Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reliability

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Hmm one picture is worth a thousand words

I can totally understand that. Over the past 6 years I have owned 3 Yamaha's and 2 Spyders (2009 RS and 2012 RT). I currently own and ride a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09. The RS never gave me any problems. The RT gave me the orange screen twice. Both times it restarted and I was able to continue on home. Although it never left me stranded I never trusted it again after that first orange screen. More than anything that caused me to trade it. It may have been totally reliable and had I kept it I may have ridden thousands of trouble free miles. However when you do not trust your machine there is always that doubt in the back of your mind and I could not enjoy a ride like that. I have never ever doubted my Yamaha's including the FJ-09. When considering a long ride or while riding I never give a breakdown (other than the possibility of a flat) the time of day. I gave up having the wife riding behind me as she won't go 2 up on 2 wheels, but she didn't ride with me that much anyway and she is okay with me going alone on the Yamaha. Had BRP introduced a lighter, faster, better handling RS with a detuned nanny for 2015 instead of that John Deere lawn mower otherwise known as the F3 I might, repeat might, have considered it instead of the Yamaha, but now that I have the FJ-09 I don't see myself riding anything else for a very long time. It is one sweet machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    ...I gave up having the wife riding behind me as she won't go 2 up on 2 wheels, but she didn't ride with me that much anyway and she is okay with me going alone on the Yamaha. Had BRP introduced a lighter, faster, better handling RS with a detuned nanny for 2015 instead of that John Deere lawn mower otherwise known as the F3 I might, repeat might, have considered it instead of the Yamaha, but now that I have the FJ-09 I don't see myself riding anything else for a very long time. It is one sweet machine.
    Apparently, you're happy with yourself and your selection. I'm sure this forum, http://fj-09.org/, will appreciate your humor and support.

See you on the road - I'll be riding a white "John Deere".

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

When ever I see some chart or stats it reminds me to think of something that my old man , a Montana Cowboy born in 1912 taught me .
    "figures don't lie son but liars can figure " just saying one needs to look at the whole picture .
    Let's play nice kids , we all share the same sandbox.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

This thread cracks me up!

This is why I stay out of threads like this when they go this way. Learned the hard way when I started out here.

OK back to the regularly scheduled program

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    When ever I see some chart or stats it reminds me to think of something that my old man , a Montana Cowboy born in 1912 taught me .
    "figures don't lie son but liars can figure " just saying one needs to look at the whole picture .
    Let's play nice kids , we all share the same sandbox.
    Yup and "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink"
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Apparently, you're happy with yourself and your selection. I'm sure this forum, http://fj-09.org/, will appreciate your humor and support.

See you on the road - I'll be riding a white "John Deere".

Wayne
    Your back handed attempt at humor was kinda lame but thanks for the link to the FJ-09 forum. However I have been a member of that forum since December when I purchased the FJ-09. Know what else? A person can actually be a member of more than one forum at a time. I know you wish I would leave this one but I'm not, at least not yet. There are several other regulars here who no longer ride Spyders but continue to socialize. That is what I am doing as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I for one; am glad that you've stuck around...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I for one; am glad that you've stuck around...
    Thank you Bob.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After all; we've got to keep SOMEBODY around that we can pick on!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Please read

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Hmm one picture is worth a thousand words

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    Consumer Reports has always been is a good at getting the best data on a product. It looks like fair report. I'm one of the 42% and I think it's a good number.
    Mike
    Update!!! April 11/ 2015 my rear shock blew out with only 17,500 mile on my 2011 RS-S SE5 and the Spyder bounce around on the highway. I have already replace my front shocks at 10,000 miles. I pulled my maintenance records and review them. It looks like my Spyder needs to be repaired about every 3,000 miles due to a substandard parts. So! That 42% is low number. Oh yes shocks like other parts I had to replace are not covered under warranty. So! You think BRP cares. That IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

The last post was over four years ago. Is the situation better now? I want to buy one.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XB12X View Post
    The last post was over four years ago. Is the situation better now? I want to buy one.
    Let us hope that things are better now.I just purchased a 2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

2020RT with 10,000 since September 2020. One trip back to the dealer for failed fuel sending unit -- not a game stopper at all. Like any machine (especially with computers involved), there are a few wrinkles and annoyances.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I guess I should count myself lucky then. I have owned 8 BMWs and logged over 420K miles on them since 1977. 375K+ of those miles have been since April of 2000 when I returned from a 20 year hiatus from riding. I have also logged just little over 9K on my wife's Spyder RT since purchase in Oct. 2017 & have not had to take any of them to a shop for repairs. One of the BMWs I chose to take to the shop because it was still under warranty, but it was just for routine maintenance as have been all of the repairs I have made on all of the bikes since beginning riding in 1968 with the exception of replacing a final drive bearing on the '00 R1200C at ~113K miles. But hey, no machine has parts that last forever and I did that work myself in about 3 hours.

I think charts like this can be very misleading because they do not account for:
    accumulated mileage
    average age of riders
    financial ability to afford shop fees per typical brand owners
    mechanical knowledge of typical owners
    normal riding style associated with each brand

and probably a lot of other factors. In short, the chart is useless information due to lack of mention or consideration of confounding variables.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

New bikes, new problems, but we all hope to not have any!!!! RIGHT!! Ride more worry less!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Old post or not, the information of the chart is still useless and the responses to it are still valid.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Old post or not, the information of the chart is still useless and the responses to it are still valid.
    Sorry
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-31-2021 at 01:39 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

no need to be sorry, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Spyder Garage

The OP has not been on the site since 2017. This thread was considered argumentative then, and I consider it heading south again.

Going to solve the issue by closing the thread.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red