Spyder Garage

Default Brake Test : Spyder vs Motorcycle

On a driver safety training ( in Germany) which was mixed - Spyder and motorcycles, they made a brake-test from 60mls/100kmh : BMW tourer needed 140 feet / 42 m , the Spyder(RS 2011) 117 feet / 35 m
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

must be all that rubber we have on the road...but they do stop quick..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No doubt; ABS, plus all that rubber, PLUS three contact points means that we can bring them down from speed in a real hurry!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Try braking in a turn... Absolutely NO Contest with any 2 wheeled machine. It's just physics.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ideally; we shouldn't be doing that anyway...
    But

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Try braking in a turn... Absolutely NO Contest with any 2 wheeled machine. It's just physics.
    I just let the nanny brake for me in corners now... Was that test with a 2013? My 2009 GL1800 can stop way faster (in a straight line) than my 2012 RT.

Edit: I see it was a 2011.

JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 07-20-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I just let the nanny brake for me in corners now... Was that test with a 2013? My 2009 GL1800 can stop way faster (in a straight line) than my 2012 RT.

JT
    I have an '01 GL1800A (ABS) & it has never occurred to me to do a brake test side-by-side to see which stops faster. Might be fun to find out. With my Goldwing, my wife's '08 GS and my '10 RT, I could get a pretty good idea. As you alluded to, the 2013 would be a different story.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I have an '01 GL1800A (ABS) & it has never occurred to me to do a brake test side-by-side to see which stops faster. Might be fun to find out. With my Goldwing, my wife's '08 GS and my '10 RT, I could get a pretty good idea. As you alluded to, the 2013 would be a different story.
    The current organic pads on the Spyder do not stop as well as the original Semi-Metallic pads. It's one of the trade-offs of going Organic. Some market their pads as 'Kevlar' which is simply an organic pad that sounds special.

I don't know if the Goldwing uses organic or Semi-Metallic pads.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would imagine that Honda uses..."Kevlar"!
    Because it's special!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I would imagine that Honda uses..."Kevlar"!
    Because it's special!
    If that were true, then it would stand to reason that you, BOB, are also made out of Kevlar!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well... no.
    But I've been told that my head could have been used to make a pretty good cornerstone for a foundation!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post

JT
    I know only few people who are able to make a brake-test without a "panic-situation " - both the wing and the spyder would lift their back wheels .. I would say try it once again
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The current organic pads on the Spyder do not stop as well as the original Semi-Metallic pads. It's one of the trade-offs of going Organic. Some market their pads as 'Kevlar' which is simply an organic pad that sounds special.

I don't know if the Goldwing uses organic or Semi-Metallic pads.
    By that definition a banana skin would be an organic brake pad as well!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that Yugo gave that a try when they were attempting to capture the automotive marketplace...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well... no.
    But I've been told that my head could have been used to make a pretty good cornerstone for a foundation!
    or a flotation device....
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAL LIFE TEST .....!!!!!

A few days ago My Spyder's brakes were put to the test....Going along a State highway at 55 ? MPH on my 08 GS SM, towing my trailer with Max ( the bulldog wht.70 lbs.) in it when .............Yup some driver (?) blew the STOP sign about 50 ft. in front of us.........and I stood on the brake pedal and prayed really fast....We didn't collide but 10 feet is too da*n close........The G's excerted were enough to spin Max around and he hit the windshield with his rump....No damage .....He's tuffer than me..........Soooooooooooooooo I chase her down and pass her slowing to a stop so she can't get around me ......HA HA that's what I thought.....When I went back towards the woman to introduce myself, she decided to escape by RUNNING me over......Bad idea......for her.......The State Police had a conversation with her later that evening and a few tickets were issued.......If she has the guts / stupidity to PLEAD innocent in COURT I will welcome the opportunity to do my civic duty and NAIL HER AS* TO THE WALL .......just sayin.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    must be all that rubber we have on the road...but they do stop quick..!!
    I agree............................here comes the "but". But, compared to my ZX14 or car ('13 Focus ST).........................the Spyder is disappointing. Still thinking about getting EBC pads from BJR. Props to BRP though for putting braided stainless lines on the Spyder.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    I agree............................here comes the "but". But, compared to my ZX14 or car ('13 Focus ST).........................the Spyder is disappointing. Still thinking about getting EBC pads from BJR. Props to BRP though for putting braided stainless lines on the Spyder.
    i would have to agree I don't know how they did this test against a bike but my BMW would way way out stop my spyder more room for bigger brake rotors and 200 lbs less weight advantage bike ,also lots of the new bikes also have abs when I see a spyder do a stoppee then ill believe
    2 happy happy spyders

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

That little fact would make a Spyder a good first scoot if the weren't so expensive. Can you imagine the number of first time riders lives that could be saved.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    or a flotation device....
    Nooooo....
    I'ts full of SOMETHING; I just don't think that it'd lloat all that well!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    i would have to agree I don't know how they did this test against a bike but my BMW would way way out stop my spyder more room for bigger brake rotors and 200 lbs less weight advantage bike ,also lots of the new bikes also have abs when I see a spyder do a stoppee then ill believe
    Good one; about the stoppee!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My old GSX-Rs and my current Street Triple both out brake my Spyder. Stopping 450lbs vs 900lbs in a straight line is no contest. Now.. in the rain in a curve.. different story.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Some two wheelers might? stop shorter than a Trike, But let me tell you with a full bore emergency stop, You'll have a lot less drama with a Trike, ie, when you don't expect to make an emergency stop and have to do it like right now!! And in real world conditions not a controlled test.....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't know, maybe there's something wrong with the brakes on my 2010 RT. They are just adequate, that's all. I don't know what BMW touring bike they tested but my 2000 BMW R1100RT had much better brakes and the 2003 BMW F650CS that I have now stops better, also. Both BMW's have Brembo ABS brakes. My 1972 RD350 Yamaha with non-ABS drum brakes would also stop better. Only my 1975 BMW R90/6 had poorer brakes and it had terrible brakes. I will agree that, in an emergency stop situation, the stability of the three wheeler is an advantage but I'm not sure that will make up the difference in sheer stopping ability. I haven't ridden a 2013 Spyder but I expect that the Brembo brakes on the 2013's are better. Cotton