Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    I tried the catch can thing and believe that it may be responsible for ALL of my gaskets giving out. I think there was something wrong with the bowl that I had. It leaked oil pretty badly and seemed to have a lot of back pressure on it when I blew through it. After having the bike in the shop five months to stop all of the oil leaks that it probably created I took it off.

I suggest that you leave it alone and just run your oil level lower which will stop most of it. I bought a 20 dollar oil pan and put it under the bike and that is how it is going to stay.
    Sorry for your problems... but I don't think a properly done catch-can would cause any gasket failures. Are you using the sponge now instead?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Sorry for your problems... but I don't think a properly done catch-can would cause any gasket failures. Are you using the sponge now instead?

Spyder Garage

I am running it stock now with only low oil level to reduce blow by. This works well since I am not a high revving kind of guy.

While I used the parts list supplied by Lamonster to make my catch can, I believe that there was something defective in the bowl I used. First it leaked oil out of the bottom of the bowl so that provided no improvement. And it seemed to have a lot of back pressure on it when I would have expected none. I took it off as it was just adding complication to a problem without any benefit. I believe that putting back pressure on this blow by tube is NOT a good idea.

One other oil 'leak' I have just discovered and what caused me to buy the oil pan: When draining the oil some of it gets into this protective cover that is covering a small wire harness that runs through that area. The drained oil gets in this wire harness cover and then it will leak out of the split side of this cover. This is NOT an engine oil leak but it has the same effect on my garage floor. This is the point where I gave up and decided I was happier riding.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Not me...you need to be a plumber to figure mine out!!!

I ran a hose to the catch can and mounted the can to the oil cooler support bracket so I can get to it easily by removing the one panel. The output hose goes back to the air box so it's still EPA legal.

No more oil in the airbox.
    hi any pics of install??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddtoit View Post
    hi any pics of install??
    I don't use a 'Catch Can'. They require maintenance and remove oil from the system. I prefer a modification to the crank case ventilation system. It's cheap, easy, and works fantastic!

CrankCaseBreatherMod.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I don't use a 'Catch Can'. They require maintenance and remove oil from the system. I prefer a modification to the crank case ventilation system. It's cheap, easy, and works fantastic!

CrankCaseBreatherMod.jpg
    G'Mornin' Sir Ron;

If ye kindly could explain what I'm a-lookin' at here would be much appreciated!

That be a whole lotta gear clamps, son! I'm all fer adding chrome, but not that way

Lastly - on a new 1330, I'm to look fer spooge in the airbox to gauge whether or not I need to implement such measures?

Thankee!

Cheers
    E

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    G'Mornin' Sir Ron;

If ye kindly could explain what I'm a-lookin' at here would be much appreciated!

That be a whole lotta gear clamps, son! I'm all fer adding chrome, but not that way

Lastly - on a new 1330, I'm to look fer spooge in the airbox to gauge whether or not I need to implement such measures?

Thankee!

Cheers
    E
    Until Ron chimes in …… I have the 1330 and imho this engine doesn't produce these oil vapors …. or it's taken care of by some means in the engine design …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Until Ron chimes in …… I have the 1330 and imho this engine doesn't produce these oil vapors …. or it's taken care of by some means in the engine design …… Mike
    Howdy;

Thanks fer the reply.

Lookee like Sir Ron ain't gonna share, lol. Hence, I'm free to speculate. Looks to me like a clear cylinder stuffed with red foam filter media plumbed inline with the breather. That'd be fine if it weren't so danged exposed on an F3.

As it is, y'all might as well install an air/oil separator from Campbell-Hausfield parts at Walmart, if yer going fer that industrial emergency triage field repair look

What say you? This is a non-starter fer me.... I'll keep a Mark-1 eyeball on the airbox.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Howdy;

Thanks fer the reply.

Lookee like Sir Ron ain't gonna share, lol. Hence, I'm free to speculate. Looks to me like a clear cylinder stuffed with red foam filter media plumbed inline with the breather. That'd be fine if it weren't so danged exposed on an F3.

As it is, y'all might as well install an air/oil separator from Campbell-Hausfield parts at Walmart, if yer going fer that industrial emergency triage field repair look

What say you? This is a non-starter fer me.... I'll keep a Mark-1 eyeball on the airbox.

Cheers
    E
    As Blueknight says, you're not going to need any modifications to keep oil out of the air box. This was a 998, V-Twin issue. They engineered the 1330 to where it is no longer a problem.

Things do change. And sometimes for the better!~

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    As Blueknight says, you're not going to need any modifications to keep oil out of the air box. This was a 998, V-Twin issue. They engineered the 1330 to where it is no longer a problem.

Things do change. And sometimes for the better!~
    Howdy & Thankee!

I reckon I kin return my separator and shiney new gear clamps to the store

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Well another old thread, 2010, brought back from the dead. It also appears to be in the wrong forum. F3s did not exist in 2010. This thread needs to go back to the GS/RS forum where it likely started to begin with. Before another new user gets confused.
    Not a bad idea. Many see these mods as 'Generic', when actually, they are year and model specific. Resurrecting an old thread, though not necessarily a bad idea. Can run a greater risk of causing confusion.

Confusion definitely runs the gambit. I get customers all the time that heard from a fellow Spyder owner that Item 'A' is the ticket!. Problem being, that item does not apply to their vehicle or situation at all.

It has been mentioned ad nauseum how important it is to give specifics when asking a question or giving advise. But it mainly falls on deaf ears. It's just the way these forums work. So it is important for the reader to assure themselves that whatever they read actually applies, not only to their situation, but to their year and model vehicle.

I am convinced that no one here gives bad advise on purpose. But that doesn't mean you should not exercise due diligence.

A good example is the Original Poster who, for whatever reason, either installed a catch can incorrectly, used the wrong components or had defective parts. He created a big problem for himself. I understand that this may convince some not to do any modifications at all. This is a shame because, done correctly, modifications can make a world of difference in the enjoyment level. And, in the end, most mods are not that difficult to get right.

Have a Great Day out there everyone!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-28-2019 at 12:25 PM.