Spyder Garage

Default How to remove right side panel on ST

With a whopping 192 miles on, I seem to have a small coolant leak and want to remove the right side panel to see where it might be coming from...
    There are 2 torx screws towards the front of the panel hear the a-arm and 1 torx screw on the back edge of the panel by the floorboard.
    I removed the screws but couldn't get the panel off. What else is needed to remove this panel?

BTW...I did call the dealer this a.m. and he mentioned possibly needing to replace the oetiker clamp(s) with worm screw clamps, as others have posted elsewhere.
    But getting over there when it's 35 or below might be tough
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the things I do is find a microphisch that shows the parts in an exploded view. Then I can see more detail about what I’ll need to do. There are the two screws in front plus one under the rear. (Above your toe) I remember one or two at the bottom that are also holding the bottom panels.

You might find find a lot of helpful videos on youtube.

Here is is a link to cheap cycle parts.com that you can see all the parts.
    https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...nd-accessories

also canammanuals.com might help
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips! AND...Congrats on the new ryde!

I was just looking on CheapCycleParts, but will also look at Canammanuals...and will bookmark both!
    Last edited by Raprider; 02-02-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Raprider (Rich)

BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher

Spyder Garage

there is two screws on the front and 1 on the back, then you have to pull it out and lift up because there is a tab the sets into the bottom black plastic piece.

I have a thread about a coolant leak, where are you seeing yours? I found that there is one worm style clamp and coming on top and was loose which was causing the leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    With a whopping 192 miles on, I seem to have a small coolant leak and want to remove the right side panel to see where it might be coming from...
    There are 2 torx screws towards the front of the panel hear the a-arm and 1 torx screw on the back edge of the panel by the floorboard.
    I removed the screws but couldn't get the panel off. What else is needed to remove this panel?

BTW...I did call the dealer this a.m. and he mentioned possibly needing to replace the oetiker clamp(s) with worm screw clamps, as others have posted elsewhere.
    But getting over there when it's 35 or below might be tough

Spyder Garage

Be prepared for other coolant leaks. Mine started with the clamp down low one year, then a following year it was clamps up by the throttle bodies that required airbox removal.
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default Coolant leak found

Pulled the right side panel (thanks mavrik!) and found leakage from this clamp...it didn't "feel" loose, but it did tighten about 3/4 turn. Hopefully solves this problem.
    There must be some additional fluid sitting on the bottom rocker panel and deflector panel since there still seems to be a drip.
    Guess I'll be pulling those later

CoolantLeak1.jpgCoolantLeak2.jpg
    Raprider (Rich)

Spyder Garage

Very same place I found my secondary leak. When you pull the bottom panel, be sure to check the oetiker clamp on the hose going to the bottom of the radiator - that is where my primary leak was from. Replaced it with a screw clamp.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

That is where my leak was....spray it down with brake cleaner and let air dry..i bet you will be all set

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Pulled the right side panel (thanks mavrik!) and found leakage from this clamp...it didn't "feel" loose, but it did tighten about 3/4 turn. Hopefully solves this problem.
    There must be some additional fluid sitting on the bottom rocker panel and deflector panel since there still seems to be a drip.
    Guess I'll be pulling those later

CoolantLeak1.jpgCoolantLeak2.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mavrik View Post
    That is where my leak was....spray it down with brake cleaner and let air dry..i bet you will be all set
    What does spraying with brake cleaner do? Is it to make any further leakage more visible? Or something else?
    Raprider (Rich)

Spyder Garage

brake cleaner with dissolve then evaporate so there is no residual left over...then you can see if you have any leak reappear. spray brake cleaner on the area you want, don't get on painted panels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mavrik View Post
    brake cleaner with dissolve then evaporate so there is no residual left over...then you can see if you have any leak reappear. spray brake cleaner on the area you want, don't get on painted panels.
    Thanks mavrik!
    Raprider (Rich)

Spyder Garage

Default Coolant leaks galore

I just went through a total coolant clamp replacement for my 2015 STL due to multiple hose clamp leaks, right side. Dealer replaced 5 or so clamps, (including near the air box) with screw type, and said this is a common problem. Bad news was that BRP would NOT cover this under warranty. On my dime, (actually $400). Buyer beware.