Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry BRP Connect Music

Let me start out by saying I'm not that savvy with phone apps, but I can usually figure things out or at least find someone younger whom was born with a smartphone in their hand to help me out. Not the case this time. Maybe one of you forum members can help, as I have heard nothing back from BRP customer care. My Spyder is a 2019 F3 Limited, and the digital dash has the latest software update. BRP Connect user guide states that only Apple Music will work with their system, so I subscribed to Apple Music, downloaded the app to my Samsung Android phone and downloaded a bunch of songs to my library. The downloaded songs go to my SD card. Next, I turn on the Spyder, and then connect the phone, with both Apple Music, and BRP connect open and running. The phone connects to the Spyder and I can launch BRP Connect on the dash. I select Music, and the dash tells me that there is no music available in any of the categories, songs, albums, & playlists. I am able to play the songs in the Apple Music library if I back out of the BRP connect app and select bluetooth music from the menu. So what do I need to do to make Music in BRP Connect work correctly with my Apple Music and list all of the songs in my library? What location on the phone does BRP Connect need to access to? Thanks.
    2019 F3 Limited , Big Bike Parts full size pedal Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain. I could not figure it out either and gave up on BRP connect. Bluetooth (Phone -> Helmet) works and allows access to much more. Will monitor thread for potential answer.
    2019 F3L , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

So... I was told this magical solution that seems to work for me.

When you get that message about no songs (while you're riding)... pull to the side of the road and stop.
    The music will magically be available again.

Works for me, hope it works for you... let me know.
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

I don't think that will work. But I am not sure. You say that the manual says you must use Apple music app. That may be true for an iphone but not an android phone. What page of the manual did you find that on? I did a word search and could not find it.

When a Android phone is plugged in to the dash. BRP Connect will use android Play Music app. It should have come preloaded on your phone. You may be able to set up the Play Music app to find and play the songs that Apple music has stored on your phone.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I don't use BRP connect. I just load music on my phone from Windows Media player. Pair phone and helmet to bike. Go to Bluetooth on your settings and it will load and play. I use Samsung music app on my phone.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I gave up on BRP. I just Bluetooth my phone (Android) with the bike and use Google Play Music. I have music on the SD card. I don't even connect to BRP Connect. I can see the title on the dash, adjust volume and move to next song using the joy stick on the left control. I can also switch the music .from speakers to my Bluetooth Sena headset

Forget BRP Connect. It's just a waste of technology.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I don't think that will work. But I am not sure. You say that the manual says you must use Apple music app. That may be true for an iphone but not an android phone. What page of the manual did you find that on? I did a word search and could not find it.

When a Android phone is plugged in to the dash. BRP Connect will use android Play Music app. It should have come preloaded on your phone. You may be able to set up the Play Music app to find and play the songs that Apple music has stored on your phone.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/exper...p-connect.html

Can I access the various music streaming services via the "Music" app within BRP Connect?
    Apple Music is the only music streaming service that can be accessed via the generic "Music" app. Please ensure you are subscribed to Apple Music and that you have access to cellular data before attempting to access the service:

Open Apple Music on your phone, search and select a song, album, artist, etc.
    Add the song, album, artist, etc. to your Apple Media library (“+” Button).
    Make sure that Cloud Music is activated within the BRP Connect app (BRP Connect App -> Settings -> Apps -> Cloud Music -> ON).
    All selected songs, albums, artists, etc. from Apple Music will be displayed and selectable via the generic Music app.

Only thing I can't do is activate Cloud Music, it is not an option in the Android BRP Connect app??

BRP customer support did get back to me today, but it was to ask me to contact the dealer, and provide we with a link to some new BRP Connect tutorials which did not address my particular problem.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/exper...echnology.html

I will give Google Play Music a try when I get home. I hope it is something as simple as that. Thanks.
    Last edited by rdkarl; 07-12-2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason: adding info

Spyder Garage

Make sure you using a data cable not all are data. I kept thing something was wrong and it was a cable would just charge my phone. The right cable made everything good.

Spyder Garage

Nope, no such luck with Google Play either. If I have just the phone, not connected to the Spyder and open BRP connect, hit the Music icon, it does open up the Google Play Music Library. With both BRP Connect, and Google Play Music open and running on the phone and connected by cable to the bike, hit the Music icon on the dash using the toggle switch, it reports no music available. If I back out of BRP connect and go to the bluetooth music, the song is playing. WTF

I don't believe it is a cable problem because Genius maps, and Accuweather work with no problem with the same cable.

Spyder Garage

I had that happen once and I went on my phone and hit play on a random song, and then it recognized the others. Don't know if that will help you but it worked (once) for me.

Spyder Garage

I did not know you could do music streaming at all with the Apple Music app and the Connect app. Never done it. If that is what you really want to do maybe someone with more experience could help you out. If you just want to use your phone as a music player. I do that all the time. I just don't use the Connect music app. I have used it in the past and it works. Just use the google music player.

PS Just so you understand better. You do not need to plug in the usb cable or have the BRP Connect app on your phone, for music or handsfree phone functions to work. The phone just needs to be BT connected to the dash. Usb cable and BRP Connect is only needed for apps that display on your dash screen.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those that are just connecting with Bluetooth are not using the BRP Connect Data cable or they're connecting the phone to the AUX cable. Whatever phone brand you are using, you open BRP Connect and go to the Music app. Apple Music is available for Androids. iPhones use Apple Music as the generic music app and can play the music you've bought or it has a radio or you can play the subscribed Apple music. For Android phones you need to download the Apple Music app and load any music you have into it. Create playlists and there is also the radio. You can also stream music via the monthly Apple Music subscription. https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use...ic-on-android/

Youtube has a wide variety of tutorials on just about anything.

https://youtu.be/EQN2rfCq2Cs
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did some checking and you might need to check some settings in the BRP Connect app. Make sure the “App settings” are set to this.

10C2CDC6-42F7-4568-A94A-AE4238CB75FD.jpg. 3929D641-2F80-4CDD-89D4-2B13333DF5F1.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Did some checking and you might need to check some settings in the BRP Connect app. Make sure the “App settings” are set to this.

10C2CDC6-42F7-4568-A94A-AE4238CB75FD.jpg. 3929D641-2F80-4CDD-89D4-2B13333DF5F1.jpg
    My settings are the same for the first screen, I don't have Music with a switch on my 2nd screen like you do, just direct app launch set to no. What phone and version of BRP connect are you running? I have a Samsung android phone running BRP connect version 2.10.1.38 Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My iPhone, being different to the Samsung, might have a different version but what I have is 2.10.1.50. Apple Music is standard with it as well. I'm guessing that if you have Apple Music then this should show up?

Also I know of others that had problems with apps not working on the bike and found the permissions were not set.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    My iPhone, being different to the Samsung, might have a different version but what I have is 2.10.1.50. Apple Music is standard with it as well. I'm guessing that if you have Apple Music then this should show up?

Also I know of others that had problems with apps not working on the bike and found the permissions were not set.

I have had all of the permissions set from the beginning. I'm starting to think that BRP connect only supports Apple phones in regards to the Music feature. Looks like i'll have to be happy with running music through the bluetooth setting in BRP connect. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rdkarl View Post
    My settings are the same for the first screen, I don't have Music with a switch on my 2nd screen like you do, just direct app launch set to no. What phone and version of BRP connect are you running? I have a Samsung android phone running BRP connect version 2.10.1.38 Thanks.
    Wouldn't you want that set to, yes!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have had all of the permissions set from the beginning. I'm starting to think that BRP connect only supports Apple phones in regards to the Music feature. Looks like i'll have to be happy with running music through the bluetooth setting in BRP connect. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    It's funny I have seen many iphone users concluding that BRP Connect only supports android. Also other android users like you concluding that BRP Connect only supports iphone.

My previous phone was a BB Dtech 60 (android). It worked just fine. My current phone is a Samsung A8. It works well too. I don't know why yours does not work. But I am certain it is not because it's not an iphone.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It's funny I have seen many iphone users concluding that BRP Connect only supports android. Also other android users like you concluding that BRP Connect only supports iphone.

My previous phone was a BB Dtech 60 (android). It worked just fine. My current phone is a Samsung A8. It works well too. I don't know why yours does not work. But I am certain it is not because it's not an iphone.

Send me your phone, I'll try it on my Spyder

My android phone does work with BRP connect, Genius maps, Accuweather, I can listen to music using the bluetooth function, it will not however work with the BRP connect Music function.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Wouldn't you want that set to, yes!
    The "Direct app launch" is set if you want a particular app to open up immediately as you launch BRP Connect. So When I hit the button on the back of the left switch cluster it opens BRP Connect and then the Music app opens automatically so I can get my music going. Then I can switch to GPS or Rever.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Let me start out by saying I'm not that savvy with phone apps, but I can usually figure things out or at least find someone younger whom was born with a smartphone in their hand to help me out. Not the case this time. Maybe one of you forum members can help, as I have heard nothing back from BRP customer care. My Spyder is a 2019 F3 Limited, and the digital dash has the latest software update. BRP Connect user guide states that only Apple Music will work with their system, so I subscribed to Apple Music, downloaded the app to my Samsung Android phone and downloaded a bunch of songs to my library. The downloaded songs go to my SD card. Next, I turn on the Spyder, and then connect the phone, with both Apple Music, and BRP connect open and running. The phone connects to the Spyder and I can launch BRP Connect on the dash. I select Music, and the dash tells me that there is no music available in any of the categories, songs, albums, & playlists. I am able to play the songs in the Apple Music library if I back out of the BRP connect app and select bluetooth music from the menu. So what do I need to do to make Music in BRP Connect work correctly with my Apple Music and list all of the songs in my library? What location on the phone does BRP Connect need to access to? Thanks.
    My RTL plays music from my Samsung S7 phone with no problem through BRP Connect and without using the Apple Music app. However, I am doing something differently than you are.

I also have an SD card in my phone, but I set up a folder called "Music" on it and copied all my music to that folder, using sub-folders for each artist and sub-sub folders for each artist's various albums.

When I connect my phone to the USB cable and follow the same procedure you described and click on "Music", a complete listing of all the artists on the SD card appears. I can then scroll through the artist listing, choose the album I want, then choose the first song in the album, and playback through the speakers begins. It seems to work pretty seamlessly. I can then press the BRP Connect lever again and get the full original display, but on the right side where the radio frequency used to be displayed the name of the song playing from the phone's SD card is displayed.

I don't know if my creating a folder named "Music" on the SD card is what is allowing this to work for me, but you might give it a try and see if you can get it working that way.

2018 RT Ltd.
    2018 RT Ltd , Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I too have given up on BRP Connect on our 2018 RT LTD. I connect the passenger phone via Bluetooth and use Amazon Music in offline mode. If I am solo, I use my phone, but keep it in my pocket. It is difficult to just pull over to troubleshoot an issue when you are riding in a group, and this seems to work well for us.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Winni-Laker View Post
    My RTL plays music from my Samsung S7 phone with no problem through BRP Connect and without using the Apple Music app. However, I am doing something differently than you are.

I also have an SD card in my phone, but I set up a folder called "Music" on it and copied all my music to that folder, using sub-folders for each artist and sub-sub folders for each artist's various albums.

When I connect my phone to the USB cable and follow the same procedure you described and click on "Music", a complete listing of all the artists on the SD card appears. I can then scroll through the artist listing, choose the album I want, then choose the first song in the album, and playback through the speakers begins. It seems to work pretty seamlessly. I can then press the BRP Connect lever again and get the full original display, but on the right side where the radio frequency used to be displayed the name of the song playing from the phone's SD card is displayed.

I don't know if my creating a folder named "Music" on the SD card is what is allowing this to work for me, but you might give it a try and see if you can get it working that way.
    I'm also using the Galaxy S7 - BRP connect is working well with it, and I'm not even on the latest 2018 RTL dash firmware yet...

Spyder Garage

I just want my darn iPod to play the music and have the joystick control it like it used to do on the pre-BRP Connect bikes...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Winni-Laker View Post

When you are using BRP connect Music set up like this, does the joystick allow you to increase/decrease volume?