Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default US Highway 2 (Seattle to UP Michigan) in June, weather?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you're wondering what any specific section of highway may be like just look at it on Google Street View. I've found that to be a great way to preview a route.
    Was hoping for comments about average weather conditions along US 2 in June. While I have not yet developed any kind of timeline for the trip, I'm thinking that may be early June or so when we will be in northwest Washington and ready to start east from there.

Laying up for weather considerations will be no big deal, just may want to that further south.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post
    Was hoping for comments about average weather conditions along US 2 in June. While I have not yet developed any kind of timeline for the trip, I'm thinking that may be early June or so when we will be in northwest Washington and ready to start east from there.

Laying up for weather considerations will be no big deal, just may want to that further south.

Summertime riding. You should not run into anything worse than rain. UP a bit cooler because of the Lake Superior effect. The scenery is a bit nicer than the interstate system. Mostly two lane road, and can be more congested depending on where you are. You will not make good time, but its a vacation.

I am familiar with ND, MN, WI, MI
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-29-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Based on your planned itinerary I figured you'd be doing that part about the middle of June. Early June should be OK but expect it to be cool, and as AK says plan on rain. You could hit snow on the top of the Rockies that far north. Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier may just have been plowed open in early June.

I rode I-94 across from Montana to the UP the second week of June 2013. It was not a hot ride by any means, and felt cooler the closer I got to Michigan due to the increase in humidity!

If I were you I'd ride across the southern US in late May or early June, just before the summer heat and humidity settles in in Louisiana. That way you'll hit the northern part of the country at an ideal time for riding, weather wise.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Refining the trip

Thanks for last couple comments, will keep them in mind.

I continue to work on the details for this trip in Garmin's route planning software. Basecamp. We are staying with the basic criteria of no interstates (where avoidable), each travel day is to consist of 4 hours of saddle time (more of less) and planning a down day after three back-to-back travel days. Leaving central Ohio on May 7th with that criteria this Four Corners Tour will most likely require the entire summer of 2018 to complete.

The first leg, central Ohio to Key West, FL, will take 8 days and the second leg from Key West to San Ysidro, CA, will run about 17 days. I have laid that much detail into Basecamp and we are OK with the routes and timetable so far.

Now comes a challenge... from San Ysidro, CA, to Blaine, WA. First we thought we would be great to run the PCH as much as possible but since we did that back 2000 (although in a car), we thought to find a route up through the valley. Before I attack that challenge I thought I might return here to the forum and ask if our western members might chime in with suggestions. This south to north run may involve some coastal routes and some more eastward routes, any combination will be considered. Remember, keep the criteria in mind.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts on this leg for our Four Corners Tour.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now comes a challenge... from San Ysidro, CA, to Blaine, WA. First we thought we would be great to run the PCH as much as possible but since we did that back 2000 (although in a car), we thought to find a route up through the valley. Before I attack that challenge I thought I might return here to the forum and ask if our western members might chime in with suggestions. This south to north run may involve some coastal routes and some more eastward routes, any combination will be considered. Remember, keep the criteria in mind.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts on this leg for our Four Corners Tour.
    You basically have four choices:

1. PCH - best weather, chance of local fog, big slide area near Big Sur may not be completely repaired (check with Caltrans or CHP before leaving SoCal).

2. Highway 99 - last time I drove it, it was in terrible condition. Mostly concrete with many potholes and broken pavement. It can be very hot depending on season and winds and there is a ton of truck traffic.

3. Highway 101 - better than 99 by far. Nearer the ocean so cooler and scenery is better. Some interesting little joints along the way that might be worth stopping at depending upon your situation and preferences.

4. I5 - dull scenery, tends to have significant winds, also not in the best shape pavement wise. It does bypass the whole S.F. area though so would be your best bet if S.F. was not on your list. The other routes all take you through the city and across the Golden Gate Bridge (no toll going north IIRC). If you are planning on spending time in S.F. I5 would not be your ideal choice.

North of S.F.:

Any of the above would work. PCH will be slowest and coolest. 101 has good scenery once north of Santa Rosa (do not try to take this route during commute hours - very heavy traffic southbound in AM and again going north in PM). I5 is OK once past Sacramento.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    You basically have four choices:

1. PCH - best weather, chance of local fog, big slide area near Big Sur may not be completely repaired (check with Caltrans or CHP before leaving SoCal).

2. Highway 99 - last time I drove it, it was in terrible condition. Mostly concrete with many potholes and broken pavement. It can be very hot depending on season and winds and there is a ton of truck traffic.

3. Highway 101 - better than 99 by far. Nearer the ocean so cooler and scenery is better. Some interesting little joints along the way that might be worth stopping at depending upon your situation and preferences.

4. I5 - dull scenery, tends to have significant winds, also not in the best shape pavement wise. It does bypass the whole S.F. area though so would be your best bet if S.F. was not on your list. The other routes all take you through the city and across the Golden Gate Bridge (no toll going north IIRC). If you are planning on spending time in S.F. I5 would not be your ideal choice.

North of S.F.:

Any of the above would work. PCH will be slowest and coolest. 101 has good scenery once north of Santa Rosa (do not try to take this route during commute hours - very heavy traffic southbound in AM and again going north in PM). I5 is OK once past Sacramento.
    Nailed it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Consider going an inland route on the east side of the Cascades like US 395, State 31, US 97 & 197, and so forth. Looking at Google Maps once you get to Sacramento your North/South route choices are limited. The Pacific coastline isn't the only pretty place in the West! Your chances of rain are less and the temps likely higher on the east side of the Cascades.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

US 395 north of Palmdale, CA is largely desert although there are some interesting spots along the way such as Mono Lake. Much of that road is three lanes (one in each direction and a "suicide" lane in the middle - like the southern portion of PCH used to be. Not much traffic but not much to see either until way up north.

Spyder Garage

Default Great suggestions...

Now I will open this south-north west coast leg of our Four Corners Tour and start working with the suggestions from RinconRyder and IdahoMtSpyder.

If I come with other questions about routing this trip I know I can get some good input for our consideration from the members here.

Thanks again guys!

Spyder Garage

I have travelled north on 395 in CA many times & love it.

Mono Lake is a gem
    At Big Pine you can take 168 up to see the ancient Bristlecone pines. There is a fantastic view of the Sierras as you come back down again to US 395
    The Sierras are on your left from Lone Pine north to Lee Vining & are a great sight.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc