Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone successfully installed a Guard Dawg Keyless ingnition system??

Don't know if this system will screw with the bus.

to see Gurad Dawg Keyless

to see Guard Dawg Manual
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I assume you mean the Canbus. There no connections made to the data lines. So I see no reason to have any effect on the Canbus

No mention in the instructions how to deal with the chipped key. But that would not that hard to do.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You are still going to need you key in the ignition for the DESS to be deactivated so this system will have the ability to take over.

All this system does is to prevent the need to actually turn the key. Ultimately the DESS is what is looking after your bike for you.

You could have DESS turned off but there goes any real protection. In that case there is no DESS to satisfy and this little security device thingy acts as your key tumbler. This type of product is not designed to interact with smart systems.

These types of systems are a security risk not an improvement. They are made for bikes that do not have "Chipped" keys. These types of Wireless systems are a joke. They are not far behind the add your own "Push Button Start" add-on for your car gimmick.

I can't tell you how many of these types of "things" I have removed from peoples bikes over the years and have had to rebuild wire harnesses after hack jobs. They have been around for a while. Poor installs and crappy products. This is a lot of money for the purchase and install to save some wear and tare on your key turning wrist. More things to go wrong.

Keep you hard earned money for an oil change!

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. Could one not have a chipped key somewhere near the switch (say in the glove box) and still use this system? (asking for a friend )
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

From my experimentation. The key has a range of less than an inch. Simple enough to remove the DESS antenna from the ignition switch. Friction fit. Tape a key into it. Then hide it under the body work somewhere.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    From my experimentation. The key has a range of less than an inch. Simple enough to remove the DESS antenna from the ignition switch. Friction fit. Tape a key into it. Then hide it under the body work somewhere.

I actually did this with a Ford Windstar van we had. I wanted to add a remoter start to it and found that I needed an additional $450's in "modules" to make it work. Nope!!!

Hacked a key off and lightly wire-tied the head to the coil (antenna) that was around the tumbler. Problem solved.

Tim

3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Could one not have a chipped key somewhere near the switch (say in the glove box) and still use this system? (asking for a friend )
    Well... you could. See my above post. It has to be very very close as Billybovine mentioned.

But like I said...I still think your better off with-out this. It offers not real benefit to you or your bike. If your scared of forgetting your key or losing it, have key a hidden one on the bike. I do this with my Goldwings and all the other bikes too. If you use this and set it up the way they want you to then you are up the creek if your FOB battery is dead or dies or the unit lock up or malfunctions because the original key tumbler is cut out of the circuit.

Tim

___

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post
    Well... you could. See my above post. It has to be very very close as Billybovine mentioned.

But like I said...I still think your better off with-out this. It offers not real benefit to you or your bike. If your scared of forgetting your key or losing it, have key a hidden one on the bike. I do this with my Goldwings and all the other bikes too. If you use this and set it up the way they want you to then you are up the creek if your FOB battery is dead or dies or the unit lock up or malfunctions because the original key tumbler is cut out of the circuit.

Tim
    Already have one hidden. I put it under the pop up lid under the headlights. Just thot it would be cool, but too pricey for cool. Farkles first!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Already have one hidden. I put it under the pop up lid under the headlights. Just thot it would be cool, but too pricey for cool. Farkles first!
    Yes... Farkles. Many many farkles... mmmmm.

Tim

___

Spyder Garage

I would not do it. Not really worth the expense and labour in my opinion. But I would like to see someone else do it out of curiosity if it does work and if any issues come up.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post

You could have DESS turned off but there goes any real protection. In that case there is no DESS to satisfy and this little security device thingy acts as your key tumbler. This type of product is not designed to interact with smart systems.

Tim

This is a misconception. Since the DESS system has a defective design, it offers no security. It can be disabled with no key present. Its only function is to inhibit the owner from using the bike when wanted. Disabling the DESS does not decrease security, it only increases reliability since the system was implemented with security holes big enough to drive a bus through. The 2008 thru 2013 system actually did work and was secure.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame