Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt Tensioner

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder4me View Post
    So this kit will fit the F3 Limited? Your site is really unclear by not listing the Limited series, only the F3 model. Thanks.
    It is exactly the same setup whether a F3, an F3-S, or a F3-Ltd. 2015-2017 Guess I should add "All F-3 models". First time that has ever come up. If you order, use a big computer. The smart phone function will not work correctly.

Spyder Garage

Default install

So this kit will fit the F3 Limited? Your site is really unclear by not listing the Limited series, only the F3 model. Thanks.
    I have the same question. Would like to see pics and install would be awesome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonic View Post
    I have the same question. Would like to see pics and install would be awesome
    While we haven't actually videoed our Damper install for the F3's, we felt the one Lamont did for the BRP one was good enough, and our kit mounts exactly the same way.

Here are where our videos are located. Work your way through them. Be aware that some information has been superseded as we refined things. I guess I can do a video, but it may be a while. Kinda busy..... btw: Out of all of the F3 kits here and abroad we have sold, no one has had any trouble installing them.
    http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster/install
    We are getting ready to start offering a new, easier way to align the pulley. It is pretty easy to align the pulley and adjust tracking all at one time. More about it when we launch it. I tried it on a RT today and it worked perfect and was very accurate.

Spyder Garage

Default brp tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I don't know about tightening the belt but an idler works. I have the BRP idler with over 9000 trouble free miles on it but there is a HUGE discussion going on in another thread about upgrading BRPs idler to two bearings or buy Docs. This will be a never ending topic until BRP offers a more resilient solution. My thoughts.
    I watched a you tube video on installing this. It shows it mounted on the top side of the belt. How does this help with belt vibration being on the top?
    If it does, great, I will probably get one. Just wondering.
    thanks

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    While we haven't actually videoed our Damper install for the F3's, we felt the one Lamont did for the BRP one was good enough, and our kit mounts exactly the same way.

Here are where our videos are located. Work your way through them. Be aware that some information has been superseded as we refined things. I guess I can do a video, but it may be a while. Kinda busy..... btw: Out of all of the F3 kits here and abroad we have sold, no one has had any trouble installing them.
    http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster/install
    We are getting ready to start offering a new, easier way to align the pulley. It is pretty easy to align the pulley and adjust tracking all at one time. More about it when we launch it. I tried it on a RT today and it worked perfect and was very accurate.
    Doc, thanks, I will review

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

I had a vibration on my. Rt 120 km got a laser qlighnment vibration gone dealer told me back end out 2 mil from frontend

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonic View Post
    I watched a you tube video on installing this. It shows it mounted on the top side of the belt. How does this help with belt vibration being on the top?
    If it does, great, I will probably get one. Just wondering.
    thanks
    The top of the belt is like a guitar string vibrating and the damper is like pressing a finger on it and stopping it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is my first post here. I had my maiden voyage traveling 330 miles yesterday, we visited Crater Lake and Diamond lake. I have a new 2016 F3 Limited. After doing some searches on here, I now know this crazy vibration is fixable. I was about to call the dealer to start asking. Love the forum. So my question is, there is a lot of recommendations on here for the tensioners, but seems I am limited due to my model. Looks like my only aftermarket option is the Smoothspyder. Has any other owners of a 2016 F3 Limited installed this? Any feedback? Thanks in advance.

I have a 2016 F3 Limited and have the BRP tensioner (aka idler pulley). It removed the vibrations. Very easy install. $40. I have 3000+ miles on the tensioner so far.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 Spyder RS-S and would like to find a tensioner for it. I am new to the bike this year and could hear/feel something but not able to put my finger on what it was. I now understand that it has to be the belt vibration.

Spyder Garage

Not sure it will fit on the RS. Depends on if the area on the left side below the tank is the same. Can you pull panels and post pictures?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickgi View Post
    I have a 2013 Spyder RS-S and would like to find a tensioner for it. I am new to the bike this year and could hear/feel something but not able to put my finger on what it was. I now understand that it has to be the belt vibration.

www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/ I have one of these it has workef fine for 77,000Plus miles I like it easy to install. worth the money jtpollock

Spyder Garage

ok

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/ I have one of these it has workef fine for 77,000Plus miles I like it easy to install. worth the money jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmetcalf View Post
    I just don't understand why these machines need a belt tensioner at all .! If Harley has the same final drive system with no vibration then is there an engineering issue here ..??!
    Sorry for the rant, but really why is there an issue with this on these very pricey machines..?
    BRP want to chime in here ..?
    Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion here .!
    There are dozens of hits when you google Harley Drive Belt Vibration - it's a problem but the engines on those shake so bad most people don't notice the belt vibration.

Spyder Garage

Default Bought mine from Doc.

I didn't even consider any other damper than Doc's. Very happy with it. The kit comes with everything needed. It was an easy install too.
    It was bought in late May and has over 34,000 miles on it, no problems.
    Buy Doc's, I think it's the best.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

The kit #2 - F3 will fit all F3's all years.

https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/

New website - smart phone friendly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeytheb View Post
    There are dozens of hits when you google Harley Drive Belt Vibration - it's a problem but the engines on those shake so bad most people don't notice the belt vibration.

another Harley myth.
    The engines that shake at idle are those that are rubber mounted. The solid mounted engines do not shake.
    The shaking goes away at riding speeds.
    Being a V-twin, they have inherent vibration that inline or flat engines do not have.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

I have recently fitted a damper from Doc Humphrey and it was straightforward to fit and works really well, but probably more important than that he is a great guy to deal with and I would highly recommend him . thanks Doc

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmetcalf View Post
    I just don't understand why these machines need a belt tensioner at all .! If Harley has the same final drive system with no vibration then is there an engineering issue here ..??!
    Here are a couple of comments from a Gates publication from back in 1993. ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000280.pdf

Q. What causes belt-drive vibration and how can it be corrected?
    A. Drive belts experience both vertical and lateral vibrations when their natural frequencies coincide with resonant
    frequency of connected equipment.
    Belt tension can affect the amplitude of this vibration. Therefore, to correct the problem, first check for proper
    tension. A common method to control vertical vibration uses a restraining device (metal rod or idler pulley) placed
    perpendicular to the belt span and close to or lightly touching the belt. This device should be positioned roughly
    1/3 of the span distance from the larger pulley.
    If this does not work, consider changing other drive parameters to reduce the amplitude of vibration or alter its
    frequency. Such parameters include span length, belt type, misalignment, inertia of driving or driven machinery,
    pulley diameter and weight (inertia), speed, and the number of belts. In some cases (where original unit was
    oversized), it may be possible to downsize the drive by reducing the number of belts or belt width, and increasing
    the static tension to alter the belt’s natural frequency so it doesn’t coincide with the excitation frequency of the
    machinery. When it can be done safely, it is preferable to reduce the static tension to keep the operating belt tension
    below the belt’s natural frequency range.

Q. What is the proper procedure for tensioning a drive?
    A. First, consider another question: Why is proper tension necessary? V-belts use friction between the belt
    sidewalls and sides of the sheave to transmit power. By contrast, synchronous belts use the engagement of teeth to
    transmit power.
    Over-tensioning either a V-belt or synchronous belt causes excessive bearing load, reduced belt life, and excessive
    pulley wear. Under-tensioning a V-belt causes belt slippage, whereas under-tensioning a synchronous belt can lead
    to severe tooth wear and even ratcheting (jumping teeth).
    Doc has gotten it right it looks like, lightly at 1/3 of the span.

Mike, you might be interested in noting the last sentence in the quote above.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rigsby View Post
    I have recently fitted a damper from Doc Humphrey and it was straightforward to fit and works really well, but probably more important than that he is a great guy to deal with and I would highly recommend him . thanks Doc
    This. Very easy to install and better built then the BRP one.

Spyder Garage

I just received a Gates 91132 Krikit II Drive Belt Tension Gauge from BajahRon's to check the tension on my F3 drive belt.
    It tells me that I have 200#'s of tension on the belt.
    However I'm getting the vibrations when letting up on the trottle.

Now the belt tensioner will supposedly eliminate the vibrations even though the belt is that tight?

Thanks much, guys, JimSTer

Spyder Garage

Easiest thing to do is reduce belt tension. Yours is way too tight. TST61y014s05 suggests the tension on an F3 be set at 300N +/-100. I would adjust your belt before adding a damper...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Hello canamjhb:

Thanks so much for your input. You've solidified my thoughts that I need to loosen the belt tension some.
    However my tool measures in pounds. So can you translate 300N +/-100 for me?
    I saw 160-180 pounds somewhere on here.

Thanks again, JimSTer

Spyder Garage

My new 2019 special series can am spyder came with belt tensioner from the factory I guess they released that it needed one
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimSter View Post
    Hello canamjhb:

Thanks so much for your input. You've solidified my thoughts that I need to loosen the belt tension some.
    However my tool measures in pounds. So can you translate 300N +/-100 for me?
    I saw 160-180 pounds somewhere on here.

Thanks again, JimSTer
    300 ±100= 200-400N

200 N= 45 Lbs (rounded)

400N= 90 Lbs (rounded)
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I put the BRP tensioner on my RT and on first ride with it installed I heard a clicking sound. So, went home to pull the Tupperware and have a look. And right next to the pulley in the belt is A DAMN PEBBLE STICKING UP THRU THE BELT!! Spyder God looking out for me? I haven't ridden it since I found it. I need to wait until next month's payday to buy a new belt. I just hope it hasn't affected either sprocket.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black