Spyder Garage

Post Where are the specs for Trailer Tongue Weight and Pulling Weight

I have a 2014 RT Limited and want to know the specs on the Max Tongue and Pulling Weight for trailers.
    I saw and add for the Littleguy Mypod that says they can be towed by Three Wheeler's. Anybody checked into this?
    Seems a bit much at 635Pounds curb weight and 110lbs tongue weight for a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I think the rt is rated for 400 lb max weight and 40 lb tongue weight. If not correct I’m sure someone will chime in.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I think the rt is rated for 400 lb max weight and 40 lb tongue weight. If not correct I’m sure someone will chime in.
    ....That's what the specs are ….. remember Max trl. weight is the ENTIRE weight of trailer plus what's in / on it ….. Mike ……….PS the trl. is approx. 240 lbs , so load is limited to about 160 lbs

Spyder Garage

I pull an RT622 trailer. The unloaded tongue weight of the trailer is 28#s. The maximum tongue weight is 40 and max towing weight is 400#s for the Spyder. The RT622 is spec'd at 250#s empty so carrying capacity is another 150#s (250+150). The trailer and Spyder are happiest when the tongue weight is between 28 and 38#s. I have a fish weight scale that I use to measure tongue weight when loading for a longer trip. The numbers you are quoting are way beyond what I would be comfortable with. BTW, the newer Freedom trailer weighs less than the RT622 so they actually have a higher load carrying capacity to get the maximum towing of 400#s I have read where others have successfully towed exceeding the rated maximums but do so is at your peril. And, If you have an accident it gives your insurance good and valid reason to deny responsibility..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I pull an RT622 trailer. The unloaded tongue weight of the trailer is 28#s. The maximum tongue weight is 40 and max towing weight is 400#s for the Spyder. The RT622 is spec'd at 250#s empty so carrying capacity is another 150#s (250+150). The trailer and Spyder are happiest when the tongue weight is between 28 and 38#s. I have a fish weight scale that I use to measure tongue weight when loading for a longer trip. The numbers you are quoting are way beyond what I would be comfortable with. BTW, the newer Freedom trailer weighs less than the RT622 so they actually have a higher load carrying capacity to get the maximum towing of 400#s I have read where others have successfully towed exceeding the rated maximums but do so is at your peril. And, If you have an accident it gives your insurance good and valid reason to deny responsibility..... Jim
    ….. For an RT - pulling the weight isn't the issue ….. It's STOPPING the weight …. Years back I made my own Hitch ( for trl. towing ) and tested it by pulling my Toyt. CAR …. My RT did strain a bit, but once moving I could pull that load. ….. If I had to pull say 600 lbs. I would equip that trailer with it's own BRAKES …… to work in conjunction with the RT's system. BRP will stay totally away from anything exceeding 400 lbs., this is a litigious society, and if BRP said the trailer NEEDS brakes to pull anything over 400 lbs., someone would claim ( after an accident ) " they didn't know about that " and SUE ….. jmho …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    That's right. May be able to pull more weight but stopping safely is the main consideration
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As to your question of where to find towing specs, they are in the owner's manual
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PBJDave View Post
    I have a 2014 RT Limited and want to know the specs on the Max Tongue and Pulling Weight for trailers.
    I saw and add for the Littleguy Mypod that says they can be towed by Three Wheeler's. Anybody checked into this?
    Seems a bit much at 635Pounds curb weight and 110lbs tongue weight for a Spyder.
    An 1800 GW 3 wheeler!

There are more variables than just towing weight. With stopping being the main concern, how loaded is your RT going to be? If you are going to be one up and transferring some of the load from the RT to the trailer, I believe that you can safely exceed towing limits, especially if you have brakes on the trailer. Exceeding limits on the RT is more of a concern for me than exceeding them with the trailer - 2 up fat people and full trunk make for a high center of gravity. Heavy weight trailer with low center of gravity. Handling while emergency braking comes to mind. Even worse idea to exceed with both.

Regard,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Another thought about trailering..... When I pulled my properly loaded RT622 I could feel the trailer "pushing" me through the corners. This was felt especially going down hill through the twisties at posted speeds..... usually 50-65 MPH. As I hoped would happen, after switching to a rear CT and trashing the OEM Kenda, I no longer have that pushing feeling. The rear Kenda was just not up to the task of holding good road control under increased stress..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi