Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT first impressions

Went and saw 3 new 2020 RTL's today. Two were Blue Chrome and the other is Chalk Chrome. I was impressed with all the changes made since my 2015 RTL. However, all 3 had some issues with fit and finish in my humble opinion. All three have an unacceptably large gap at the rear panel that is the filler between the passenger handgrip attach fittings. You can see a panel screw under the filler, through the gap. This is on both sides. Also, at the rear grip handles, there are rubber boots where the handles attach that do not stay flat on the panel. I'm not nit-picking here, these are all water intrusion problem areas. On one bike, in the showroom, a plastic filler panel was missing. I told the service tech about it in case it was lost in the crate. He said they were aware of it and that Can Am said that the piece was not available for order. In my photo, look closely between the end of the handlebar, and the mirror. Other than these spots, the changes are very impressive! The riding position is much better and the extended floor boards are a huge improvement. The extended rear fender should now control rear wheel spray onto passengers. As we watched, one of the blue ones sold and was being outfitted with the drivers backrest and passenger armrests. The drivers backrest is a must, but the passenger armrests only swing out about an inch. I would have liked to see them pivot upwards for ease of passenger entry. That said, I really want to see the red one. The blue is very nice!

20200125_122244.jpg

Here's the panel gap

20200125_125356.jpg
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comment, I like to read opinions, the good and the less than good.

Spyder Garage

I’ll look at that today. Thanks!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

With all the changes and improvements, will this need a sway bar upgrade still?

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the report. QC in builds is an important factor on a $30K machine.

I DO love that blue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Good read, thanks
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

That is a beauty ... I want one but will wait my turn for the bugs to get worked out. Enjoy early adopters
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I haven't seen a 2020 in the flesh, only in pictures. The new RT's appear to have a wide, flat black plastic nose instead of a slick painted surface.

I don't know about the designers' experience up in Canada, but down here in the Deep South we have large juicy bugs. Lots of 'em (don't get me started on the love bugs which recently moved into the area). And in my experience, flat black plastic is a royal pain to keep clean anyway, no matter where it is on your bike or car. Putting some of that up-front as a bug-smasher, instead of a painted surface, ......... well, better keep a bucket of water and a scrub brush handy for a post-ride scrub-down.

My first thought was WrapMySpyder could make money with a simple, slick bit of black wrap for the nose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I haven't seen a 2020 in the flesh, only in pictures. The new RT's appear to have a wide, flat black plastic nose instead of a slick painted surface.

I don't know about the designers' experience up in Canada, but down here in the Deep South we have large juicy bugs. Lots of 'em (don't get me started on the love bugs which recently moved into the area). And in my experience, flat black plastic is a royal pain to keep clean anyway, no matter where it is on your bike or car. Putting some of that up-front as a bug-smasher, instead of a painted surface, ......... well, better keep a bucket of water and a scrub brush handy for a post-ride scrub-down.

My first thought was WrapMySpyder could make money with a simple, slick bit of black wrap for the nose.
    Just do what I do - put the Spyder in storage during love bug season ! Not worth the trouble to clean up the mess
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My best memory of love bugs when I lived in Louisiana was driving behind a box delivery truck on I-10. The truck went through a dense cloud of love bugs and left a huge square hole in the cloud of bugs. Sure cut down on the number of them that plastered my car!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I looked at the panel gap. Not a water intrusion concern, as the saddlebag is a sealed unit. Water getting in there just drains down, then out. I’m scrubbing them when I get to Texas. The little plastic piece by the mirror can come off pretty easy if you fool with it. I’m sure they will become available - I will sound the alarm up the chain. I plan on waxing several coats on all leading edges. The radiators have new screens. I’ll see how they work. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post

. I actually like the looks of the new RT, but that large area up front does look a little weird, and as stated, will be a heck of a job to keep clean. I hope to see one in person over the next few weeks. Nothing local yet, but I hear they have them in Winston Salem, which is about 1 1/2 hour away.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I just saw my first 2020 RT in person and I like the styling, but I do have some reservations.

Overall there are a LOTS of things to like about the new bike, but this post is going to focus on some of the shortcomings I saw, so that prospective buyers can look at what I write and see if they agree or not, before they blindly put down a deposit.

So I AM being admittedly nitpicky here, but here goes.

There are several places where the panel gaps are too large and don't look all that smooth in transition from one panel to another.

I didn't like the rubber grommet covers over the passenger grab handles. They don't fit well and are flimsy.

The radiators openings are massive and the mesh on the screen covers are too big. Plenty of opportunities for KOTTs. They are guaranteed to be a hoover for road debris. (I prefer the F3 design.)

There are several air deflectors that appear to be afterthoughts added after the bike was produced, possibly to solve some air management issues. To my eye they sort of detract from the overall styling of the bike.

The various panels going from paint to flat black plastic look harder to maintain than the previous RTs. The faux engine covers on the side looks nice, but looks like it would be hard to keep looking good. (Chrome bits mixed with flat black plastic) I have to wonder about panel removal for servicing.

No locking glove box. It's got a USB plug for your cell phone, but you can't just walk away leaving it unattended because it doesn't lock, like the current one.

The frunk is bigger, but it looks to me to be the same dimensionally only deeper because the nose of the bike is taller.

The side cases are the same, including the stupid battery box intrusion. BRP, really????

The top case is broader and flatter than the old one, but not nearly as deep. I can't say about the overall capacity. However, due to the shape change helmet storage is now available in the top case.

The seat is not good and I didn't like it at all. I much prefer the old RT seat or better yet the F3 seat. It has no contour and is flat with a distinct taper on the sides. Aftermarket seat companies will score with this one.

The fuel filler looks to be the same as the original RT, which is not good. Getting that last bit of fuel in the tank is a huge PITA. I like the rider's seat popping open to get to the filler, but I personally prefer the motorcycle style filler on the F3.

The HUGE mud flap on the back tire is going to make tire changes at home very difficult. However, it looks like the huge rubber flap will come off and leave a more reasonable sized flap in place.

The bike I saw was blue with the black accents, so I can't comment on any other color or the chrome accents. I will say that the blue color, which I thought is very attractive and was the color I was thinking about buying/ordering. However, after seeing in in person on the showroom floor is now out. That's because it shows fingerprints really badly and looks like it would be hard to maintain on the road. I want to see the white color in person before I order anything.

Now having seemingly bashed the bike, which is NOT my intention, I do plan on buying one, but only after some road testing by others who might have some opinions based on miles ridden. Or do I just buy a left over RT nearly identical to my current 2014 RT. Time will tell.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I just saw my first 2020 RT in person and I like the styling, but I do have some reservations.

Overall there are a LOTS of things to like about the new bike, but this post is going to focus on some of the shortcomings I saw, so that prospective buyers can look at what I write and see if they agree or not, before they blindly put down a deposit.

So I AM being admittedly nitpicky here, but here goes.
    I held in my hand a catalog brochure and saw all the bonuses that BRP created, then placed a deposit almost 3 months ago.

Thanks for sharing your walk around observations.

Would like to share my thoughts and opinions of your walk around. If there are panel gaps that don't look symmetrical to you, no one will notice unless you ride too slow! No seriously were you able to ask someone there why? pics?

No locking glove box. It's got a USB plug for your cell phone, but you can't just walk away leaving it unattended because it doesn't lock, like the current one.
    My current spyder came with a locking glove box, but that ended 9 years ago when I changed to a Corbin seat, the glove box no longer locked, just snapped down to close. never had anything stolen. Would never leave my phone with Spyder. Always with me all the time, otherwise I might miss a picture, phone call or in California my superstition is we will have an earthquake if I don't have it with me, and then what ( when I shower, it is still within reach)

The frunk is bigger, but it looks to me to be the same dimensionally only deeper because the nose of the bike is taller.

