Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Don't Be Fooled! Looking at you DOES NOT mean they SEE you!

I just read an article by Jay Leno in Haggerty - Driver's Club magazine. If you aren't familiar. Leno is a big enthusiast and has a large collection of vehicles, including motorcycles. He owns the 1st production Spyder. And he rides/drives them as well.

Speaking about motorcycle safety, he advises 'Riding any motorcycle, especially in Los Angeles, takes some skill and focus. Whenever I'm at a light, I look right at the other drivers and try to make eye contact so I know they see me.'

My advice? Don't get fooled! This is not a great idea at all. A driver can, and will, look right at you and not see you. You think you have connection and ride accordingly. But many times, you don't. It's a trap. Not to mention that you're spending precious time, laser focused on one stationary person, when you should be taking in the entire dynamic picture.

Instead, use your time to identify your hazards and assume other drivers DON'T see you at all. it's the only way to stay safe. This approach is even more essential when you are moving.

Forget the eye contact. You can't know what is in another person's head. Rely on the only brain, vision, and vehicle you control. Assumptions can be dangerous.

Have a Great Christmas!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-11-2023 at 10:45 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...