Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Jackson, Ohio, but haven't heard squat from them. Weather is warming soon and they won't get my bike unless they can turn it quickly. I called them in September and they took my info and said they would call when ready for me. I am going to rattle their cage this week and see what the deal is.
    Navydad, The dealer in Jackson replaced mine 2 weeks ago. I moved to southern Ohio last fall. I contacted them in early Jan. and they said they would call when the part came in. 3 weeks later they called and I trailered it in. It took about 2 hours. Sounds like you need to rattle the cage a bit.

Spyder Garage

Today Nash in Mesa replaced mine. I asked the young guy about my Lamonster belt tensioner, and he responded no problem. Got home to unload it for the trailer and decide to take look up the belt to see the tensioner hanging straight down. Pulled some tupperware and was able to get the roller back on top of the belt without tearing more things apart. I called the service writer and told him that his tech has to be aware of the new factory and aftermarket tensioners. They did get it done in an hour while I waited. My riding buddy is going there tomorrow to have his recall done.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Did a 65 mile ride today. Never once heard that cyclic sound from the rear of the trike, so maybe as some say the new primary drive sprocket solves this also.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I just got mine done today. I was told there was a small amount of red dust, but that mine was one of the cleaner sprockets they've had come through. I also got an oil change, new rear brake pads, and a new rear tire. It all felt great on the ride home.
    Last edited by Reacher68; 02-27-2023 at 11:47 PM.
    2016 F3-T

Places I've ridden.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine was in the shop for 15 days (but I was ill and unable to ride anyway) and I just got it back on Friday 2/24. They said mine was "rusted" on the shaft so badly they had trouble removing it (along with numerous other Spyders that had the same problem). They even busted their wheel-puller and had to order a new one!

Anyhow, I've now ridden about 135 miles and everything seems fine. Especially nice is the quietness: it previously had a constant, annoying "chirring" noise under cruise-load. Now I can hear the engine quietly purring like it should.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    I consider myself very lucky. My new front sprocket was put on yesterday, along with new Vredestein Quatrac SL 175/55R-15 front tires and a BajaRon swaybar. I pick it up tomorrow, and I have a certain twisty road in mind to find out how much the handling has been improved.

Anyway, maybe those who have gotten the new sprocket will reply.
    I'm finally getting mine installed tomorrow. I asked my dealer about the hype that I read on this site that the new sprocket makes the Spyder handle so much better. He feels it is 100% hype and the new sprocket should not make or feel any different. I'm trailering my to my dealer as it too cool to ride so won't know of any difference til the weather turns around? Geez, that could be another month?????
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    I'm finally getting mine installed tomorrow. I asked my dealer about the hype that I read on this site that the new sprocket makes the Spyder handle so much better. He feels it is 100% hype and the new sprocket should not make or feel any different. I'm trailering my to my dealer as it too cool to ride so won't know of any difference til the weather turns around? Geez, that could be another month?????
    BIG F
    I’m wondering if it is as simple as the dealer changing the belt tension or rear alignment during installation (deliberately or otherwise), thus giving the Spyder a different feel, Big F. Mind you, I am only “assuming” they loosen the axle to allow easier belt removal as I have not had the recall (yet ???? )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shawn Smoak did say the teeth on the new sprocket had a slightly different profile to the older version. Could be the difference everyone is noticing. Was that the difference with the white sprocket fix BRP came out with to get rid of the whistling noise some were complaining about?
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

My 2016 RT was done about 3 weeks ago. Took the tech about 1 hr. I took it in for the person I sold it to. No problem.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We had our three F3 models completed. Drop off in the morning and pick up late day via Freedom Powersports, Weatherford, TX. Took a while to get the sprockets ordered in, but once they arrived, the work was completed with a week. (I had replaced a failed sprocket on one and serviced all three with the molylube coating last year, so I wasn't worried about failure.) 2 of the 3 came back with factory spec tension and perfect drive belt alignment; the third one had a significant drive belt mis-alignment which showed up after a 100 mile ride yesterday. Factory spec tension creates a lot of belt harmonics, so I will be adjusting and reducing tension; we don't have belt tensioners on any of the F3's.

I set the drive belt tension at 120-140 (Krikit tension) with the rear wheel lifted off the ground, measured at mid-span between the sprockets, rotating the rear wheel to get multiple measurements around the belt. That belt tension is about the same as I had run on my American V-twin for 15+ years without incident.

Update: upon closer inspection, the first two bikes were done exactly the way I would have done them - "perfect". Kudos to the tech that did the work as he took the time to get them "right", with the belt in the middle of the sprocket and tension in-air @120-130#.
    Last edited by pauly1; 02-28-2023 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added follow up comments
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Mancuso North in Houston installed my sprocket this morning. The mechanic told me it took them 3.5 hours to get old sprocket off - lots of rust. 25,000 miles on the 2016 RT. Very happy to get it completed.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gldwnger View Post
    Navydad, The dealer in Jackson replaced mine 2 weeks ago. I moved to southern Ohio last fall. I contacted them in early Jan. and they said they would call when the part came in. 3 weeks later they called and I trailered it in. It took about 2 hours. Sounds like you need to rattle the cage a bit.
    Rattle rattle. I called Friday and "reminded" them that I had called in September. Saturday morning I was the first guy in the door. Job done
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Rattle rattle. I called Friday and "reminded" them that I had called in September. Saturday morning I was the first guy in the door. Job done
    Glad they got it taken care of for you. I have a appointment with them Tuesday afternoon. Just hope the weather is good for the ride to Jackson.
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Trying to figure out if the replacement sprocket I had put on last fall is the final fix or the interim fix. The original sprocket failed at 14,000 miles on my '19 F3. Dealer replaced it with the white sprocket, P/N 705503244. Manufacture date 2/21. I saw the Shawn Smoak video with the gray sprocket, P/N 705502134 and am now wondering if I need to go back to get that gray sprocket installed to finally get this recall in my rear view. i recently inspected the area around the white sprocket and saw an insignificant amount of graphite colored dust (could imagine it being road dirt) with about 2k miles on it. Is gray the ultimate fix?? TIA for clarification.
    2019 Can Am F3 Limited

Spyder Upgrades/mods:
    F4 Windscreen,
    Ultimate seat and Driver's backrest,
    Lamonster Fog lights,
    Lamonster Brake Rod kit,
    CanAm Short Reach Handlebar

Other Current Bike: 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Past Bikes:
    2018 BMW C650CT
    2013 BMW C650GT
    2011 Honda SH150i
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion56 View Post
    Trying to figure out if the replacement sprocket I had put on last fall is the final fix or the interim fix. The original sprocket failed at 14,000 miles on my '19 F3. Dealer replaced it with the white sprocket, P/N 705503244. Manufacture date 2/21. ...... Is gray the ultimate fix??......
    THIS has nothing to do with the Sprocket Recall, those white sprockets were a fix for the howling noises that some Spyders made, but I guess they could be used/substituted for any other sprocket as the Sprocket Recall Interim fix

The Gray Sprocket with the new bolt, washer, & properly cured loctite is the 'Ultimate Fix' for the Sprocket Recall at this stage, cos no owner knows if they'll fail yet!

So YES, you should go back and get the gray sprocket with new bolt, washer, and loctite installed OR YOUR F3 HAS NOT HAD THE RECALL WORK COMPLETED!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2023 at 08:53 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I called Texas Adventure Motorsports in November 2022 for our two F3L's. I have called several times and was told I was near the top of the list. Finally called a couple of weeks ago and was told we were next. took them in when they opened, took about 45 minutes apiece and they were done. I was told there was no red dust on either (one of them had previously had the sprocket changed to the white one.

Glad its done
    John

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter. Great answer. That's what I was thinking, but didn't want to make a wasted trip if white was final.
    2019 Can Am F3 Limited

Spyder Upgrades/mods:
    F4 Windscreen,
    Ultimate seat and Driver's backrest,
    Lamonster Fog lights,
    Lamonster Brake Rod kit,
    CanAm Short Reach Handlebar

Other Current Bike: 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Past Bikes:
    2018 BMW C650CT
    2013 BMW C650GT
    2011 Honda SH150i
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Haven’t gotten the recall notice yet.
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 190243 View Post
    Haven’t gotten the recall notice yet.
    You might not ever!! According to BRP, this sprocket recall only applied to SOME of the Spyders in the given year range; so who knows, you might be lucky.... However, just to be sure, I'd suggest that you or your dealer should run your VIN & check it against the recall notice just to be sure that you're not riding a ticking time bomb of a sprocket waiting to fail!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine will hopefully be traded soon and the dealer can do it.

Spyder Garage

Default Sprocket Update

Woo Hoo!!! Got the sprocket done yesterday. In and out in just around 30 minutes!!!
    2018 F3 Limited

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Good Deal

...I think you ought to be very pleased. I know I was after my Spyder Dealer finally finished my.

Enjoy your Spyder Ryde Times. ......

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default loctite info

I wish that BRP would publish which type of loctite is being used, also other details such if an activator is being used (and which type).

I looked at the specs for both LOCTITE 603 and LOCTITE 609. Both show a cure time of at least 6 hours to achieve a 100% full strength on steel.
    603cure time 603.jpg 609cure time 609.jpg

The gap between the two surfaces also make a difference for curing time.
    603gap 603.jpg 609gap 609.jpg

Also the air temperature (in the shop and parts involved) can effect the cure time. Ideal temperature is above 40 degrees.
    603Temperature 603.jpg 609Temperature 609.jpg

The cure time can be shortened by using Activator SF 7649 or Activator SF 7471.
    603activator 603.jpg 609activator 609.jpg

So if a dealer is allowing the Spyder to be used in less than 6 hours they might be using an activator.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Haven't even gotten my new-to-me 2017 RTL from the previous owner yet but BRP was very quick to reply to my email confirming that the recall hadn't been done and then sending me their records and flagging the recall. They provided a list of nearby dealers and I was able to get it booked in for April 20.

The previous owner had it inspected last year by a service shop that specializes in BRP products and they said it was fine -- and its only got 25800km (16000mi) on it so it should hang together for me for a month -- especially if the cold weather hangs on.

YMMV

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>