Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Insurance - Why so High?

I've done my research, and thanks to a lot of you here on the forum all my questions have been answered. I signed up for the 3 wheel course, and took it about a week ago. I was hoping to try out a RT, but the course was done on Rykers. The wife got a lot out of the course seeing that she has always been a pillion, it mostly covers everything I already knew and practice from riding 2 wheels. But it was fun.
    The Last thing I wanted to look into was insurance cost, and I got a major shock. For reference, my Car (2014 Dodge Charger), Truck (2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel), RV (25 ft tow behind trailer), and Bike (2008 Yamaha FJR1300) all together cost me just under $1900 per year (for full coverage on everything, $100 deductible, $100k comp, & towing). The quote I got from Progressive (I used the online quote option off their web site, I currently have my Bike Ins with them) came back at $2100 per year. OUCH0 0!!!! I lowered everything down to the lowest I could ($500 deductible, $50k comp), and it still was $1500 per year. I contacted my Insurance Agent I have everything else insured with, and I am waiting to hear back on a quote from her. I am looking at buying a 2022 RT Limited. My local dealer has it sitting on their showroom floor, ready to go.
    Is this normal. It makes me curious as to what everyone else is paying for their insurance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 09:20 AM. Reason: ' 's & caps %-)
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Problem #1.- you live in Calif. ..... Look into Dairyland and/or Foremost .... Good Luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I second Foremost. I have them, they have a couple of different levels of insurance, I got the top tier one and it's around 400.00 a year. I can't give you the coverage amounts off the top of my head, but I thought it was very affordable.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

My 1st surprise is you ONLY pay $1900/yr for all those machines!
    Here in NJ, I pay $1200 for just 2 cars fully insured (no points/accidents). My 850cc bike & 2020 RT costs ~$600/yr.
    Looks like Cali has those rates reversed!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have everything insured with State Farm. Bikes, cars, rvs, house. Much better rates overall than any other top-tier insurer I've received quotes from.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$476 total top-tier coverage. Had a long discussion with our agent/broker. Conclusion; some companies don't like to insure toys. Primarily because they are not, and do not, wish to become familiar with them and the result is discouragement by charging high premiums.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    My 1st surprise is you ONLY pay $1900/yr for all those machines!
    Here in NJ, I pay $1200 for just 2 cars fully insured (no points/accidents). My 850cc bike & 2020 RT costs ~$600/yr.
    Looks like Cali has those rates reversed!
    You have to be aware of clerical errors, They are not uncommon in the insurance industry.

Spyder Garage

I am also in Kali. My Geico insurance on my Spyder runs about $680 or so a year full coverage. It really depends on what zip code you live in, since they don't base it entirely on your driving but those around you as well.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Your best bet would be to talk to an independent agent. He or she can shop rates from dozens of insurance companies and recommend one that would fit your budget.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I pay about $40 per month for each F3L. I have a multi discount pkg. They also insure my car, my Kawi Mule, and my home.

State Farm is the company. I have a clean driving record...no accidents in about 40 years. No tickets in 20 plus years.

Most are in that same range and that includes other companies.

Shopping around is the key.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

$2100 is way high, I pay $33 a month through Dairyland. 50/100 with a $250 deductible.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I pay about $40 per month for each F3L.

I have a clean driving record...no accidents in about 40 years. No tickets in 20 plus

Shopping around is the key.
    That sounds fair. I burn about twice that in fuel these days.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBlevins View Post
    $2100 is way high, I pay $33 a month through Dairyland. 50/100 with a $250 deductible.
    .... I just received my renewal notice FULL coverage 12 mos. =$207.92 ...... I'm happy .... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have Geico on all my vehicles. The Spyder is about $240/yr for 100/300/50 with $250 & $500 deductibles. My 2007 Honda ATV with same coverage is about $52/yr.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about hearing from some folks who had to use their insurance? So far excellent with Famers. Wifey killed two deer with her jeep for about $5K each and some hail damage at $8K. Paid $3K for a lifetime factory warranty. She threw a cam chain at 200,500 miles for another $8.5K and that insurance paid to install a long block Hemi. No hassle on any of these claims.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 09:26 AM. Reason: excellent ;-)

Spyder Garage

I renewed my coverage this past June for the year. Full coverage, $448.00 through Dairyland.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I renewed my coverage this past June for the year. Full coverage, $448.00 through Dairyland.
    Mine was $478.40 for the same, due next month. It did go up a few dollars since last year.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Mine in NJ is $582 per year for my F3 and Road King. Full coverage w/$250 deduct. with $250/$500/$100k liability.
    3 SUV's full coverage $100 deduct comp and $500 collision costs me $1500 per year. Same liability coverage. No kids and over 65 drivers with clean driving records.
    All through State Farm. All bundled with homeowners. Had a couple deer claims over the years and a 3 times trees hitting the house with no rate increase penalties and great service and claim settlements. Snowmobile and boat coverage is reasonable also.
    It always goes up a couple bucks every year but not too bad.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 09:28 AM. Reason: $'s %-)
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I was expecting something in the $400 to $500 range per year. Back in 2008 when I bought my FJR (New) I think insurance on it was just over $300 per year (it's gone down since). And that was through Progressive. My Agent I use here in town is a independent, I get good rates on my house and other vehicles bundled together. I sent her an email Fri. asking for a quote, I am waiting to hear back on what she has to say.
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
    I was expecting something in the $400 to $500 range per year. Back in 2008 when I bought my FJR (New) I think insurance on it was just over $300 per year (it's gone down since). And that was through Progressive. My Agent I use here in town is a independent, I get good rates on my house and other vehicles bundled together. I sent her an email Fri. asking for a quote, I am waiting to hear back on what she has to say.
    Dairyland is sort of a bit odd ..... last I knew it was a Motorcycle ins. co. ONLY ..... your Agent may not have them on their list. So I would contact them directly ( try 1-800-874-4453 ) good luck .... Mike .... PS my coverage is for 12 FULL months ... no winter cut-off
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-29-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Happily, only two claims in the last 15 years or so. One a car claim...not my fault...an idiot on the ice got my new Forester. About 3K in damage. State Farm was out the next day working on the claim. Fixed to my satisfaction...no rate increase.

Back in 2015, I hit a dog with my brand new 2014 RT-S. It did about $2000 cosmetic damage to the front frunk/fender. State Farm went to the dealer to check it out that same afternoon. They fixed it with no issues. No rate increase for me. Fixed perfect...I drove it until 2020 and put over 46K more miles on it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had Dairyland boo coo years ago when 2wheels was my only transportation and they were the least expensive on the market. Don't Know any more about them, never had a claim to test their reputation. In the '80s and '90s and early '20s, I had a cattle truck I only used twice a year. DMV allowed partial year registrations. I also had a vet on special limited use and mileage. My Farmers' agent asked me if I drove the truck and the vet at the same time. I told him no. He said let's take the vet off and insure the truck when you need it and then put the vet back on when you're finished with the truck. I said wow, can you do that? He said yes, I'm your agent and I'm here to save you money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dairyland is sort of a bit odd ..... last I knew it was a Motorcycle ins. co. ONLY ..... your Agent may not have them on their list. So I would contact them directly ( try 1-800-874-4453 ) good luck .... Mike .... PS my coverage is for 12 FULL months ... no winter cut-off
    Now they do autos, motorcycles and off road vehicles
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Thank you .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I might have to give them a look for my car (21 years old) and my truck (14 years old). I think we're paying close to $1,400 a year combined. I know that's crazy.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited