Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riding boots

Spyder Garage

I wear R.M.Williams boots. He (personally) made my first pair back when I was about 10 years old, my Station-Boss Uncle brought me down from the Bush to the 'Big Smoke' to be measured & then did the same again when it was time to fit and collect my boots,, and I've worn boots made by RM or his Company ever since. The Old Man's passed on now, but the Company is back in Australian hands and is still making wonderfull good quality boots. They might be a little expensive at first glance, but when you get them fitting right, if you send them back to be re-soled by one of their craftsman if they ever need it, then they'll probably last you 20 years or more, which means they work out a helluva lot cheaper than most over time and they are a much better made & better fitting boot than most while they do that too!

www.rmwilliams.com.au
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try the sketchers steel toed, very comfortable

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Try the sketchers steel toed, very comfortable
    Having seen the mess of a foot that steel toed boots can make of your toes & feet in a motor vehicle accident, I can now understand very clearly why they aren't recommended 'safety gear' for people travelling on motorcycles! Thick leather, Yep! Even Hi-density Fibre &/or kevlar or fibreglass, yeah, just as long as it isn't so hard or rigid that it provides a 'cutting edge' on the foot end of the toe-cap! Which means steel-capped or steel-toed boots, NO WAY!! Not for me. EVER! Uh uh!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Having seen the mess of a foot that steel toed boots can make of your toes & feet in a motor vehicle accident, I can now understand very clearly why they aren't recommended 'safety gear' for people travelling on motorcycles! Thick leather, Yep! Even Hi-density Fibre &/or kevlar or fibreglass, yeah, just as long as it isn't so hard or rigid that it provides a 'cutting edge' on the foot end of the toe-cap! Which means steel-capped or steel-toed boots, NO WAY!! Not for me. EVER! Uh uh!
    They don't tend to date well when a foot gets run over by a forklift either...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ibified View Post
    They don't tend to date well when a foot gets run over by a forklift either...
    That's very true, but you'd hope that not too many people who are travelling on Spyders or any other motorcycle would have one or more of their feet run over by a Forklift! Not saying it's never gonna happen, cos I've underestimated some members of the riding community before (or maybe that should be over-estimated?! ) - just pointing out that it's significantly more likely that someone wearing steel-capped boots while they're riding might discover for themselves why wearing them while riding wasn't such a great idea!

Wearing Steel capped boots while riding a motorcycle is NOT a smart move; the mess & permanent damage that can result from even a low speed accident drives home that it is very nearly just as nasty a mix as wearing flip-flops while riding on a motorcycle!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Humm steel toe has always been recommened to me and all my riding buddies wear them. What source are you getting this from??? Are you saying you have more of a chance to get your toes cut off by the steel toe vs. getting them crushed? where are you pulling your stats from? or is this just personal preference???

Spyder Garage

From me, it's that I'm an industrial safety engineer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    I've been using CruiserWorks for years. USA-made, and mine are waterPROOF. Haven't tried the current version, but if they are using the same lasts, should be good to go
    +1 on Cruiserworks. Had them for about 15 years, re-soled them twice and they are still in good shape and waterproof.
    2018 Spyder F3 Limited
    Pearl white/dark
    2018 F3 Limited , White pearl

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone:
    Thanks for all your input and recommendations on boots. I went to CycleGear and tried on Alpinestars SMX-1 R vented boots and was not impressed with them for the price. I tried Bates Sport Tactical and really liked them. I will report back once I have some riding time with them.
    Regards,
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Just bought a pair of these:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...1583786c6f994b

Very satisfied with them so far. quite a bit of armor in them for shin, ankle, heel, and toe protection, and they're comfortable to walk in as they're relatively flexible compared to some other touring/sport boots. Good luck with whatever you get!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

no they are not Ihave Bates for the fire service and they zip fyi
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

High-top with good ankle support. I figure if I roll this bad boy I'm more worried about the rest of me being crushed.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go to your local Cycle Gear store and try on the boots, they have they have a bunch to pick from
    you will get the best prices there on motorcycle boots. or you can just go to a shoe store and
    get any kind of boots you like. I personally use motorcycle boots made for riding.

Spyder Garage

5.11 Tactical ATAC 2.0 8" boots. Repels water, side zip and laces and a knife pocket on the side. Been wearing 5.11 Tactical for years. Best tactical boot I've ever worn.

Spyder Garage

I've had these good old motorcycle boots for ever and the last 20 years. The back zipper makes them easy to get on and off. Keeps your feet warm and dry.

Spyder Garage

I've had a pair of Joe Rocket "Meteor" boots for several years (12?). I like them a ton, but current version is different. I think the current "Mercury" is more like what I've got. They were slightly stiff at first but they broke in and were comfortable to walk in fairly quickly. I will look at Joe Rocket again when these finally give up.
    I got them at the local Cycle Gear, they ordered in a pair for me to fit-check - and I took them home.

Spyder Garage

I wear my steel toe Doc Marten's most of the time, but just puttering around the neighborhood I sometimes wear Rocky combat boots. I also have a pair of western style motorcycle boots, but I rarely wear them here in FL because of the insulated uppers. Too hot for jeans, much less insulated footwear. FYI, I only wear Merino wool boot socks. Good socks make a HUGE difference. Takeaways:

1. Almost any quality hiking, hunting, combat boot is fine. Most riders here wear sneakers, which isn't smart. Some even wear flip-flops, which is stupid.
    2. When you wear serious boots for serious work for decades, at some point you realize that spending up to $25 for a good pair of socks and upgrading the insoles is "the secret" to all day comfort.