The side cases are the same, including the stupid battery box intrusion. BRP, really????
    Just guessing but the frunk is probably the same as the luggage for the front and side cases I understand have not changed. Crossing fingers my old luggage will still work. On page 48 of the catalog, check her out! Also without the battery waste space the luggage and mold would have changed and the price for that change passed along to us. For me I am ok with that.

The fuel filler looks to be the same as the original RT, which is not good. Getting that last bit of fuel in the tank is a huge PITA. I like the rider's seat popping open to get to the filler, but I personally prefer the motorcycle style filler on the F3.
    for me this will be a non issue, My 2010 RT had a range of 125-150 miles. So getting in every last ounce of fuel was critical, In fact I would get in the habit on long trips of finding gas locations on my Zumo right around 110 miles. These new machines can go 175-225 miles in-between fuel stops.

The bike I saw was blue with the black accents, so I can't comment on any other color or the chrome accents. I will say that the blue color, which I thought is very attractive and was the color I was thinking about buying/ordering. However, after seeing in in person on the showroom floor is now out. That's because it shows fingerprints really badly and looks like it would be hard to maintain on the road. I want to see the white color in person before I order anything.
    did you take any pics you could share? that would help

Now having seemingly bashed the bike, which is NOT my intention, I do plan on buying one, but only after some road testing by others who might have some opinions based on miles ridden. Or do I just buy a left over RT nearly identical to my current 2014 RT. Time will tell.
    Seriously you might be 100% correct on your observations, road test is something I would have liked to try, but I can't stay with my 2010 forever, and my feeling is I will adapt and improve on what I need to, as I love my ride on my 2010 RT. You mentioned the seat not being very good, I ordered the heated comfort seat, was that what was on the one you looked at?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post

As I wait for my Asphalt Grey/Dark Edition to arrive I have read the manual a few times. I am ONE of those people unfortunately....

Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 15.12.12.png
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

Oh my gosh, I called my dealership and they have a white and blue one I can go check out, hey are both sold but said I could sit on them, will take pics and post in a new thread later....gotta run now

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Has anyone seen any red (DEEP MARSALA) ones yet at the dealers?

My dealer said at least 2 more weeks.

Spyder Garage

We ordered a red one and they told us the same thing, two more weeks before they will have any in my area.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
    As I wait for my Asphalt Grey/Dark Edition to arrive I have read the manual a few times. I am ONE of those people unfortunately....

Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 15.12.12.png
    Good to know. This is the first time I've heard that. The sales guy did not know and I honestly didn't try it.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

It's worse than was first thought....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz5vaL3QDM0
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh Good Grief, I've been watching this man's You Tube and his desire for a RTL, and this is what he got, I am shocked! For sure I'm not writing the check for this machine until quality control problems are squared away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    It's worse than was first thought....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz5vaL3QDM0
    I wonder how many dealers will be able to do the retrofit correctly the first time.... given the new construction of the bike?

Also, if you read the comments below that YouTube video, you will see the BRP Rep. response, which is pretty interesting to me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I saw that comment, but if you watched Jim's You Tube, there were numerous fastener holes did that did not match up, some broken plastic panel parts, and no zip ties that I saw. That is sad, I have been following Jim's You Tube and he was ecstatic about getting the 2020 RTL, and now he has to be rather disappointed. I hope the dealer will fix the QC problems.

Spyder Garage

IN another post, BRP has come out and said they are fixing it, and have parts on the way to dealers soon, they went ahead with the launch as it is prime time, and they are prepared to fix the issues. Myself, I will wait for 2 years for the bugs to be worked out, same with the Ryker. I am test riding one soon, but they need another year of production, and a revision first.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS View Post
    Has anyone seen any red (DEEP MARSALA) ones yet at the dealers?

My dealer said at least 2 more weeks.
    The Deep Marsala is the last paint color in the rotation. My dealer says it'll be the end of February till they have one. It's still winter here.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited