GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Questions About CB on an F3

I am toying with the idea of getting an F3 Limited that either my hubby or myself could ride -- with his ankle, we know there are going to be days when holding the heavy Indian up is not an option. I would like to add a CB to the F3 with the following setup (know this works because hubby has it on his Indian):

• J&M CB, probably with one of their "shorty" antennas tuned to the CB
    • J&M Bluetooth Interface -- provides a wired connection to the CB
    • The CB assembly is paired, via Bluetooth, to the bike as a headset.
    • On the Indian, the only function lost is the bike's digital control of the radio volume as it is now handled by the CB.

So, given the above set up -- my questions are:
    1. Which year do I buy?
    2. A 2018 with "built in" Bluetooth or a 2017 and then add a Bluetooth dongle?
    3. Can I even add Bluetooth to the 2017?
    4. Those familiar with the new dash -- have the updates allowed play of music through your paired headset or does that still play through the speakers only?
    5. Those familiar with Bluetooth in general on a CanAm Spyder -- do you think this will work? JCTHORNE, I think you installed a Bluetooth dongle on your wife's Spyder, but did not fully integrate with the radio and I believe it was an RT.

Lastly, please AVOID all commentary about using "old" technology. I know that and I don't care to read any opinions on the merits of CB vs. other forms of rider communication. I just want to get the above questions answered.

Thank you for your input …. All the Best …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default Bump

Giving this a bump .... hoping the CB and F3 experts are just out riding!
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Good luck with the J&M option, that might be you best CB option (if I decide to try CB again, that is what I will do), I think Motorcycle Dave has a bluetooth conversion for CBs. I have not had good luck with mounting a Midland CB and getting it to work right and efficiently on my bike.
    My wife rides her own Spyder and I have mine, we use Bluetooth between bikes with Sena units attached to our helmets and that works great for our back and forth talking, no PushToTalk, just say what you want when you want. You can link to other Sena users if they have units in your group, but you can't talk to CBs in your group. You might give McDave a call and see what he says about CB Bluetooth and he also sells Sena units at a great price.
    Good luck, and let us know what works for you........

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

We installed the J&M on Louise F3. There is no way to bluetooth connect the J&M to either old or new BRP Connect version of the factory radio. We installed a SENA CB radio interface to connect the J&M to her SENA headset. All CB control is on the J&M unit itself, including the push to talk switch. All that said, it works very well and links up every time she gets on the bike. No user interaction is required.

I can also say we tried the Midland portable CB with the SENA interface and it was a miserable waste of money. VERY short range. Stick with the J&M. It just works on a bike. Use one of the J&M matched antennas with it.

Hope I answered your questions.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 10-14-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default More Questions

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    .... There is no way to bluetooth connect the J&M to either old or new BRP Connect version of the factory radio.

Hope I answered your questions.
    Thank you …. have you looked at J & M's JMDM-IPBT-JCB03 Bluetooth interface? This provides a wired connection for a headset and a Bluetooth interface to the CB. On my husband's Indian, we pair this unit via Bluetooth as a headset. With what you know about the 2018 digital dash, would a similar pairing work on the Spyder (since it has built in Bluetooth)? Also, if we were successful in getting it paired as a headset, would ALL the audio (CB and Spyder) flow through the headset?

Again … thank you for the response …. Ann
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs

Don't Eat Mud / mudflap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Thank you …. have you looked at J & M's JMDM-IPBT-JCB03 Bluetooth interface? This provides a wired connection for a headset and a Bluetooth interface to the CB. On my husband's Indian, we pair this unit via Bluetooth as a headset. With what you know about the 2018 digital dash, would a similar pairing work on the Spyder (since it has built in Bluetooth)? Also, if we were successful in getting it paired as a headset, would ALL the audio (CB and Spyder) flow through the headset?

Pairing the J&M module to the BRP radio as one of 2 headsets might work (could then only have one other head set connected) Have never tried. But do not see why this would be of any advantage over connecting the CB to your headset directly through the SENA interface. Using the SENA interface the headset can multitask other audio like music, other helmets etc. All that would not work if the radio was paired to the BRP as a headset. If you try it, let others know. I can tell you the setup we have works very well.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default How's the CB working?

We just picked up a '17 Limited, i'm planning to add a J&M 2003, and Garmin 665. The LTD poses a problem with antenna mounting. My idea is to mount a Harley TourPak style antenna on the rear trunk, but I'd really like to hear of alternatives. We will stay with the wired headsets. Any helpful experience is appreciated.

Thom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

• J&M CB, probably with one of their "shorty" antennas tuned to the CB
    • J&M Bluetooth Interface -- provides a wired connection to the CB
    • The CB assembly is paired, via Bluetooth, to the bike as a headset.
    • On the Indian, the only function lost is the bike's digital control of the radio volume as it is now handled by the CB.

So, given the above set up -- my questions are:
    1. Which year do I buy?
    2. A 2018 with "built in" Bluetooth or a 2017 and then add a Bluetooth dongle?
    3. Can I even add Bluetooth to the 2017?
    4. Those familiar with the new dash -- have the updates allowed play of music through your paired headset or does that still play through the speakers only?
    5. Those familiar with Bluetooth in general on a CanAm Spyder -- do you think this will work? JCTHORNE, I think you installed a Bluetooth dongle on your wife's Spyder, but did not fully integrate with the radio and I believe it was an RT.

Lastly, please AVOID all commentary about using "old" technology. I know that and I don't care to read any opinions on the merits of CB vs. other forms of rider communication. I just want to get the above questions answered.

Thank you for your input …. All the Best …. Ann
    I ride a 2018 RT Ltd. I use a Midland 75-822 handheld CB with Sena BT adapter. You can get a PTT button for it as well. It's mounted to the center of the bars and powered with a USB/Cig lighter adapter as the CB comes with a battery pack or cabled cig lighter power plug and external antenna cable. All that is bundled behind the radio. I mount it with RAM components and this bracket. https://www.providence-spyder-access...s/show/7497265

The 2017 and earlier models require a Sena BT dongle that needs special install. No you can't pair a CB to the either the old Sena or newer models as only a phone and headsets are pair-able. for the newer models, you can choose either speakers or headset to listen to music and sounds. BRP does have a CB for the 2017 and earlier models but it doesn't have the best recommendations. (Think its a grounding issue) The Midland uses the rubber ducky antenna which works very well. I ride with Goldwingers.

You would pair the headset to the bike as well as to the Sena or J&M BT adapter. Most new headsets can pair to 2 phones and a GPS.

I wish there was a CB for the newer models. I wish there was a CB radio with bluetooth like the Motorola MU350's FRS walkie talkies.

IMG_1110.jpg IMG_1112.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used a 42" no-ground-plane (NGP) antenna on my F3 mounted on a luggage rack, along with the J&M CB. But, of course, it was hard-wired to my headset. CBs mounted on a motorcycle are difficult as there are no large metal planes to reinforce the signal. The NGP antenna allowed to SWR tune the system. It wasn't as good as my H-D CB, but it worked well with our ride group of 10-30 multi-specied riders. I also tried the Midland handheld attached to the external antenna which worked OK, but is not weather resistant.

IMO, I would avoid BRP Connect altogether as it is quirky and instable. Yes, some have some success, but one must have superior tech savvy. It's not worth the hassle.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP Connect was quirky and, with no real instructions, was a bit complicated at first. As of a few weeks ago it's working great. Some apps are still having problems. (Rever, Cardo) but Sygic GPS Nav, FOBO, FOBO ii, Genius Maps, Dash Radio etc work great. Many videos on Youtube.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP-C is still not worth the effort. One must be a tech geek and put up with glitches that other systems don't have. The thousands of hours you and others have spent trying to figure out how it works without any dealer or BRP support, while commendable, should never have been needed.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I don't think this will help your decision much, but I have to put my 2 cents worth in, because I have been where you are at.
    I put CB on my bikes back in the day when CycleComm was the only show in town. Then when J&M came out with their very compact, handlebar mounted CB, I went with that for decades. Fast forward to graduating to our Spyder and needing a communication system. The thought of having a tether (wire) from the bike to the helmet again was not to my liking, especially when there are some great Bluetooth devices out there. I paid less than half retail for the 4 Sena 20S devices I bought by watching this forum and FB marketplace. They work great, even off the bike. Today, I rode a complicated route I hadn't before, so I put my phone on Bluetooth and turned on the Sena, which was already paired to the phone and got turn-by-turn instructions delivered to my helmet. And the phone was in my jacket pocket.
    Just something to think about.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Matahead View Post
    We just picked up a '17 Limited, i'm planning to add a J&M 2003, and Garmin 665. The LTD poses a problem with antenna mounting. My idea is to mount a Harley TourPak style antenna on the rear trunk, but I'd really like to hear of alternatives. We will stay with the wired headsets. Any helpful experience is appreciated.

Thom
    I have mounted a J&M on my wife's '17 RT-S. Since we don't use Bluetooth for ANYTHING, it was an easy choice to go with a hard-wired system. Have been using J&M on various bikes for the last 15 years and don't mind the wires. For us, it's easier to put up with a wire to the helmet than it is to try to remember to charge the helmet battery, wire in phone charger, keep up with pairing and all that other stuff that makes Bluetooth so "convenient".

Unfortunately, the GPS we use has no audio output other than its internal speaker, so we don't get in-helmet instructions, but I have never had that, so I don't really miss it.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G