Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    this is indeed an interesting announcement. did they say they would be discontinuing the gas version or did I miss that?
    BIG F
    On social media, BRP and Can-Am have said they have no plans to discontinue the gas version of current lines. What is left unanswered is whether BRP (and Rotax) plans to continue to invest in research and development in new gas engine designs or not. It may be what we have in ICE now for the Ryker/Spyder is what we have for the future. I think it's a smart move for Can-Am to initially focus on a new product line (the two-wheel motorcycles) set to release in 2024 and see how the market are for those before marketing an EV three-wheeler (planned for no later than 2026). Electric dirt bikes right now seems to be the booming market right now, with almost all legacy motorcycle manufacturers have one already or plan to have one on the market soon. Motocross bikes looking for instant torque, light weight designs, and less concern for touring range makes them a candidate for EV versions to be introduced.
    Last edited by BryanSD; 03-29-2022 at 01:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Would a hybrid be out of the question?

I recently picked up my Ford Maverick XL hybrid with no accessories was $20,000.00
    Cheaper than the Spyder I own now. I'm getting 47 miles a gallon which is really hard to believe.
    It has fast acceleration with no shifting gears.

This thing is really a motor running a generator that charges a battery with a continuous transmission.
    Would the platform of the Spyder be too small for this? Would you really need any transmission for this
    Just run it off the electric motor or rear hub motor? The battery pack would not have to be very big.

I'm not ready to step into a totally electric vehicle or motorcycle yet without a network of charging Stations.

But if you could get 47 miles a gallon out of little 4 door pickup. What could you get on of a hybrid Spyder ?

Would you buy one if it had the same power as the one you have now and would get 80 miles to the gallon.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Big news is here to elevate Can-Am
    https://news.brp.com/news-releases/n...lectric-lineup

Valcourt, Québec, March 25, 2022 – BRP Inc. (TSXOO; NASDAQOOO) announces today that the iconic Can-Am brand is returning to its motorcycle roots with a product line-up that will be completely electric. To mark the 50th anniversary of the beloved Can-Am brand, the Company will launch a family of electric 2-wheel motorcycles.

"With the motorcycle industry shifting to electric, we saw an opportunity to reclaim our motorcycle heritage and to re-enter the market. This new product category is extremely important to us, and we are thrilled that Can-Am motorcycles are the first EV models in BRP’s electric lineup to be confirmed to consumers. Many of us have very fond memories of riding the early dirt bike models, and now we look forward to building on the rich history of the Can-Am brand to inspire and impress a new generation of motorcyclists and electric vehicle enthusiasts”, said José Boisjoli, President and CEO of BRP.

The first Can-Am motorcycle was introduced in 1973 and immediately reigned over motocross and endurance racing. The instant success elevated the brand to an iconic status right from the start. Half a century later, the new products have been developed with many different riders in mind, more specifically for those who crave adventure, seek the thrill of the open road, long for a quiet ride in the country or want to liven up the city streets. Riders can expect these new state-of-the-art electric Can-Am motorcycles to be perfect for everyday commuting and, to stay true to the track & trail heritage of the brand, recreational on- and off-road riding.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS View Post
    I recently picked up my Ford Maverick XL hybrid with no accessories was $20,000.00
    Cheaper than the Spyder I own now. I'm getting 47 miles a gallon which is really hard to believe.
    It has fast acceleration with no shifting gears.

This thing is really a motor running a generator that charges a battery with a continuous transmission.
    Would the platform of the Spyder be too small for this? Would you really need any transmission for this
    Just run it off the electric motor or rear hub motor? The battery pack would not have to be very big.

I'm not ready to step into a totally electric vehicle or motorcycle yet without a network of charging Stations.

But if you could get 47 miles a gallon out of little 4 door pickup. What could you get on of a hybrid Spyder ?

Would you buy one if it had the same power as the one you have now and would get 80 miles to the gallon.
    I didn't realize the new Maverick pickup was a hybrid...glad you're liking it. With regards to a Spyder Hybrid, about 10 years ago Can-Am did develop a concept version. Not sure why Can-Am decided not to pursue the hybrid version and go all-in on electric instead. Video below shows the Spyder hybrid.

Spyder Garage

Wow,
    I did not know this.

Thanks

Nexus

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"California could ban all gas-powered generators and mowers by 2024." Check it out for yourself if you don't believe it. The current plan is to ban the sale and importation of ALL small gas engines by 2024. The definition of a small gas engine is not been clearly defined as of yet. Right now the plan is to ban sales by 24, possession and use of small gas engines is still up in the air.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    "California could ban all gas-powered generators and mowers by 2024." Check it out for yourself if you don't believe it. The current plan is to ban the sale and importation of ALL small gas engines by 2024. The definition of a small gas engine is not been clearly defined as of yet. Right now the plan is to ban sales by 24, possession and use of small gas engines is still up in the air.
    That will play out very interestingly. Vouchers for people to purchase newer non gas powered generators and small engine operated machines? Tax credit?

Spyder Garage

From what I read, the sales of small-gas engines (mowers, snow blower, leave blower, etc) would be banned by 2024 and portable gas-powered generators by 2028. Well at least it bans the sales and not the use. Despite having converted to all battery-powered for my mower, snow blower, and outdoor tools and never wanting to go back to gas...that 2024 deadline isn't feasible in my opinion with today's supply chain issues.

And I think that's just plain nuts to ban the sale of portable gas generators as there is really no practical substitute. There is nothing portable with so called "battery storage generators" and most of them will be drained in power within 12 hours of use. I know too many people that owe their life and property to portable gas generators after a winter or summer storm hits us here in the central United States. It can take a week or two before power is restored.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    From what I read, the sales of small-gas engines (mowers, snow blower, leave blower, etc) would be banned by 2024 and portable gas-powered generators by 2028. Well at least it bans the sales and not the use. Despite having converted to all battery-powered for my mower, snow blower, and outdoor tools and never wanting to go back to gas...that 2024 deadline isn't feasible in my opinion with today's supply chain issues.

And I think that's just plain nuts to ban the sale of portable gas generators as there is really no practical substitute. There is nothing portable with so called "battery storage generators" and most of them will be drained in power within 12 hours of use. I know too many people that owe their life and property to portable gas generators after a winter or summer storm hits us here in the central United States. It can take a week or two before power is restored.
    Sounds like you have a good grasp on the situation and experience on both sides of the equation. These proposals headed for legislation are seemingly drafted by legislators who likely live in highrises and have chauffeurs who transport them to and from work. In the area I live generators have been the primary survival tool over the past year. Power outages still plague rural residents who need power for health reasons.

Spyder Garage

I got the BRP advertisement about the new electric bikes.

2024...we will look forward to seeing what they come up with. I am still interested in miles per charge and price point.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I got the BRP advertisement about the new electric bikes.

2024...we will look forward to seeing what they come up with. I am still interested in miles per charge and price point.
    Exactly. And perhaps where we can recharge when on the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    Exactly. And perhaps where we can recharge when on the road.
    I attend a monthly meeting at a local restaurant that supports EV charging stations. Been watching them for several months now. The location is becoming more and more popular as time goes by. Just imagine if you were on the road and had to wait 1 or 2 hours in line to get a full charge. Aaaaa not me.

Spyder Garage

I attend a monthly meeting at a local restaurant that supports EV charging stations. Been watching them for several months now. The location is becoming more and more popular as time goes by. Just imagine if you were on the road and had to wait 1 or 2 hours in line to get a full charge. Aaaaa not me.
    I second, third, and fourth your comment about waiting in line. What are they thinking? I really don't believe they have their heads on straight over this one. Wait until "millions" are in line to charge their vehicles at the same time. Is this going to put an end to vacations more than 200 miles from home. Are we eventually going to need "papers" to travel from state to state? A joke for now, but time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I do not know the specs of the new electric Can Am motorcycles or future electric Spyders. But I can make some guesses on charge rates.

Level 1. 120V 15 amp AC wall outlet should charge at around 6 miles per hour.
    Level 2. 240V 40 amp AC outlet should charge at 25 to 30 miles per hour.
    Level 3. 480V DC charger should charge at 15 to 20 miles per minute. But only up to 80% charge. Charge rate will drop way off higher then 80%.

I repeat these are just guesses based on car rates and the Can Am products will have smaller batteries but travel farther per kwh. Also the onboard charger may not be able to handle Level 2 charging, do to charger size and weight.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I second, third, and fourth your comment about waiting in line. What are they thinking? I really don't believe they have their heads on straight over this one. Wait until "millions" are in line to charge their vehicles at the same time. Is this going to put an end to vacations more than 200 miles from home. Are we eventually going to need "papers" to travel from state to state? A joke for now, but time will tell.
    Glad to see someone else out there has a bit of insight into the future of this EV thing. Once everyone owns and operates an EV what do you think the cost will be to operate your home. Could power bills exceed your mortgage payment? Does anyone know how a non-gas-powered generator works? Just asking.

Spyder Garage

Are we eventually going to need "papers" to travel from state to state? .
    Sorry, you are not allowed to enter because your road use tax stamp for our state is out of date.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Sorry, you are not allowed to enter because your road use tax stamp for our state is out of date.
    And by the way, your vaccine passport needs updating. You need 17 boosters to be compliant with our state's inoculation requirements.

Spyder Garage

Default Plug-in hybrid experience

Quote Originally Posted by hut1 View Post
    I for one think EV's will be a "significant part" of our motoring future. It may or may not be the predominate mode in most of our lifetimes, but I believe it's here to stay. I would love to hear from any of our members who have first hand experience with EV's, cars or motorcycles. Personally I have regular access to a Tesla Model 3. I say "access" because it belonged to my late father-in-law and we now use it to run errands and transport my mother-in-law. FIL also installed a Tesla solar roof and 3 Powerwall batteries. For the way we use the car, solar takes care of all the charging power needed. Granted, this isn't for everyone; and the total investment is substantial, but I embrace the concept and envision other "alternative energy" vehicles and power sources in the future.
    In my family, we have owned 3 plug-in hybrids, but no full EVs. 2 Fords (C-Max and Fusion) and now a Chrysler Pacifica. That said, I lease these vehicles rather than buy them because the technology is forever shifting. Three years and it becomes someone else's problem.

The PHEV is good around home, where I can run most errands strictly on battery. Even so, I have no interest at all in car that is strictly EV like Tesla. At least with PHEV you have the gas engine to fall back on for longer trips or if the battery runs out sooner than expected.

There is no maintenance savings with a PHEV, because you still have to service the gas engine. On all 3 PHEVs, we have ended up getting oil changes done because of time (1 year, as per owner's manual) and not because of mileage. Although the electric drivetrain is warrantied for 100k miles, it will be hugely more expensive to replace the battery than to rebuild or even swap out the gas engine. The powertrain is also much more complex to accommodate the two drive systems, so I'd imagine overall the maintenance cost over the life of the vehicle will be higher than gas alone.

I do like the electric motor torque; it feels really strong starting off. Once you're up to speed, that advantage pretty much goes away. Start climbing hills and you'll be running on gas not battery very quickly. Another quirk is that the transmission in all three has been a CVT, and all have electric steering assist.

In a twist I didn't expect, running the heater runs down the battery much quicker than the AC. It appears to me the heater draws far more current, and from a colder battery as well. It does not get really cold where I live, with temps below 30 degrees a rare exception. It does get very hot, although that seems to have a lesser effect on battery capacity.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We agree RideOn, I've owned a Prius, 2 of them, since 2003, both fine machines no complaints, none. It is a gas fueled/battery hybrid for those need to be acquainted.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think you guys are mostly missing the point. I don't believe EV advocates are pushing EV for cross country driving at all. Not even Tesla with their EV truck product is doing so. Your many comments back up that belief. But when you look at how many miles are driven in a day the vast, vast, majority are less than 100 miles per day. I didn't dig deep for a complete number but from the histogram in the linked article it looks like maybe as much as 95% or more of vehicle miles are less than 100 per day. That is the target for EV use. For cross country all but the most naive of EV advocates would have to admit that for cross country travel you will need to consider another form of travel, be it bus, train, plane, or ICE powered vehicles.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Nfkf3gwdL-5bgY

In case you're wondering, I am not a die hard EV advocate. The long term availability of lithium concerns me. Hydrogen is the way to go. Too bad it's so costly yet.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The electricity to my home comes from a utility company that provides on-line usage information. I can track my usage hour by hour. From that I know just how much it costs to do a load of laundry, run the dishwasher, or charge my 36V golf cart. I typically run my golf cart 5-6 miles per day. At that usage, it costs me 15 cents to recharge. Or, about 3 cents per mile. BUT..... I am only moving a relatively small vehicle at a very slow speed (8-10 MPH)....... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The electricity to my home comes from a utility company that provides on-line usage information. I can track my usage hour by hour. From that I know just how much it costs to do a load of laundry, run the dishwasher, or charge my 36V golf cart. I typically run my golf cart 5-6 miles per day. At that usage, it costs me 15 cents to recharge. Or, about 3 cents per mile. BUT..... I am only moving a relatively small vehicle at a very slow speed (8-10 MPH)....... Jim
    That's very interesting, would be nice to know what different appliances cost to operate.
    Just a minute, "Say honey, Would you turn off your vibrator, your going to put us in the poor house!"
    Might have to look into getting a meter to check out different things around the house.........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    That's very interesting, would be nice to know what different appliances cost to operate.
    Just a minute, "Say honey, Would you turn off your vibrator, your going to put us in the poor house!"
    Might have to look into getting a meter to check out different things around the house.........Bill
    Kill-A-Watt meter is what you want!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I own a Pacifica PHEV. I have come to the conclusion that the idea of EV's being for everyone for all situations is ludicrous. EV's are excellent for urban or suburban around town errands or going to and from work. But they are not the right tool for the job for rural settings, cold weather, or longer distance travel. The basis for the technology is just not correct for those uses anymore than an ICE would be the right power source for an iphone. The best solution is both and let the consumer decide what works best for them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2022 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Political comment removed.

Spyder Garage

have there been any updates on electric spyders and not just the can am electric two wheelers?