Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Your thoughts on When to change spark plugs?

When to change spark plugs? I have a 2015 Spyder RT Limited, and needing a quick recommendation. She is running great and have kept up with all the suggested maintenance procedures except one.
    Talking with a Can AM master mechanic and friend, he suggested I do everything in the book that is recommended, except spark plugs. Because it is running so good, and it is at minimum of 3.5 hours to replace them. Big deal to replace plugs, according to him, and he said he has thrown away a lot of really good spark plugs. My plugs have 41000 miles on them since new.
    Your thoughts and experience on how long the original plugs will last before the big switch.
    “We” are a lot smarter than me.
    Thank you

Spyder Garage

I guess in one sentence by replacing spark plugs with new ones effectively restores the ignition system's efficiency.

Mt previous touring bike was a Goldwing.
    Despite seemingly running fine boy o boy it ran better after the plugs were swapped out at the prescribed time.
    Noticeably better.

Would you hesitate and say yeah nah dont replace that part - its still running fine if it were an engine part on a jet you were about to take to the sky's?
    There is a reason for swapping stuff out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JW -morrow

My suggestion, If it isn't broke, Don't Fix It, sometimes you can end-up with more problems, when you need plugs and wires you will know by the way it starts & runs. JMHO......Bill

You should be good to at least 80K miles.
    Last edited by Knizar; 03-15-2023 at 12:53 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwmorrow View Post
    When to change spark plugs? I have a 2015 Spyder RT Limited, and needing a quick recommendation. She is running great and have kept up with all the suggested maintenance procedures except one.
    Talking with a Can AM master mechanic and friend, he suggested I do everything in the book that is recommended, except spark plugs. Because it is running so good, and it is at minimum of 3.5 hours to replace them. Big deal to replace plugs, according to him, and he said he has thrown away a lot of really good spark plugs. My plugs have 41000 miles on them since new.
    Your thoughts and experience on how long the original plugs will last before the big switch.
    “We” are a lot smarter than me.
    Thank you

I was told the same exact thing by the BRP tech where I have my tough stuff done. I'm pushing 50k. Just a side note. I have been told these types of plugs should be good for a 100k in a V8. Standby for a dozen pages of comments on this one.

Spyder Garage

I've got the 1330 engine in my 2020 F3 limited. The book shows to change out around 29k miles. Now these are irridium plugs and I have got personally 95k miles out of several different automotive engines and they looked like new. I like to follow the book on all upkeep for vehicles I own, but for the plugs on my F3 I will not be following manual and I am about to go on a three thousand mile ride and the last thing I'll be concerned with is the plugs. ymmv.

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm a Bloke that looks after all my own vehicles and attempts to conduct the maintenance the highest standard at all times.
    My favorite tool is an inch pound wrench. So thats where I am coming from.
    Hell I actually change out the engine oil annually on all my bikes no matter how far they have been ridden.

If someone asks I give them the best answer, with no assumptions and shortcuts.

Wow thanks for the heads up 2 dogs on the expected response expectations.
    Unsubscribing from this thread now.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Check the Owners Manual

...I usually like to check out what the Owners Manual says. Hopefully you have one
    for your Spyder.
    Good Luck with your Mission. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Plugs

Like others here, I also don't drink the Kool-aid...... For all those that Follow the book, I wonder how many of them do what BRP says to do if you have a problem .... " bring the Spyder Immediately ( on a trailer - don't drive it ) to a dealer and have them look at it .... .... I doubt many " follow that part of the Book. ..... However that being said, I plan to change mine now ( @ 75,000 + mi ) because I'm 76 .... and this will be the only time I'll do it.... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I mam on my 3rd set of plugs. I changed from stock plugs at 25,000 and again at 75,000. The last 2 sets are the Iridium plugs. My Spyder is also the 998 V-twin. I can change the left side in 10-15 minutes. The right side takes 3-5 hours. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...... However that being said, I plan to change mine now ( @ 75,000 + mi ) because I'm 76 .... and this will be the only time I'll do it.... JMHO .... Mike
    I seriously doubt that. I've seen 76 and you're nowhere finished yet. You've got another 75k+ to go so get with it and don't look back.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-15-2023 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Baja Ron has said the risk of worn spark plugs is not so much engine performance as damage to the ignitors.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An observation for what it's worth. I have not pulled the plugs on my spyder but I did change the iridium plugs on my wife's car at 100k miles. The gap checked out to be .34. The factory gap I was told was .32. I put in new plugs simply because. There were not any problems with the vehicle's operation prior to the change. I've heard, and read on this site, discussions regarding the iridium plug gap being set at .32, .34, and .36 to start with. It seems that gap is not the impairment issue to iridium plugs, it's heat. So, I'm wondering if a gap of .36 is harmful to our ignitors.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Baja Ron has said the risk of worn spark plugs is not so much engine performance as damage to the ignitors.
    Yes because they do build up a resistance and it requires more oomph to make the spark - in layman terms. Putting more load onto the whole system.
    Next minute there are a raft of things breaking down. Then a failure.

Question that ? - well have a search and get yourself informed. Don't sit back and poke the Borax of the childish and obtuse ill informed.

As I said earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I guess in one sentence by replacing spark plugs with new ones effectively restores the ignition system's efficiency.

There is a reason for swapping stuff out.
    I cant fathom the if 'It aint broke...' cop out attitude when it comes to consumable items.
    Guess the subscribers ride to the bitter end and go Waaaaa when it won't go or fails somewhere. Who knows.

New oil and filter? Pifft looks ok to me on the stick.

Other items are like a fuel filter, HCM FILTER, swap out the brake fluid (it absorbs water and can cause water and rust problems within the brake system) why wait until the whole internal guts of the caliper is stuffed and needs replacing when a new fluid change could have prevented it in the first place. Coolant fluid.......

Again there is a reason - things age. Recognizing these things and applying due diligence to them should be SOP. It's called preventative maintenance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-15-2023 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My earlier response was just my opinion, I will never be to old to learn. My knowledge of these newer engines is minimal.
    I don't always follow the crowd, but am always here to listen. I have gotten some damn good advise on this form and will follow it until I can't afford the free enlistment. I have only 20K miles on my 2020 and plugs have not been on my concern list as of yet. Lamonster and BajaRon are my mentors here, when they speak, I listen!.......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

A touchy subject, to be sure. I wasn't going to say anything as people are pretty set in their ways for maintenance items like oil, filters, spark plugs, etc. But I'll throw this into the mix for what it's worth. And it looks like I may be going against the grain here. Have had a lifetime of that!

It doesn't bother me if you disagree, believe me. I'm married!

I know that car manufacturers tell you Iridium plugs will last 100,000 miles. Yes, they will work for 100k, but work well? Cars do better with longevity of spark plugs than do powersport vehicles. Higher average RPM, generally higher compression, and most will accelerate and decelerate harder on their Spyder than they do in their car.

An Iridium spark plug will definitely look much better at the same mileage compared to other spark plugs. But there is more to a spark plug than the electrodes that you can see. There are internal resistors which take a jolt every time the spark plug fires. Granted, they are designed to do so. But there is the inevitable erosion of function, just like with every other 'Wear' component.

In the 3 years or so that we've been doing service. I can't say we have enough data to be dogmatic about this. But we do tend to find coils that need replacing more often when the spark plugs are at high mileage. Of course, the logical argument is that the coils are also at high mileage. And I can't argue with that.

The thing about spark plugs is that they are a 'Boil The Frog' component. They deteriorate at such a slow rate (especially so with Iridium), that you may not notice.

Do you need to change them at 25K? My personal opinion is probably not. At 50k? Yes, I would recommend it. Can you go 100k? Probably. I just don't think it would be for the best.

The big Bug-A-Boo, which I understand completely, is the hassle of changing these spark plugs. My opinion is that if they were easy to change. We wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Again, just my 2 cents. But if you go 100k. I'd certainly like to hear your Before & After report.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-16-2023 at 04:58 PM. Reason: determinate - deteriorate.... bloody spell-check! :-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A Friendly Tip

...I was Told by my Grandfather many moons ago.
    'SON, Toys always come with Add-Builds'.
    That thought has been very true and extremely expensive.

But Wow, I still wanted a Spyder.
    Just wanted to share this with some of you. ....

Stay Healthy and enjoy some Spyder Time. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...I was Told by my Grandfather many moons ago.
    'SON, Toys always come with Add-Builds'.
    That thought has been very true and extremely expensive.

But Wow, I still wanted a Spyder.
    Just wanted to share this with some of you. ....

Stay Healthy and enjoy some Spyder Time. ....
    I agree, your grandfather is wise... I'm not getting into when is best to change plugs... I just follow the advice of people who I feel are in the know... It amazes me how folks will complain about the cost of maintenance in one thread, then go ahead and say that the $1100 seat is a great option... I'm not pointing fingers here so don't take me to heart.... I know that over the last 40yrs of owning a motorcycle, ALL MC's can be expensive to maintain... But I'd rather maintain them than break down.... I'm not much of a wrencher... I'm a Home Remodeler... So I find mechanics that are qualified when I don't have the knowledge to do it myself... I also feel that a lot of home DIYers need to have their head examined for some of the stuff and maintenance they have done to their Homes... END RANT....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2023 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's; advise - advice; then - than ;-)
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    My earlier response was just my opinion, I will never be to old to learn. My knowledge of these newer engines is minimal.
    I don't always follow the crowd, but am always here to listen. I have gotten some damn good advise on this form and will follow it until I can't afford the free enlistment. I have only 20K miles on my 2020 and plugs have not been on my concern list as of yet. Lamonster and BajaRon are my mentors here, when they speak, I listen!.......Bill

No worries there. On Ya for stepping up and posting.

I wholeheartedly agree that the advice from Lamonster and BajaRon is good stuff. The videos have been good for me as well.

Hell its just possible that a senior seemingly fully informed member hereabouts has learned something as well.
    Time I guess for a large bucket of the aforementioned Cook Aid.

Think I will have a Speights.

speights 20220724_161858.jpg

Spyder Garage

80k on my own bike and its running very well on the OEM plugs. IF I were doing the work to replace them, I would be replacing the coils at the same time. Coils are far cheaper than the labor to get to them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replaced my plugs @ 32K miles. You can judge from the photos whether to change them or not.

Yes, it's a major tear down to get to them. I didn't even think about the coils or wires. It did run better after the change..

It isn't only miles, but how many times the spark plug has fired. An automobile engine probable lives at an average of 1500 rpm, that's 750 pulses per minute of the spark plug. Our Spyders probably live in the 3500 to 4500 rpm range: that's 2 to 3 times the number of pulses for the same miles. (Yes, there are more factors, such as speed, that affect that maximum number.) If the recommendation is 100K miles in a car, our Spyder 1330 motors will be about 1/2 to 1/3 of that mileage for comparable wear/erosion.

And that's why I changed mine. And although I repeated a few expletives during the process, I'm satisfied I did it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pauly1; 03-16-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    JW -morrow

My suggestion, If it isn't broke, Don't Fix It, sometimes you can end-up with more problems, when you need plugs and wires you will know by the way it starts & runs. JMHO......Bill

You should be good to at least 80K miles.

2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Pauly1: Boy, that looks like a very large GAP!?!
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Friends 2017 RT got new plugs the other day at under 4K on the clock. It developed a miss, so we trailered it to the Mesa dealer. They installed new plugs, and it has been running fine for her since. One plug looked bad as I understand it; she did not show them to me, but another friend saw them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2023 at 07:39 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Friends 2017 RT got new plugs the other day at under 4K on the clock. It developed a miss, so we trailered it to the Mesa dealer. They installed new plugs, and it has been running fine for her since. One plug looked bad as I understand it; she did not show them to me, but another friend saw them.
    Interesting. Our experience is that if 1 plug on a low mileage Spyder is not good, it's usually a coil or injector issue. If this is the case, it will come back. Bad spark plugs from the factory are extremely rare.

I would compare it to replacing a tire that has worn badly in a few miles as a cure for a bad alignment. I'm wondering if they should have looked a bit further for a cause. I hope it works out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2023 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

pauly1 -- excellent color, minimal deposits. Keep doing whatever you're doing and your grandkids will be riding that Spyder.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike