the wrong connection cable based on my research, but wasn't sure and I didn't want to start down the rabbit hole of buying $50-75 cables and trying them one after another without getting some feedback from other owners. My trike was in the shop for 2 weeks and a cert Spyder tech went through the whole system and repaired a bunch of electrical stuff. He was emphatic that there are no issues there, and this was specifically on the list. But he did not tell me I had the wrong iPod Integration Cable. There was a bunch of other work done, parts replaced, etc. under my extended warranty. This is the only issue that was not resolved. I'm thinking I'll try either the iPod Integration Cable y'all have or the Bluetooth interface Lamonster offers and see if that fixes it.

Spyder Garage

Your cable sounds like the cable for 2010s and 2011s. I believe the cable was changed for the 2012s. I could be wrong. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

According to what I find the cable you have is part # 710002016. All the parts diagrams for all the RTs show it as having been superceded by part # 710002676, which is the one pictured above. The 2012 parts diagram shows part # 710002676 so it looks like your best bet is to buy the new cable, or go BT.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

The cables shown in post #2 are the cables you are supposed to have with a 2012 Spyder. One is for an mp3 player and the one with the ipod plug on it is for you ipod or iPhone. It should allow you to interface with your radio. There is no Bluetooth for the 2012 unless you buy the adapter from BRP for mega $ or you buy it from motorcycledave.com. Same thing only cheaper and it comes with the cord you need to hook it up to your radio, which BRP wants to charge you extra for.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Actually, gentlemen, your replies are very helpful. Thank you! I suspected that I had the wrong connection cable based on my research, but wasn't sure and I didn't want to start down the rabbit hole of buying $50-75 cables and trying them one after another without getting some feedback from other owners. My trike was in the shop for 2 weeks and a cert Spyder tech went through the whole system and repaired a bunch of electrical stuff. He was emphatic that there are no issues there, and this was specifically on the list. But he did not tell me I had the wrong iPod Integration Cable. There was a bunch of other work done, parts replaced, etc. under my extended warranty. This is the only issue that was not resolved. I'm thinking I'll try either the iPod Integration Cable y'all have or the Bluetooth interface Lamonster offers and see if that fixes it.
    FYI Lil more research found there was a different cable for 2011,(looks like you described)& prior part #219400187 & for 2014 & prior looks likes the one I have is part#219400346. The 3.5mm headphone cable:710001406 hope this helps maybe you just need updated cablethey changed them for some reason

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

So I've got an NTouch iPod Integration Cable that came with my 2012 RTS A&C. It only says Aux and doesn't always connect and I only have volume control. EVERY TIME I hit a bump, it quits working. I was told this was the cable that came with my trike when it was bought new from dealership (1 prev owner who is a friend). I've asked about this before and read a ton of threads on these forums about this stuff, and just gave up on it. Factory installed equipment should work.

So there's this round 7-pin female in the trunk (right side). I'm supposed to plug this pigtail in there that has a short coax loooking cable to a box the size of 1.5 Zippo lighters and then another cable running out the same end (back whence it came) to an iPod 30 pin connector. It says NTouch on it, and has no other visible markings. I assume this is the alleged "iPod Integration Cable."

I need to know what I can do to reliably run an iPod Nano (gen 6) or have a dependable Bluetooth interface to the speakers on my Spyder that will let me run Amazon Music via my Samsung Galaxy S7. I'm open to either approach, but I am sick and tired of not having anything but radio on my Spyder, but I don't think I should have to spend hundreds of dollars to replace something that is under warranty. My Spyder spent the past 2 weeks in the shop and this was on the list, but the Cert Spyder Tech said, "Yeah, that's a common problem." Then, there was a woman there picking up her F3 Limited when I was picking mine up and her Bluetooth still wasn't working. (West Coast Powersports in Clearwater, FL...btw) Please help! I am looking for a legit solution and exactly how to get it done.

By your own words, you are in for either a full function IPod setup or a BT setup?

In regards to the IPod setup. You have the 30 pin cable. The IPod model that you have, does is utilize the 30 directly into it or must you run a 30 pin to Lightning adapter.

Many Spyders did not like or function properly with aftermarket 30 pin to Lightning adapters. The trend to good operation was the Apple, not a clone or bootleg copy, but a true known Apple adapter.

Your mention of volume only is one of the problems common to a bad Lightning adapter.

Consider too, I am not sure how your IPod is positioned, mounted or secured. The IPod should not dangle by the wire, or strain the wire and connections.

Our IPod, in the 2014 RTS uses the Can Am cable and an Apple brand Lightning adapter. The left grip controls volume, advances or go backs songs, and while finicky, can find tracks.

Our current setup utilizes both the IPod and BT. The IPod functions as before. It serves as the input device to the Spyder. The Sena BT dongle, mounted beside the IPod, acts as a BT transmitter to the helmet mounted Sena 20s units.

Saying that, the Can Am Dongle or Sena Dongle from the aftermarket with a proper Dongle cable will not recieve, simply transmit. If this is incorrect Finless Bob will correct me.

Wanting to BT into the Spyder, yes you would need a BT reciever as others mentioned. Lamont did this on his F3. You might be able to utilize the Can Am MP3 adapter. This plugged into the BT reciever may work to input into the Spyders audio system. Your left grip would only control volume.

Your BT music would transmit from your device, possibly your phone, or the IPod, however you would need to scroll the screen on the device, plus mount the device where it is accessable in order to do more than change volume.

If I had a true complaint about our setup, by default, the Spyder audio system automatically sets and limits our IPod at 50% volume. The Spyder amp or Sena 20s is used to control actual volume. Downside is background noise. If I BT the Ipod without the Spyder directly to the Sena 20s, no background noise since the IPod volume can be increased and headset volume reduced. With the Spyder setting the volume of the IPod at 50%, the headset must have volume increased and often background noise is heard, but not bad.

If the original poster were closer I would offer our cable and adapter as a test. Best bet is to try and borrow a known good setup, different IPod, known good cable and known Apple adapter. See if it works. If so, try your IPod, if that works try your adapter, then try a different cable.

All the best with it.

Spyder Garage

I pulled up the manual on the IPods Nano 6th gen. It utilizes the 30 pin connector. Disregard my above comments about the Lighning adapter.

The best question is, has anyone else used this IPod model and same generation on a Spyder with good results?

Somehow I thought, while researching the IPod for our Spyder, the Nano Gen 6 was known to have issues. Saying that, it has been a while since I did that research and I could be wrong.

Spyder Garage

Yes. I found the same. I ordered the iPod Integration Cable recommended by the mfg yesterday (same as the ones pictured above). I've got velcro and some extra small pouches. The device didn't dangle, because I have BRP Spyder luggage that a friend gave me when he sold his Spyder. But I did have it sitting on the luggage insert in the rear trunk. So it could "bounce" a bit over bumps. I'll install the new IIC and secure to the trunk in an enclosed pouch. This model iPod Nano has a touch screen, but it can be shut down using the top right button (same as power switch, but different actuation sequence). I always kept the screen locked once I got a playlist selected and running. But making it all secure and enclosed will be an obvious improvement. I knew that wasn't the only issue, because the system failed to sync more often than not and it took multiple tries just to get music through Aux. I've only seen iPod on the display once in over 2 years. So I never addressed the "loose installation." If it doesn't work right sitting still in the garage, it sure won't work right running down the road. So why bother?

When this thing comes, I'll hook it up and make sure it's fully functional and reliable in the garage. Then I'll secure and protect it in the trunk if all goes well.

I decided against the BT approach. I just want MY choice of music.

Thanks again...to everyone...for the help and advice. I'll post a follow-up.

Spyder Garage

When you get it going

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Yes. I found the same. I ordered the iPod Integration Cable recommended by the mfg yesterday (same as the ones pictured above). I've got velcro and some extra small pouches. The device didn't dangle, because I have BRP Spyder luggage that a friend gave me when he sold his Spyder. But I did have it sitting on the luggage insert in the rear trunk. So it could "bounce" a bit over bumps. I'll install the new IIC and secure to the trunk in an enclosed pouch. This model iPod Nano has a touch screen, but it can be shut down using the top right button (same as power switch, but different actuation sequence). I always kept the screen locked once I got a playlist selected and running. But making it all secure and enclosed will be an obvious improvement. I knew that wasn't the only issue, because the system failed to sync more often than not and it took multiple tries just to get music through Aux. I've only seen iPod on the display once in over 2 years. So I never addressed the "loose installation." If it doesn't work right sitting still in the garage, it sure won't work right running down the road. So why bother?

When this thing comes, I'll hook it up and make sure it's fully functional and reliable in the garage. Then I'll secure and protect it in the trunk if all goes well.

I decided against the BT approach. I just want MY choice of music.

Thanks again...to everyone...for the help and advice. I'll post a follow-up.
    If you ever want to spend an afternoon in West Palm, head down and borrow our cable and Ipod. You may not like my music, but you can see if it works better.

Spyder Garage

Hey! A week ahead of schedule, the iPod Integration Cable arrived in today's mail. I took it to the Spyder, plugged it in, and SHAZAM! the whole thing works exactly like it is supposed to. I even stood on the rear floorboards and bounced up and down a dozen times with it playing, used turn signals and high beams, blew the horn, etc. and went through the menus and checked functionality. Perfect! Thanks, fellas!

Spyder Garage

Hey! A week ahead of schedule, the iPod Integration Cable arrived in today's mail. I took it to the Spyder, plugged it in, and SHAZAM! the whole thing works exactly like it is supposed to. I even stood on the rear floorboards and bounced up and down a dozen times with it playing, used turn signals and high beams, blew the horn, etc. and went through the menus and checked functionality. Perfect! Thanks, fellas!
    That's great! Always good to hear about successful solutions for a problem!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Just to clarify, you replaced the previous round 7 pin to Apple 30 pin cable with a new one? Were they the same part number? If I am incorrect, can you explain more what you got that worked to fix it.

Spyder Garage

I replaced the 2011 and earlier one (7 pin to box to 30 pin iPod) NTouch with the OEM 7 pin to 30 pin (current) version. Apparently, the newer cable came out in mid-2012 and some 2012 RTs shipped with the old (and unreliable) one. The later production units shipped with the current version and an Aux (7 pin to 3.5mm audio) cable. I bought mine from a friend who was meticulous in 2016, but the iPod cable was never updated. He probably never used it. The old cable's part # isn't even available anywhere I've found. Might be in the owner's manual. FYI, I bought it from Amazon for about $10 less than the next best price and more than $25 less than direct from Can Am with free shipping; and it arrived in less than 2 days.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

The old cable's part # isn't even available anywhere I've found.
    I mention both part numbers in a post above. Or is it in the other thread?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I mention both part numbers in a post above. Or is it in the other thread?
    Yes, you did list both part #s, but as you explained it has been superceded. So it doesn't even show up in searches for available parts. The one that replaced it is now recommended for ALL Spyders 2014 and before (if I recall correctly).

Spyder Garage

Yes, you did list both part #s, but as you explained it has been superceded. So it doesn't even show up in searches for available parts. The one that replaced it is now recommended for ALL Spyders 2014 and before (if I recall correctly).
    Actually, the old number is still shown in the BRP parts pages for the 2010 & 2011 RTs and listed as "Available". Whether it's still truly available I don't know. The new part number is shown for 2012 to 2017 RTs. So whether the new part can actually replace the old part, and thus can be properly called supeceded, I also don't know. The one parts site I checked may have used superceded simply because they don't carry the old part. It's my understanding the old part had the 5 volt power supply for the iPod in the little box but the radio was revised so the 5 volt power now comes directly from the radio.

It would be interesting to know if the new part can replace the old part, but it's immaterial now. At this point in time it makes little difference to anyone except someone like you who bought a bike with the newer radio version and the old cable and wants to use the iPod connection.

Your issue has been a good learning experience and may be helpful for someone else in the future.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

FYI the box on the old cable reduced 12V to 5V. Later in 2012 the radio changed putting the regulator in the radio thus no longer did the cable need the box.
    You cannot interchange the 2 cables. You might get audio but the iPod / iPhone may not charge while plugged in.

One worry is if you have the older radio and use the new cable, you will be feeding 12V not 5V to the iPod / iPhone. Newer iDevices may have protection from this mistake.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    FYI the box on the old cable reduced 12V to 5V. Later in 2012 the radio changed putting the regulator in the radio thus no longer did the cable need the box.
    You cannot interchange the 2 cables. You might get audio but the iPod / iPhone may not charge while plugged in.

One worry is if you have the older radio and use the new cable, you will be feeding 12V not 5V to the iPod / iPhone. Newer iDevices may have protection from this mistake.

Bob
    I've watched quite a few of your videos on YouTube. Good stuff. Thanks for the input here. Newer cable worked flawlessly on 250 mi ride yesterday. Full iPod functionality. I guess the previous owner had the old cable and new radio. He told me he never used it when I bought the trike from him.

Spyder Garage

I've watched quite a few of your videos on YouTube. Good stuff. Thanks for the input here. Newer cable worked flawlessly on 250 mi ride yesterday. Full iPod functionality. I guess the previous owner had the old cable and new radio. He told me he never used it when I bought the trike from him.
    Yes clearly you have the newer radio. Why the original owner had the old cable with the Spyder is beyond me.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black