Spyder Garage

Default Newbie with Multiple Questions

Hi everyone. I'm a new Spyder owner! I picked up my 2016 RT Limited on Friday. It had 1325 miles on it, and I got it for $18k.

1) It has a Garmin Zumo 660 on it, and I noticed that it says i can connect my phone to it, for audio or phone via bluetooth. I was able to connect the phone portion, but i'm unable to connect the audio so i can listen to my SIRIUS app. Is there some trick? I ordered the 3.5mm cord for the trunk, so maybe this won't be necessary? I'm just unsure.

2) I washed it yesterday, and afterward, when I put it back in the garage and set the brake, the beeping wouldn't stop. But this morning it was fine. Could this be some sensor that got wet?

3) Speaking of washing, what does everyone use on the windshield? I always blow dry it with my leaf blower, but i still have spots.

4) I'm a large guy at 387lbs, is there a good setting recommendation for where I should put the adjustable shock? Should i have it entirely on the soft side, or totally on the hard side or somewhere in between. I didn't notice any difference no matter where I set it, but wondering where it should be for my fat a$$.

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions to ask in the coming days, so thanks in advance! Love this site!
    2020 RT Limited , Says Chalk White, but in person it is much more gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm a new Spyder owner! I picked up my 2016 RT Limited on Friday. It had 1325 miles on it, and I got it for $18k.

1) It has a Garmin Zumo 660 on it, and I noticed that it says i can connect my phone to it, for audio or phone via bluetooth. I was able to connect the phone portion, but i'm unable to connect the audio so i can listen to my SIRIUS app. Is there some trick? I ordered the 3.5mm cord for the trunk, so maybe this won't be necessary? I'm just unsure.

Lamonster sells a bluetooth device that may help. Also Motorcycle dave sells a SENA unit that will help.

2) I washed it yesterday, and afterward, when I put it back in the garage and set the brake, the beeping wouldn't stop. But this morning it was fine. Could this be some sensor that got wet?

If you shut off the engine with out setting the parking brake, it beeps. Stops after 10-15 seconds.

3) Speaking of washing, what does everyone use on the windshield? I always blow dry it with my leaf blower, but i still have spots.
    Use a good window cleaner with micro fiber cloth on stock W/S.

4) I'm a large guy at 387lbs, is there a good setting recommendation for where I should put the adjustable shock? Should i have it entirely on the soft side, or totally on the hard side or somewhere in between. I didn't notice any difference no matter where I set it, but wondering where it should be for my fat a$$.
    My guess is you want it pumped up near max.

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions to ask in the coming days, so thanks in advance! Love this site!
    Lots of good people here that can help. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your Limited!
    I'm pretty sure that the "parking brake beep" was just an anomaly that was the result of everything that was going on at the time... I wouldn't worry much about it.
    As regards your weight and the ACS system:
    The ACS is measuring ride height only. It will automatically do what is necessary to keep the ride height constant. You use the suspension buttons in front of you to "fine-tune" what the ride height setting is.
    If you look up at the rear shock on the left-hand side of the bike (About where the bodywork dips down near it); you'll see a strut that hooks between the swingarm, and the rear shock... that is your ride height sensor.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    on your Limited!
    I'm pretty sure that the "parking brake beep" was just an anomaly that was the result of everything that was going on at the time... I wouldn't worry much about it.
    As regards your weight and the ACS system:
    The ACS is measuring ride height only. It will automatically do what is necessary to keep the ride height constant. You use the suspension buttons in front of you to "fine-tune" what the ride height setting is.
    If you look up at the rear shock on the left-hand side of the bike (About where the bodywork dips down near it); you'll see a strut that hooks between the swingarm, and the rear shock... that is your ride height sensor.
    Thanks Bob!

Spyder Garage

1) I think the music part is MP3's on a memory card. In order to play your phone through the speakers, you can connect to the USB in the trunk, but you may not have control in SIRIUS. Only the iPhones / iPads have full control. Android devices just advance to next song only. There is a trick I did on my 2016 RT-S. This is your model without the GPS. I prefer to use my phone for the GPS and music. On the left side of the bike sip tied to the rear of the gas tank is the cable for your GPS. It has the standard 1/8th headphone jack (female) going to the GPS audio. My bike it was just zip tied with a cover on it, having no GPS. You could put a "Y" adaptor inline (male to two females). Then run a male-to-male (3ft or 6ft) up and out of the rubber cover in the center of your handle bars. But then it's GPS or music. Or just use the phone for GPS.

2) Possible - was light still flashing on the dash? That would tell you if it thought brake was off. Be sure you set it when engine is running and watch (and feel the peddle drop a bit).

3) Many choices, I use spray detailer. Lamonster carries some good stuff.

4) Thats mainly (IMHO) to level the bike - so the only time you will notice anything is at night time. Adjust the level so your headlights are aimed well and not blowing up peoples faces in cars . Then leave there. Many of us haul trailers, ride two-up, etc. and know which level to use to keep bike level.

Welcome and have fun!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob!
    Glad to help out when I can!
    I used to use those suspension adjustment buttons to fine-tune my lights.... it also affects your headlight aim!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I use All Kleer, it's designed for plastic windshields, and I think it's priced fine. I got mine on Amazon.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

• The speaker on the gps isn't designed for listening to music.
    • You can load music on the gps for it to play via BT through your helmet communicator, but not through the bike's sound system.
    • The audio plug in the trunk is where you can connect your phone to play music; this goes just to the bike's speakers, not your helmet.
    • There is a dongle that can be added to the bike's sound system to provide BT connection capability; it doesn't come built in.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

&

or did not happen.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    • The speaker on the gps isn't designed for listening to music.
    • You can load music on the gps for it to play via BT through your helmet communicator, but not through the bike's sound system.
    • The audio plug in the trunk is where you can connect your phone to play music; this goes just to the bike's speakers, not your helmet.
    • There is a dongle that can be added to the bike's sound system to provide BT connection capability; it doesn't come built in.
    How does the gps voice come through the bike's sound system?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Nice looking spyder! What is going to be your first farkle?

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 ( cognac), look at "My Albums" for farkle ideas. Also, visit the "Vendors" on the "homepage". For some farkle ideas. They are awesome, excellent customer service.

My "Dashboard" ( on mine Blueknight911 painted it, I got the idea from his dashboard).

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    I use All Kleer, it's designed for plastic windshields, and I think it's priced fine. I got mine on Amazon.
    I will order some tonight! Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Nice looking spyder! What is going to be your first farkle?

I have a 2014RTS-SE6 ( cognac), look at "My Albums" for farkle ideas. Also, visit the "Vendors" on the "homepage". For some farkle ideas. They are awesome, excellent customer service.

My "Dashboard" ( on mine Blueknight911 painted it, I got the idea from his dashboard).

Deanna

Love the Stainless grills by your feet! WOW!

Spyder Garage

FinFan3DP, Congratulations and Welcome, NICE color, is that matching your truck in the back ground as well.
    Looks like you got a couple farkles already installed, Cup holder, back rest and pax arm rests. Nice Ryde.
    May it bring you many, many miles of smiles!

In answer to washing / detailing, I'll put another log on fire for Lamonster's Black Dymond, it wipes bugs right off and helps keep the Spyder clean, good for all surfaces, I use it on my windshield, the painted body, the black plastic bits, and the chrome.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    FinFan3DP, Congratulations and Welcome, NICE color, is that matching your truck in the back ground as well.
    Looks like you got a couple farkles already installed, Cup holder, back rest and pax arm rests. Nice Ryde.

In answer to washing / detailing, I'll put another log on fire for Lamonster's Black Dymond, it wipes bugs right off and helps keep the Spyder clean, good for all surfaces, I use it on my windshield, the painted body, the black plastic bits, and the chrome.
    Yes, it's a 2017 Ford Edge Sport.... My last 5 Edges, have been white. "Good Guys Ride White Horses" is what my Grandfather used to say! I will check out Black Dymond tonight!

Spyder Garage

Just realized you were talking about the seller's truck in the background. I will have to get a pic of it in my garage so you can see the Edge Sport.

Spyder Garage

Love the Stainless grills by your feet! WOW!
    Sent PM, about the grills.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

36722706_10214804660704225_182670211843883008_o.jpg There is one with my Edge Sport in the same Pearl color.
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How does the gps voice come through the bike's sound system?
    The OEM wiring harness for the gps connects to the sound system harness. It should override whatever you are listening to on the speakers.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The OEM wiring harness for the gps connects to the sound system harness. It should override whatever you are listening to on the speakers.
    So theoretically if you can connect the bluetooth from your phone to the gps wouldnt it play your phone through the bikes sound system?
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have to say that Lamonster's Black Diamond detailing products are the very best you can find. They work on all surfaces and the Black Renew Product will keep all the Black plastics parts on the RT really beautiful, and they really POP next to that Pearl White!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So theoretically if you can connect the bluetooth from your phone to the gps wouldnt it play your phone through the bikes sound system?
    That's not how it works .
    2014 RTL Platinum