Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I think the Mark Twain quote applies to any future response....
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Have they failed? Are they causing issues? Why is this "engineers cutting corners to save money"?
    YES! And YES!!

Quite a few years ago now, the plastic sway bar ends on my then still largely factory spec 2013 RT Ltd began to flex badly as the Child Bride & I were riding the early stages along what is probably one of the most iconic Motorcycle Riding & Car Driving Roads in Australia, the 150 mile long Great Ocean Road (look it up! It makes the Tail of the Dragon pale into insignificance! ) making it very uncomfortable to ride and impossible to enjoy any of the corners and scenery we had chosen to that particular road to experience. I HAD no safe choice but to slow significantly, tentatively making our way as we lurched thru every corner, and trying to avoid creating too much of a rolling road-block for all the other motorists trying to enjoy the road and the scenery as we cautiously wound our way along what should have been one of the high points and most enjoyable couple of days of riding on our trip.

Instead, it became somewhat of a nightmare due to those cheap and flimsy excuses for sway bar end links, and we were less than 1/2 of the way thru when one of the end links failed completely, snapping completely as we were half way thru one of the tightest and most difficult to negotiate curves on the whole route, with increasingly impatient traffic banking up behind us, a sheer drop into the then raging Southern Ocean on one side and a solid granite cliff face on the other side of the unceasing flow of traffic going the other way! There were a few real pucker moments leading up to it, but that moment of suddenly lurching sideways really proved to both of us, AND the occupants of all the vehicles in sight, that adrenalin truly is brown! The Nanny does work fantastically tho!

Those bloody cheap pieces of **** Sway bar end links could very well have killed us, AND taken out a bunch of other road users as well!! And I've since discovered that almost EVERY Spyder I've inspected that EVER gets ridden with any exuberance and still has the OEM Sway Bar End Links fitted shows evidence in the form of stress marks & color changes/other indications that their end links are flexing too, quite a few of them already near to breaking, some already broken - in fact, very few Spyders that've done more than just a few nominal miles don't have some indications that their end links haven't at least started this flexing that ultimately will end in failure! And until their attention is drawn to this, many riders are completely oblivious to anything more than their mild worries about the Spyder's mild wandering & instability as they ride!

So the answers to the first two questions you posed above are, in my mind at least, quite a resounding YES and YES!! As for the third question, instead of more rant from me, why don't you tell us all how on this Earth you believe it's NOT?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-30-2023 at 06:28 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, that's interesting. I stand corrected. The Can-Am engineers are incompetent nincompoops. What will they think of next?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Well, that's interesting. I stand corrected. The Can-Am engineers are incompetent nincompoops. What will they think of next?
    As the title of the thread suggests, Pete, they've got some great ideas, just for some reason (possibly bean counters?? ) those ideas are often poorly executed!

And the thing that really gets to me is that BRP/Can-Am persist in using US, their customers, the people whose money and ongoing business keeps their company alive, as their crash test dummies, but they don't/won't in any way that we are doing this, frequently ignoring FOR DECADES our complaints about sub-par performance... and because they have a monopoly on these things, THEY KEEP ON DOING IT, year after year, time and time again, and we have little choice but to fix this stuff on our dime, or put up with what really are pretty basic shortfalls!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-31-2023 at 05:52 AM. Reason: who's :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    As the title of the thread suggests, Pete, they've got some great ideas, just for some reason (possibly bean counters?? ) those ideas are often poorly executed!

And the thing that really gets to me is that BRP/Can-Am persist in using US, their customers, the people who's money and ongoing business keeps their company alive, as their crash test dummies, but they don't/won't in any way that we are doing this, frequently ignoring FOR DECADES our complaints about sub-par performance... and because they have a monopoly on these things, THEY KEEP ON DOING IT, year after year, time and time again, and we have little choice but to fix this stuff on our dime, or put up with what really are pretty basic shortfalls!
    I just think that it's the people in the C-suite that make those decisions, not the designers, engineers, accountants and production managers who also cringe at being part of making something that could be so much better. I really hate to see good, hard-working wage slaves get blamed for executive decisions.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yes, I forgot about those plastic BRP heim links. Shortly after I got my 14 RT I was at a rally and met a gentleman who was just recovering from injuries sustained in a crash on his spyder caused by broken OEM plastic heim links. He showed a photo of his crash and mangled spyder and then showed me the new one he was riding, compliments of BRP after they lost a civil law suite.

Spyder Garage

If Honda (Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki) built one, they would come ....

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Must be something going on with OEM sway bars, Baha Ron keeps on selling the upgrade, making riders happy.

Spyder Garage

agree

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    If Honda (Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki) built one, they would come ....
    Apple car play.?

Tire shredding performance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Oh yes, I forgot about those plastic BRP heim links. Shortly after I got my 14 RT I was at a rally and met a gentleman who was just recovering from injuries sustained in a crash on his spyder caused by broken OEM plastic heim links. He showed a photo of his crash and mangled spyder and then showed me the new one he was riding, compliments of BRP after they lost a civil law suite.
    I find it interesting that the gentleman divulged that BRP replaced his Spyder. I wonder if BRP was forced by verdict to give him a new Spyder, in which case the order would be a matter of public record, or if they settled prior to a trial, which most certainly result in his having to sign a gag order which would not be a matter of public record. I had some dealings with BRP that resulted in my having to sign one, which required me to never divulge anything about it in any way, shape, form or fashion, including verbally disclosing the terms of the settlement, or they would sue the living daylights out of me.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    I find it interesting that the gentleman divulged that BRP replaced his Spyder. I wonder if BRP was forced by verdict to give him a new Spyder, in which case the order would be a matter of public record, or if they settled prior to a trial, which most certainly result in his having to sign a gag order which would not be a matter of public record. I had some dealings with BRP that resulted in my having to sign one, which required me to never divulge anything about it in any way, shape, form or fashion, including verbally disclosing the terms of the settlement, or they would sue the living daylights out of me.
    Only the "shadow" knows.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    It's been nearly ten years now since I spoke to the man. As I remember he showed no animosity toward BRP and seemed quite satisfied with his new spyder. As I recall at the time it was my impression that he had someone assist him through his recovery process but who and how that took place, I didn't ask. As he showed his photos to another person nearby I heard the phrase "lemon law" mentioned but paid no further attention. Two people in my county, one a close friend, took Harley Davidson to court over the lemon law and both were offered two options. One was to buy back the problem tri glide and the other was an attempt to repair the problem along with a substantial rebate. That process was recorded and no gag order was issued. But that was an HD case, not BRP.