Thread: XPS engine oil

Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 1330 clutch suffers no such issues and can use pretty much any SM rated oil as long as the other parameters are met.
    Is the 1330 clutch NOT still a "wet" one ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Is the 1330 clutch NOT still a "wet" one ??
    As already stated by others, Yes, the 1330 has a wet clutch. BRP changed the friction plate compounds, engagement pressure, etc., to accommodate a wider range of lubricants and lubricant additives/ratings. I assume that they took note of the 998 Rotax wet clutch issues and made changes. Most wet clutch motorcycles do not have issues with lubricants that will slip the 998 clutch. It could also be that BRP knew they were going to an SM rated oil and engineered the new 1330 clutch with that in mind.

Getting BRP to tell you what their thought process is or was is an exercise in futility. So, speculation is all that is left.

But I would agree with JayBros. I'd get some kind of official ruling on using their SM rated oil in an SM5/SE5, (in writing if possible - good luck with that!). If your clutch starts slipping, it's not a cheap fix.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-10-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I look for JASO MA2 in the specs on an oil jug. That indicates it's good to use in motorcycles with wet clutches and cats.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

When I change my oil in about 2000 miles, if I haven't gotten a solid answer from BRP, I'll just get five quarts of a different oil. Cheaper than needing clutch work. Thanks for the input guys.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If your clutch starts slipping, it's not a cheap fix.
    And.....I suspect that designing a clutch that would be immune to the affects of moly sticking to the plates would be next to impossible.......since the stuff apparently sticks to other metal parts inside the engine.

This is probably going to turn out OK......because all SM rated oil does not contain things that are bad for clutches; many but not all.