Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire wear pattern

I have the 600 with about 800 miles on it. I notice today that the rear tire is wearing faster on the left side. Is there an alignment adjustment for the rear tire?

IMG_0315.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe I read that more time is spent turning left than right do to the fact that we drive on the right side of the road in this country. I tried to figure this out in my head but now my head hurts. cueman

Spyder Garage

Stop taking all the left turns back to the barn!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Probably has something to do with that buttugly bag hanging off the right side. ��

Spyder Garage

Default May be....

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I believe I read that more time is spent turning left than right do to the fact that we drive on the right side of the road in this country. I tried to figure this out in my head but now my head hurts. cueman
    I worked on many a bike for a police department and one of the issues they were claiming to Honda, they rode goldwings, was just this. The wear on the tires was more to the inside. After much study and threats of suits they concluded that those complaining were all cops that rode mostly the freeways and would get on and off in a big oval. Get on and persue then return to the start and do it all again. Many stories about Honda and this police department....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    Probably has something to do with that buttugly bag hanging off the right side. ��
    Not saying that there might be another issue, but. That is closer to reality than you think. If that bag is loaded heavy, it will take weight off the left side of the tire. The tread will scrub on the opposite side of the lean of the bike. Same thing happens with a truck with dual wheels if the tires are not matched diameter, the smaller tire will scrub off the tread faster. So keep your load as equal on both sides.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have over 6,500 miles on my 900, I just took a look to double check but there is very little wear and it is very even. I keep my rear at 28 or 30 psi and 22 psi in the front. I would defiantly figure out the issue before I put a new tire on. I travel at highway speeds on curvy roads most of time. I would think I have more wear than I do. Maybe I'm just lucky. Also temperature is very cool here, 60 is a high most days.I wonder if the tire itself is at fault. P.S I used to live in Port Clint in the Buckeye state many years ago.

Spyder Garage

Crown in the road will cause this

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    I have over 6,500 miles on my 900, I just took a look to double check but there is very little wear and it is very even. I keep my rear at 28 or 30 psi and 22 psi in the front. I would defiantly figure out the issue before I put a new tire on. I travel at highway speeds on curvy roads most of time. I would think I have more wear than I do. Maybe I'm just lucky. Also temperature is very cool here, 60 is a high most days.I wonder if the tire itself is at fault. P.S I used to live in Port Clint in the Buckeye state many years ago.
    Keep going glad to see a high mileage Ryker out there. My rear tire (top) leans to the left. Will be in for the 3000 mile check up to ask why. Has always been that way.

Spyder Garage

To me, the wear on the left side appears to be excessive, especially for only 800 miles. I don't think any of the previously mentioned causes would create THAT much wear in only 800 miles. Time to have your dealer check it out..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I think you are right there is something out of aliment on the rear wheel. Will get back after 3000 mile check up next week.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    I believe this is the cause. I tend to ride close to the right side, which would cause the left side of the rear tire to ride the right side of the crown. I guess I need to ride closer to the center line now and then to equal it out.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    I believe this is the cause. I tend to ride close to the right side, which would cause the left side of the rear tire to ride the right side of the crown. I guess I need to ride closer to the center line now and then to equal it out.
    If this " theory " is true …….then all spyders would suffer the same wear ….. and that is just not the case …… I think there is something wrong with the rear alignment …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It must be a dog to steer if it's that far out! I'd start at the front alignment.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If this " theory " is true …….then all spyders would suffer the same wear ….. and that is just not the case …… I think there is something wrong with the rear alignment …… Mike
    I asked the service dept about rear alignment today and was told there is no rear alignment adjustment on the Ryker like there is on the spiders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    It must be a dog to steer if it's that far out! I'd start at the front alignment.

Not really. It's very stable and corners well.

Spyder Garage

That's right!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    Not saying that there might be another issue, but. That is closer to reality than you think. If that bag is loaded heavy, it will take weight off the left side of the tire. The tread will scrub on the opposite side of the lean of the bike. Same thing happens with a truck with dual wheels if the tires are not matched diameter, the smaller tire will scrub off the tread faster. So keep your load as equal on both sides.
    I seldom have anything in the side case. I use it for helmet storage when I park it.

Wouldn't more weight of the right side cause more wear on the right side of the tire? I'm not an engineer so I'm probably missing the logic. lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A bit off topic but notice this on my Vee rubber rear tire. It appeared one side was higher than the other and felt the higher side would wear faster than the other.

It did appear that the tire was not made uniformly.

Not sure if its the same as what you are seeing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the 600 with about 800 miles on it. I notice today that the rear tire is wearing faster on the left side. Is there an alignment adjustment for the rear tire?

IMG_0315.jpg
    Not really. It's very stable and corners well.
    If it were adjustable at the rear you would then screw up the front alignment.
    Without checking the front alignment your only guessing its handling properly.
    800 miles for that amount of wear suggests a ridiculously out of shape tyre or alignment issues.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I was thinking the same thing.
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I believe I read that more time is spent turning left than right do to the fact that we drive on the right side of the road in this country. ( cueman
    If that was the case the wear would be on the right side edge, not the left.

Remember, when the bike turns to the right, just like a four wheel vehicle it leans out to the left. Hence, the wear on the left edge (which I can't see in the picture, anyway).
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

I seldom have anything in the side case. I use it for helmet storage when I park it.

Wouldn't more weight of the right side cause more wear on the right side of the tire? I'm not an engineer so I'm probably missing the logic. lol
    The increased or uneven wear wold be insignificant, even if you could suspend a passenger on one side of the rear of the bike, since the weight is transferred to the centre point between the two front wheels. The rear wheel "pivots" to the left or the right around this centre point.

In other words, if you had the bike loaded so unevenly that it affected wear on the back tyre the front suspension would also have to be compressed more on one side. This lean would be obvious, looking from either the front or the back.

One possible explanation is that you are accelerating more around right hand corners, which will lean the bike out to the left and wear the outside left edge.

Another possibility is that there is something rubbing on the tyre on the left side. A close-up of the tyre and its tread would be good.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid