Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Did it at last - brought home my next Last Bike!

Speaking of last.....or next last...............Look at what I brought home yesterday afternoon.

A '20 Can Am Spyder F3-L. Found it thru a friend up in Ruidoso, 50 miles up the mountain, 20,000 miles, mint condition. His wife has developed a form of Alzheimer and he does not want to be gone from His Home for more than a few hours. She was his steady riding companion. Headed on up to Ruidoso yesterday at noon on the bike to take a look..........

Road it around up there....Liked it......Called Mz Pam and She said if you can get it for no more than a certain amount, offered $2K less than He was asking. Told him that I would ride my Bike Home, pick up the cash and Mz Pam AKA SWMBO and I would be back in 2 1/2 hours.. Made it back with the Green and Viola my next Last Bike.

Had a great ride to Home, road great, even at 8,000 ft elevation ran like a fine watch cruised at between 60 and 80 on the Hiway, smooth as glass. Comfortable riding it as if been riding a Spyder for years.

Tucked snugly in the shop along with 3 Motorcycles and a Polaris Ranger, amazingly everything fit.....

Truth be known, I have been fascinated with those Can Am's for years. Pam and I did a test ride on one in 2010 as seen in in this pic.

Here is the clincher, when I was around 10 years old in about 1950, I somehow (my parents) bought a used beat up Cushman Truckster from the Cushman Dealer in Downtown Houston. Unbelievable as it sounds in this day and age as we lived way out west of Houston in Spring Branch, an unincorporated section of the greater Houston area. For those that know Houston, Hwy 90 was a 2 lane narrow country road heading West, now it is I 10. I road that thing all over the place out there, would go miles from Home. Don't remember telling Mom where I was going other than "Going to Bobbys" (Best friend to this day) House, almost 2 miles away. I actually wore out two motors in that thing. Top speed of 30 or so.

Picture of one, mine never looked that good as I painted it with a big paint brush. Here is an internet pic of one all painted up. Mine didn't have a lid on the Box or head lights. People would ride in the front Box. I'm thinking that is why I have some sort of comfortable feeling towards the Spyder. When I first road it home down the mountain on the 4 Lane Hiway it was as if I had been riding one forever. Actually, come to think about it, I started riding gas powered motorized motorized reversed trikes (two wheels in front, one in the back) before or at least at about the same time as Gas powered two wheelers. This has never occurred to me until now as when reading Spyderlovers.com, newbys seem to have a hard time but quickly become fully comfortable after several hundred miles.

Amazing as to how different raising Kids today is so different. I seem to remember in looking back that we the polar opposite of the modern Helicopter parent, after school, always only restriction was to be home by dark. Totally unheard of today. We never got in trouble as we seemed to grow up with a strong natural sense of right and wrong.

Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out this Pic, the stock Kenda front tires have just over 20,000 miles (original fronts), ride smooth as glass, up to 85MPH, kind of blows me away. Must be really aligned just right and well balanced.

Here is the rear, 2nd rear. The PO used the Spyder to do touring 90% of the time.

Went thru two lite drizzles on the way down the Mountain, Spyder is Spick and Span now..............
    Last edited by old Timer; 05-19-2023 at 09:49 AM.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    speaking of last.....or next last...............look at what i brought home yesterday afternoon.

a '20 can am spyder f3-l. Found it thru a friend up in ruidoso, 50 miles up the mountain, 20,000 miles, mint condition. His wife has developed a form of alzheimer and he does not want to be gone from his home for more than a few hours. She was his steady riding companion. Headed on up to ruidoso yesterday at noon on the bike to take a look..........

Road it around up there....liked it......called mz pam and she said if you can get it for no more than a certain amount, offered $2k less than he was asking. Told him that i would ride my bike home, pick up the cash and mz pam aka swmbo and i would be back in 2 1/2 hours.. Made it back with the green and viola my next last bike.

Had a great ride to home, road great, even at 8,000 ft elevation ran like a fine watch cruised at between 60 and 80 on the hiway, smooth as glass. Comfortable riding it as if been riding a spyder for years.

Tucked snugly in the shop along with 3 motorcycles and a polaris ranger, amazingly everything fit.....

truth be known, i have been fascinated with those can am's for years. Pam and i did a test ride on one in 2010 as seen in in this pic.

here is the clincher, when i was around 10 years old in about 1950, i somehow (my parents) bought a used beat up cushman truckster from the cushman dealer in downtown houston. Unbelievable as it sounds in this day and age as we lived way out west of houston in spring branch, an unincorporated section of the greater houston area. For those that know houston, hwy 90 was a 2 lane narrow country road heading west, now it is i 10. I road that thing all over the place out there, would go miles from home. Don't remember telling mom where i was going other than "going to bobbys" (best friend to this day) house, almost 2 miles away. I actually wore out two motors in that thing. Top speed of 30 or so.

Picture of one, mine never looked that good as i painted it with a big paint brush. Here is an internet pic of one all painted up. Mine didn't have a lid on the box or head lights. People would ride in the front box. I'm thinking that is why i have some sort of comfortable feeling towards the spyder. When i first road it home down the mountain on the 4 lane hiway it was as if i had been riding one forever. Actually, come to think about it, i started riding gas powered motorized motorized reversed trikes (two wheels in front, one in the back) before or at least at about the same time as gas powered two wheelers. This has never occurred to me until now as when reading spyderlovers.com, newbys seem to have a hard time but quickly become fully comfortable after several hundred miles.

Amazing as to how different raising kids today is so different. I seem to remember in looking back that we the polar opposite of the modern helicopter parent, after school, always only restriction was to be home by dark. Totally unheard of today. We never got in trouble as we seemed to grow up with a strong natural sense of right and wrong.

he who dies with the most toys wins...you look to be a finalist

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks......But it is a sickness

Just received my full coverage w/comp and collision $500.00 deductible, thru progressive. $307.00 per year. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

The Spyder is a F3 L, still trying to learn how to figure out the controls like the Radio, which I'll never use and all the indicators on the Dash Board??????????
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

And I made room in MY garage for another scooter (Piaggio BV400) to keep my Vespa company. Ride well Dean, you got a good one!
    Last edited by McRuss; 05-19-2023 at 11:41 AM.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    And I made room in MY garage for another scooter (Piaggio BV400) to keep my Vespa company. Ride well Dean, you got a good one!
    Thanks Russ, you know ....of course.........I just had to ride up to give your License Plate back. Had a great ride home. Road thru the Mescalaro-Apache Indian reservation over to Cloudcroft and then the 19 miles down to Home. A few pics......The problem with pics is one has to stop to take the pic. Much easier on the Spyder BTW. Elevation at this stop, just under 9,000 ft.
    Several observations, a lot more fun than I imagined, much more relaxed when coming to a stop, especially in town, good weather protection, a subtle enhanced feeling of security, smooth, quiet and great performance. Very happy with the Can Am Spyder F3-L.

Thanks Russ for such a great well taken care Spyder.

Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is Russ's 300 Vespa parked next to my shiney new to me Great Can Am Spyder next to the Billy the Kid Museum Earlier today.

Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

pics of the spyder OUT IN the WILD are spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spyder color and scenery great together
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

She's a beauty.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Nice....real Nice!
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Old Timer... thanks so much for posting the pics.. CONGRATULATIONS on your new ride!
    Used to live in Midland, TX and travelled to Ruidoso area a LOT over the years of 1977-2019... mostly on 2 wheels.
    Your pics bring back some good memories.. thanks again..
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Pooch, absolutely love the Texas Hill country, spent every summer of my life 1 mile west of Hunt from birth to College on the south fork of the Guadalupe at the place my Grand Parents built in 1923.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

old Timer, you're making me tear up with that first picture! I grew up in Alamogordo on Sunrise Ave...I can tell you're in the vicinity. That's a a beautiful new ride--congrats!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes chemist, our Home is about a Block west of Scenic Dr in the Granada Hills neighborhood. Cloudcroft is 19 miles from our place.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Outstanding!

Love that colour and what a find. Immaculate and low miles.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just returned from a quick ride to pick up his cover for it. Great ride, beautiful day. About 90 here with 10% humidity and a few clouds. 120 round trip.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Said the same thing when i just bought my 2020 Streetglide. Then my wife just bought a 2022 F3-S in Manta Green. I took it for a few spins. I sold one of my Harleys and bought a 2023 F3-S a week ago. think that may be my last bike. Now we're riding them together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice Spyder Story

....A Wonderful Story about a beautiful Spyder. Enjoy your new to You F3 and many 'Smile Miles'. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hope this is allowed here.

A little riding around on the beauty in the foot hills here.

Taken at about 7,000 ft elevation looking down onto White Sands at about 4,000 ft elevation, our House is at a 4,600 ft elevation. You can barely see White Sands about 50 miles away. It's that white band that is hard to see just below the dim view of the far Mountain Range some 70-80 miles in the distance. BTW, in front of the Spyder, is a Cattle Guard with weeds growing up thru.

Here is a close up of a White Sand Dune with my wife on top. What is gypsum sand made of?
    Gypsum - White Sands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
    Gypsum is a hydrous, soft sulfate mineral, specifically a calcium sulfate dihydrate, which means it has two molecules of water in its chemical composition. This is seen in its chemical formula is CaSO42H20. It's very lite.

Last edited by old Timer; 05-26-2023 at 09:18 AM.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I absolutely love that color. What a gorgeous bike!!!

Spyder Garage

Oldtimer: how do you like that windshield? It looks like it provides great coverage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Works very well. I have never ridden with a stock windshield on the F3 series. This morning, I played around a bit with studying the wind on my hands, The windshield protects the hands quiet a bit.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Stunning machine and surroundings.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    Stunning machine and surroundings.
    Thanks, we just moved from Ducktown 3 years ago, after spending 7 years there.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L