Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tools needed for Ryker wheel change

You will need BRP socket #529036457, and a torque wrench that goes to 300 nm (221 #lbs). Plus a large external snap ring plyers.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Of course...!!

Or go to the dealer... guess if you do some of your own work it is worth it but seeing as there is no belt you only need it to change the tire. Could rent the wrench or do what I do...220lbs full body weight and an extra jump.... my weight
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Everything else seems to be fairly customer friendly, why not the tire removal. I have to take the front off to wire my led fender lights unless the amber cap on the side comes off because I will run the wires up in that tunnel and the light will start just past the tunnel.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

It's held on with one nut and a spring clip. I'm not sure if you can even rent the tool anywhere. If you watch Sean Smoak's second vlog on the Ryker he shows the tool you need to remove the nut. Also not very many cheap torque wrenches will go that high.
    It seems for all the things that BRP made easier to service on the Ryker, the tires aren't one of them.

Spyder Garage

well its not hard it will just cost you more than you would like if you already had the tools it would be no big deal

Spyder Garage

Don't know what the tool cost but if your handy with a torch or plasma rig you could easily make the tool! And just use the 220, jump method.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

The torque wrench shouldn't be too bad. Even in 3/4" drive its only about $110 . https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7235_200627235

65 mm socket is only about $40. https://www.toolbarn.com/sunex-465m....ce53f7f2a90643
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    The torque wrench shouldn't be too bad. Even in 3/4" drive its only about $110 . https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7235_200627235

65 mm socket is only about $40. https://www.toolbarn.com/sunex-465m....ce53f7f2a90643
    I do not believe that 65 mm socket would work as the nut used on the Ryker is not standard shaped. This is based off what Shawn S. Showed in his first video so I could be wrong.
    As for the T wrench years back I was able to pick up a used snap-on 3/4" that goes up to 250 ft# from a snap-on salesman that was a trade in for a fraction of the cost.

https://youtu.be/nv8ZgGaMN9Y?t=164

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I kinda wonder if my rear wheel wasn't torqued properly. When I accelerate forward after being in reverse.... or, after deceleration/stop... I hear the typical clunk of the drive shaft and then a moment later after the acceleration continues, I hear/feel a pop... almost as if the spline joint slips just a little because the nut isn't tight enough???? I dunno. Thoughts anyone?
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC View Post
    I kinda wonder if my rear wheel wasn't torqued properly. When I accelerate forward after being in reverse.... or, after deceleration/stop... I hear the typical clunk of the drive shaft and then a moment later after the acceleration continues, I hear/feel a pop... almost as if the spline joint slips just a little because the nut isn't tight enough???? I dunno. Thoughts anyone?
    You can go back to the dealer and ask them to check it and see if they will allow you to watch them do it so you will know if they have the correct tools and not doing the 220# Bubba method

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks... I will do that on Wednesday ☺
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Or go to the dealer... guess if you do some of your own work it is worth it but seeing as there is no belt you only need it to change the tire. Could rent the wrench or do what I do...220lbs full body weight and an extra jump.... my weight
    Or, do what I do. Enjoy a few extra calories and use 3/4th of your body weight and not have to try to jump.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

My thought, if you own a Ryker, buy the correct tool. The cost is not inexpensive, but not break the bank.

Get the correct socket, keep a note of the correct torque, then store it on your Ryker at all times. If you have an issue with a flat or failed tire, the current trend from tire shops is not to install a plug from the outside. The tire shop removes the tire and patches it.

Without the correct tool, damage may occurr to the nut, which no doubt is expensive also. Without the tool, a simple flat tire may require a tow to the nearest Can Am dealer, which will likely only replace the tire.

As for the torque wrench, those that have experienced incorrect torques from an inexpensive torque wrench understand why a quality torque wrench is essential. I would be more comfortable applying 110 pounds directly into a 2 foot long bar or 73 pounds onto a 3 foot bar vs using an inexpensive torque wrench that has not been calibrated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC View Post
    What you are hearing is likely drive-line lash. It is common in any shaft drive bike. It is caused by the play between the teeth on the shaft drive meshing with those of the final drive. It actually needs to be there so that the lubricant can flow between the gear teeth. All of my BMW's have done it. It would still be a good idea to verify with the dealer just to be sure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I do not believe that 65 mm socket would work as the nut used on the Ryker is not standard shaped. This is based off what Shawn S. Showed in his first video so I could be wrong.
    As for the T wrench years back I was able to pick up a used snap-on 3/4" that goes up to 250 ft# from a snap-on salesman that was a trade in for a fraction of the cost.

https://youtu.be/nv8ZgGaMN9Y?t=164
    Now I see what you are saying. The nut looks like is way more than 6 sided. The Can-Am tool it will be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Now I see what you are saying. The nut looks like is way more than 6 sided. The Can-Am tool it will be.
    I counted 12.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have a close up picture of the hub nut? Will a standard 65mm hub nut socket fit this?

s-l640.jpg

These are pretty common in the truck service field. Many Fords use a 65mm hub nut. The socket is under $20 at most auto parts stores. $40 will get you a name brand one.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I counted 12.
    This is actually listed as a socket specifically for a 12-point hub nut. It is cheap enough I may buy one and give it a try. If it is not a perfect fit the fall-back plan can still be the Can-Am part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/65mm-HUB-NU...T/262670282877
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 12-25-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: correction

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Does anyone have a close up picture of the hub nut? Will a standard 65mm hub nut socket fit this?

s-l640.jpg

These are pretty common in the truck service field. Many Fords use a 65mm hub nut. The socket is under $20 at most auto parts stores. $40 will get you a name brand one.
    Check out my link in post 10.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Why would Can Am do such a stupid thing. My 1800 Valkyrie is a single swing arm and the wheel is put on with 5 lug nuts just like a car. Doesn't make sense to me. I think their engineers are looking at formula 1 race cars too much.

Spyder Garage

my bike.jpg love my Valkyrie cant wait for my Rally Ryker

Spyder Garage

HAUBEOFF.jpgmaybe one of the Designers has an old Jaguar E ??
    I love the idea of opening the front for service and the way how they fixed the wheels !!

https://mossmotors.com/long-handle-k...nal-knock-offs
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Why would Can Am do such a stupid thing. My 1800 Valkyrie is a single swing arm and the wheel is put on with 5 lug nuts just like a car. Doesn't make sense to me. I think their engineers are looking at formula 1 race cars too much.
    Lower parts count to keep the cost down was the official reason on one of the early vids,same went for the shaft drive it was cheaper to produce than the belt and pulleys etc, with the bonus of being superior engineering for the job at hand.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic