Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I’m sure you won’t get “moderated” Cobwebs.

It would be interesting to know if BRP are including the instruction to allow the Loctite to set, and dealers mechs are ignoring it, or if the dealer mechs are simply not reading the “instructions on the packet”, and not suggesting to customers that they let the repair cure in the workshop overnight…..it’s your call, Mr/Mrs Customer, but we recommend allowing it to cure. Allowing it to cure overnight would not affect the 45 minutes BRP have allowed the dealer to perform the warranty fix.

I know one thing for sure. I will be booking in overnight if I have to drop my RT in for the “fix” (probably riding it to the nearby hotel/motel to sit overnight.)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vulkus View Post
    When I called up my dealer they told me that, when the recall has finished in the States they will be issuing the recall in Australia. As there is currently not enough sprockets for supply.
    Logic would be, seeing as it's a safety issue that the highest mileage units should be replaced first but it seems dealers with the highest sales get preference. Zero $%#!s given by BRP.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default On The Schedule List

... I called my Spyder Dealer and ask about the front sprocket replacement. They are now scheduling on a weekly basis. Sooooooo if a sprocket update kit comes in they will call me. I still have a waiting time, but hopefully it will be done by April. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

It would be interesting to know if BRP are including the instruction to allow the Loctite to set, and dealers mechs are ignoring it, or if the dealer mechs are simply not reading the “instructions on the packet”, and not suggesting to customers that they let the repair cure in the workshop overnight…..it’s your call, Mr/Mrs Customer, but we recommend allowing it to cure. Allowing it to cure overnight would not affect the 45 minutes BRP have allowed the dealer to perform the warranty fix.

I know one thing for sure. I will be booking in overnight if I have to drop my RT in for the “fix” (probably riding it to the nearby hotel/motel to sit overnight.)

Pete
    Hope your right Pete but you never know, when I get on a roll .....................
    Without the curing it's a pointless exercise given there's been no definitive statement from BRP about the metallurgy being incorrect on the original sprockets and whether the replacements are an actual improvement if so. The very fact that the replacement needs loctite sort of points to the cheapest fix they could come up with along with a $1 washer and quick cnc skimming.
    Last time I looked I couldn't find a dealer that doesn't have a pick up and delivery van and if BRP has to cough up the bill for that to swing into action for all customers that require it that's how it should be. After all safety is BRP's highest priority bla bla bla...............
    If I were a dealer I'd be very wary of shortcutting because you might be setting yourself up for a world of litigious hurt that BRP will absolve themselves of leaving you to duke it out on your own not to mention your own reputation as a trusted source for further work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got my first inspection yesterday (Friday the 13th!) and was told they aren't even replacing sprockets unless needed. If needed, they will order one and will call me back when my turn comes in the (long) backorder wait list.

Mine wasn't too bad, even for my high mileage, but WAS serviced and WILL be replaced, so my replacement is on-order. They estimated receipt sometime in March at the earliest. Meanwhile, the sprocket doesn't look to be at high risk of failure, so go ahead and ride, but try not to abuse it (which I don't anyway...).

And my winter-filthy Spidey got a nice freebie wash job!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I just got my replacement sprocket put on today. The dealer I took it too, had 1 in stock and I was able to get it and it's the permanent fix. So am thankful for that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-17-2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    I just got my replacement sprocket put on today. The dealer I took it too, had 1 in stock and I was able to get it and it's the permanent fix. So am thankful for that.
    We all that you're right! Time and miles will tell, let me know in 100K how it's standing up. A little early for them to call it "The Final Fix". Good Luck Bill
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-17-2023 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Pete
    Has anyone seen the BRP instruction, and if so, exactly what does it say about curing?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Has anyone seen the BRP instruction, and if so, exactly what does it say about curing?
    Techs get zonked for releasing information like that.
    Scroll to 6.30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIu2lzLTe28&t=391s
    Various times shown for full cure dependant on material - http://tds.henkel.com/tds5/Studio/Sh...uthorization=2
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-18-2023 at 09:17 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Techs get zonked for releasing information like that.
    Scroll to 6.30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIu2lzLTe28&t=391s
    Various times shown for full cure dependant on material - http://tds.henkel.com/tds5/Studio/Sh...uthorization=2

BRP might not release that type of information, but it is pretty good bet that you can get the most accurate information from Loctite. Probably just look up the instructions on the web. If not, you can be sure the Loctite Corp website has the correct information available. They may even have a recommendation for type to use for securing splined gears. Locktite should have a vested interest in having satisfied customers that will continue to buy their products. BRP should have an interest too, but they also have an interest in keeping dealerships in business. Follow the Deniro!
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

After reading Loctite charts about how much time it takes the 609 to set up, it looks to me, like 6 hours is about the minimum recommended. Maybe i'm reading it wrong, but at any rate its clear the Loctite should be allowed to harden thoroughly.

I had about 20 minutes on mine!

If I thought I could remove my belt I'd be tempted to pull the sprocket and do it right, but I'd use 648 which looks to me like the better one.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Default Still Waiting

.... I am being told that two Kits are coming in February. One of the Kits supposedly 'has my name' is for me.
    Time will tell. Hoping for some very GOOOOOOD news. .........

Spyder Garage

After reading Loctite charts about how much time it takes the 609 to set up, it looks to me, like 6 hours is about the minimum recommended. Maybe i'm reading it wrong, but at any rate its clear the Loctite should be allowed to harden thoroughly.

I had about 20 minutes on mine!

If I thought I could remove my belt I'd be tempted to pull the sprocket and do it right, but I'd use 648 which looks to me like the better one.
    …….the only rider on that is that Lamonster believe that if you ride carefully, for a shortish distance to home, and then leave it to fully cure, there should not be an issue, Ulf

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

…….the only rider on that is that Lamonster believe that if you ride carefully, for a shortish distance to home, and then leave it to fully cure, there should not be an issue, Ulf

Pete
    I think that is the sort of advice that Shawn Smoak alludes to of being careful about from a litigation point of view.In other words if the repair isn't followed to the letter and a problem arises the heavies will have your ass for breakfast.

Spyder Garage

I think that is the sort of advice that Shawn Smoak alludes to of being careful about from a litigation point of view.In other words if the repair isn't followed to the letter and a problem arises the heavies will have your ass for breakfast.
    You might be right, but if you're told "you're good to go" immediately after installation, I believe I'm covered if there is a problem in the future.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

You might be right, but if you're told "you're good to go" immediately after installation, I believe I'm covered if there is a problem in the future.
    Yeah, YOU are probably “covered”, Ulf, but your Spyder will be off the road for quite a while if the new sprocket fails, while BRP and the Dealer argue over who is responsible and should wear the cost. BRP might be able to drag that out for years

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Pete: good point. I know the mechanic well enough to ask him to save me a good used one (assuming they are tossing them out) for backup purposes.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As long as that problem isn't a box full of neutrals just as the semi flattens the bejezus out of you because the job was done incorrectly.
    The whole point of the recall is for safety. Someone must have been killed or injured to set the whole process in motion. If it was just a complaint about the quality of fit or longevity they (BRP) would say it's a consumable just like the belts, spark plugs, tyres, etc. Look at the bitching about Kenda's that goes on but have we been contacted to have them replaced free of charge.
    IF the dealers are told to do it a certain way and they cut corners isn't that the same as BRP not even acknowledging there's a problem, so they are worse than BRP from a safety point of view if that's their advice.
    AS for saving your used sprocket for a backup, would you fit a worn-out Kenda as a backup? If you fit the sprocket down the track for whatever reason, you would pretty much be admitting you're not overly concerned for your safety, so why even bother getting the replacement now?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2023 at 05:36 PM. Reason: ' 's & ,'s ;-)

Spyder Garage

What years and model for the sprocket replacement? Mine is a 2014 RT Limited. Have not received anything or notice from factory.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Pete: good point. I know the mechanic well enough to ask him to save me a good used one (assuming they are tossing them out) for backup purposes.
    I would think that they're meant to be sending them back to BRP as part of the recall.... That's the usual requirement, at least it is here in Oz...

Still, as Cobwebs mentioned, is it really such a great idea to even think about replacing a 'new but now has also failed' sprocket with a 'so defective that it was subject to an officially mandated safety recall' sprocket that's been taken off your Spyder cos it wasn't up to doing its job safely/reliably anymore??

You'd REALLY wanta hope that nothing goes wrong/you don't have a prang if you do, cos YOU deciding to do that could have all sorts of legal ramifications, none of them boding well for you, but likely welcomed gladly by anyone looking for ways to get out of an insurance payout, or worse, seeking redress for any damages/injuries/deaths that might be even remotely argued you contributed towards causing!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    What years and model for the sprocket replacement? Mine is a 2014 RT Limited. Have not received anything or notice from factory.

Jack
    It's all in here Jack:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...procket+recall

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

AS for saving your used sprocket for a backup, would you fit a worn-out Kenda as a backup? If you fit the sprocket down the track for whatever reason, you would pretty much be admitting you're not overly concerned for your safety, so why even bother getting the replacement now?
    Cobwebs, with over 60 years of riding, I think I'm qualified to determine what is safe for me; that's not your call. The point of having a good used one, is to not be stuck in the boonies, or elsewhere, until I can get a new one. Also, don't see the correlation of a "worn out Kenda" to my old sprocket which was still solid!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2023 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display...

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cobwebs, with over 60 years of riding, I think I'm qualified to determine what is safe for me; that's not your call. The point of having a good used one, is to not be stuck in the boonies, or elsewhere, until I can get a new one. Also, don't see the correlation of a "worn out Kenda" to my old sprocket which was still solid!
    BRP think the sprockets aren't safe yet you let them and your dealer determine your fate. I'm merely pointing out the riskiness of your plan should it backfire on you.Enjoy lugging a spare and the tools needed everywhere you go.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    2014s are not part of the recall. The big mystery that no one, at least no one here on the forum, has learned the answer to is what changed from 2014 to 2015 to cause the fretting problem to crop up. Was it a material change, a slight manufacturing change, or something else?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Mystery???

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    2014s are not part of the recall. The big mystery that no one, at least no one here on the forum, has learned the answer to is what changed from 2014 to 2015 to cause the fretting problem to crop up. Was it a material change, a slight manufacturing change, or something else?
    I guess we will never know that answer. BUT we all can make a guess or TWO...

1. Trying to save a Nickel?
    2. A Nickle Saved is a lot of $$$$.

Have Blessed Day. .... ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2023 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many don't see Post titles, only the title on the 1st post - no point in using them on replies!