Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Low left side panel

I've had my 2013 RT Limited for just under a month and the left side panel with the chrome CAN AM came off my bike. Don't know how or when but its highly unlikely that it flew off but it could be the case. Anyone else have this issue?

then.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's possible that the last time it was removed: they didn't get it back into place properly.
    There are permanently mounted "push-pins", that must be pushed through rubber grommets.
    Once in a while: the grommets become unseated, and then things started going wrong!
    There is also a flange on that panel, that is supposed to catch on the frame. Was any part of that panel seeming to stick out a bit more than the other body panels?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Dzus fittings are the answer

Had it happen on both sides of my 13 RTL. First time I completely lost the left panel. Could have been me not securing the panel when I checked the oil. The second time after putting stainless steel lanyards on the right panel came off. An Aussie linked me to these https://www.amazon.com/Fasteners-Qui...=dzus+fastener. Installed one on each panel and never had another problem.
    Pat
    SIGPIC]2

2016 F3T Lamonster RIP boards, fog lights, Longhorn mirror lights, power plate. SpyderPops skid plate. Painted the silver air intake and grill.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FontFont View Post
    I've had my 2013 RT Limited for just under a month and the left side panel with the chrome CAN AM came off my bike. Don't know how or when but its highly unlikely that it flew off but it could be the case. Anyone else have this issue?

then.jpg
    I have a problem with my left side also. The clip that is suppose to hook onto the other body panel will not stay secured. The pins that go into the rubber grommets do stay in their location. I have removed the panel and put it on like the handbook recommends and still the plastic clip won't stay put.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FontFont are the rubber grommets still in place? Usually what happens is the grommets get pushed through if you don't reinstall the panel properly so if they are missing that is most likely what happened.

You can attach a tether or use velcro as an added measure of security to keep the panel from coming off again.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I cut the little placcy hook bit off & fitted the D-Zus fasteners that Pat Clark mentioned. Problem solvered!

image.jpg

The panel might look a little misaligned in the pic, but that is only the angle the pic was taken at, it's perfectly straight when you look at it in person!

Spyder Garage

Another tip Ann has posted elsewhere: if you spray Windex on the grommets (assuming they're correctly in their respective holes) before reinserting the panels they'll slide in easily and the pins won't tend to push them through their mounting holes. Also you can zip tie the grommets to their holes.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Lost panels

Install Baker air wings and you won't have that problem again. Plus the benefit of the air wings.