Spyder Garage

Default A front wheel WILL come off the ground (I found out this weekend)

I was sort of shooting a gap to make a left turn at an intersection. We were probably going only ~10 mph (I'd guess). I was in a low gear, made a sharp left as I hit the throttle. The front left wheel came off the ground.

I hadn't experienced this before. I quickly backed off the throttle and brought the wheel back down with a bit of a bump (my wife thought we just hit a bump ... no idea what that "bump" was until I told her.)

Still having some new experiences every ride ...

Spyder Garage

Easy to do that when making a tight turn and gassing. Almost like a half-wheelie. Best to ease the throttle on until you're pointing straighter.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

If wheel came off ground, VSS icon would have showed on screen. After you gassed it , wheel off ground, VSS, throttle should have been cut
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Could that be called a nanna nap
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Huh? Your left wheel came off the ground while making a left? Sounds exciting.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post
    I was sort of shooting a gap to make a left turn at an intersection. We were probably going only ~10 mph (I'd guess). I was in a low gear, made a sharp left as I hit the throttle. The front left wheel came off the ground.

I hadn't experienced this before. I quickly backed off the throttle and brought the wheel back down with a bit of a bump (my wife thought we just hit a bump ... no idea what that "bump" was until I told her.)

Still having some new experiences every ride ...
    Same happened to us and in the same situation. Hard left turn and on the throttle hard. I figure it happened quickly and the left wheel was still turning so Nanny saw no difference in the wheel speeds and at that slow speed there wasn't enough centrifugal force to trigger those sensors either. If the rear tire had broken loose Nanny may have jumped in, but whatever surface I was on the Altimax bit hard with no spinning. Electronic safety gadgets are great, but if you bet your life on them it may be the last bet you ever make.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Same happened to us and in the same situation. Hard left turn and on the throttle hard. I figure it happened quickly and the left wheel was still turning so Nanny saw no difference in the wheel speeds and at that slow speed there wasn't enough centrifugal force to trigger those sensors either. If the rear tire had broken loose Nanny may have jumped in, but whatever surface I was on the Altimax bit hard with no spinning. Electronic safety gadgets are great, but if you bet your life on them it may be the last bet you ever make.
    That's probably the most significant thing about successfully lifting a front wheel without triggering the Nanny - if you can keep off the brakes as you work your weight, the steering, & the throttle to keep all the other forces balanced without exceeding the sensor limits (especially the Yaw sensor - there's a smidge of leeway with rear wheel spin, even on an RT! ) it's possible to ryde safely for quite some distance with one front wheel in the air. It's generally easier if you start with a gentle turn & then add in a bit of a blat of harder steering than is strictly necessary to get the wheel up, then it's a balancing act for steering & body movement teamed with some gentle throttle corrections so you can hold the 'Spyder Salute' for a fair way!

But for most ryders, you really don't need to worry too much about lifting a wheel, the Nanny will step in PDQ if she thinks you're gonna go over! . Sure, she can't protect you from the really aggressive wheel lifts that massive evasive action or downright silly/stupid control inputs can bring, but short of those &/or being tagged by something like a kerb or another vehicle, the Nanny is generally more than capable of looking after you!

So, don't be too 'scared' of things like gently lifting a wheel happening, or even of doing something that gets a gentle admonition from the Nanny - it's all stuff you can learn from! . Just work out exactly what it was that you did to produce whatever the particular disturbing event was, and then either learn to keep your ryding inputs juuuust below that limit, or if you're more like some here (opps you might wanta learn how far you can (hopefully gently & progressively ) push that envelope without getting smacked down hard by the Nanny!! . (Or if you're really into pain, you can push it 'til you get slam dunked onto the tarmac! I'm not sayin' nuthin' more 'bout that, except that IT HURTS! . Nanny usually looks after the Spyder tho! )

In the meantime, just........

RIDE MORE, WORRY LESS!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Sounds the same as my (our) experience. I just instinctively backed of the throttle immediately and it came back down. There was no interference from the nanny. Apparently because it was quick, no brake, and no significant slowing of the lifted wheel. But I was looking at the dash and wondering if I was going to have my wrist slapped by the nanny.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have actually been able to pull a short wheelie with both wheels at one of our lights near work . It's a left turn with a slight incline from the light.

I have had a couple people from work see me do it and they tell me they didn't know I could do a wheelie with it.

I didn't know I could do it either nor realized I was doing it because it was such a smooth transition that was happening with the road.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 09-05-2022 at 09:31 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, it happened to me too. Lots of fun. I can do it on
    Command now.
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

I'm having ever so much trouble getting both fronts off at the same time. Rear read is not lasting long at all.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

You guys will enjoy doing that till you snap one of the plastic swaybar links.
    T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Huh? Your left wheel came off the ground while making a left? Sounds exciting.
    Nice catch

Now I am a bit curious too.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So I take you all haven't seen the 6 year old video of the guy test driving one of the Police model Spyders, pulls out of the parking lot in a Spyder salute wheelie. Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zElfDrZzvl8
    Last edited by DGoebel; 11-25-2022 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added link
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

When turning left, the centrifugal force is to the right which could cause the left wheel to lift.

Spyder Garage

I've had that happen on a quick right hander, the missus asked the inevitable and yes it did!
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Now that I know it can happen, I don't really have any intention to do pop up a wheel again, certainly not on purpose. Perhaps if it happens during an evasive maneuver, I will expect it and lean more in preparation?

It's like when I was a teenage driver, many years ago, we would take our cars onto an icy parking lot and spin it around for fun. But I can honestly say that having developed that ice-handling skill saved me from a crash more than once. (For you southerners, yes the roads up north will freeze up from freezing rain or packed snow. )