Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Lower Brake Pedal on 2021 Spyder RTL

I saw several threads on here about the F3 mod from Lamonster to lower the brake pedal.
    I even found the installation manual for the Can Am version on their site.

My question is, is there such a modification for the RTL?

I have a bit of sciatica in my right leg so lifting my entire leg to put my foot on the brake tends to aggravate it. If the pedal was just a bit lower so I could just pivot my foot on my heel that would remedy it.
    2021 Sea to Sky , Highland Green

Spyder Garage

You might want to contact Lamonster Garage direct.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Hi Twidget!
    Just curious if you have found the answer to this as I too would like to lower the brake pedal on my 2021 RTL if possible.
    Thanks..

Spyder Garage

Me too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While the brake pedal placement on the current gen RT (I have a 2021 RT base) is far better then the previous generation (I had a 2018 RT Limited), it's still a ways to the brake pedal. I'd like to see some way to move the pedal down a bit. Not sure if it can be done as I think (and I could very well be wrong) it's directly attached to the master cylinder lever whereas the F3 brake pedal has a long bar connecting the 2 (easier to make a bar a 1/2 size shorter to lower the pedal). Could very well be that an entirely new RT brake pedal would have to be fabricated. Nothing Lamont couldn't do/offer but the ROI might not make it worth the effort. (i.e. if it cost Lamont $600 to make a new pedal (I'm thinking billet IPS style to match the rest of his IPS stuff ) and he doesn't feel he could sell same for more than $150, he's not going to do it just to lose money. I mean, he's a nice guy and all but you can't run a successful business by losing money.

Spyder Garage

What about a spacer of some type to raise your HEEL.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

When I took my trike class on a 2021 RT-L I thought the same thing(brake pedal was a little difficult to fine with my foot) after practicing on my 2018 for a week just around the RV Park.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rather than lower the brake pedal, Lamonster has a kit for raising the floor boards 1 1/2 inches. this makes the pedal closer to the top of the floor boards, and easier to mount the 2020RTL+, swinging your leg over the seat. I plan on ordering this mainly for my wife to get her leg over the seat when mounting. WIN, WIN in our case! (Very simple add-on) and an (Excellent Video by the Boss Himself)...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Rather than lower the brake pedal, Lamonster has a kit for raising the floor boards 1 1/2 inches. this makes the pedal closer to the top of the floor boards, and easier to mount the 2020RTL+, swinging your leg over the seat. I plan on ordering this mainly for my wife to get her leg over the seat when mounting. WIN, WIN in our case!
    That will work for people of shorter stature, but taller people will lose leg room. However, watching Lamonster's video, it looks like the brake lever is mounted on a splined shaft. I wonder if it could be rotated one spline on the shaft to be lowered. Mine is still in storage, but I plan to look at it soon because I would like my brake lowered too.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mich, I believe your right, I watched that video again and it does appear that the pedal is on a splined shaft, this pedal could be moved (1, maybe 2 spline ) For us old dogs with short legs , we can't lift our leg near as high as the younger generation. so the riser step would come into play .( Like lowering the hydrant for us )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    That will work for people of shorter stature, but taller people will lose leg room. However, watching Lamonster's video, it looks like the brake lever is mounted on a splined shaft. I wonder if it could be rotated one spline on the shaft to be lowered. Mine is still in storage, but I plan to look at it soon because I would like my brake lowered too.
    Actually, being a rider of “taller stature” myself, I have ordered Lamont’s 20/21 RT board raisers and am going to have a go at inverting them to lower the board. Don’t know if it will work yet as I have not yet got my 20/21 RT, but Lamont can’t see any reason it wouldn’t (although he hasn’t tried it). That still doesn’t fix the high brake pedal (in fact it makes it higher), but one problem at a time. Hopefully the spline will allow some adjustment.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

There's a fair amount of work trying to change the spline position. Don't bother I tried it right after I bought my bike a year ago the splines are too coarse and it doesn't work.

Spyder Garage

When I did the Can Am class we used a 2021 Spyder Rt-l and I thought the pedal was too high also. Now I have purchased a 2020 RT-L and the brake pedal is lower than was on the 2021 so I'm guessing that it's on a splined shaft also and could be adjusted to suit you. It wouldn't take much effort to do/try, what do you have to loose? You might even save some money in the process.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Actually, being a rider of “taller stature” myself, I have ordered Lamont’s 20/21 RT board raisers and am going to have a go at inverting them to lower the board. Don’t know if it will work yet as I have not yet got my 20/21 RT, but Lamont can’t see any reason it wouldn’t (although he hasn’t tried it). That still doesn’t fix the high brake pedal (in fact it makes it higher), but one problem at a time. Hopefully the spline will allow some adjustment.

Pete
    I like your thinking! (I'm tall too) My concern would be the board hitting the brake lever when it's moved down. I'm going to be watching for your results! Keep us informed.
    If the splines are too coarse as TIMMB said, it might work with your idea.

Spyder Garage

Interesting thread here ! I've been wanting to either lower the brake pedal or raise the floorboard on our 2015 RT-L.
    I just got off the phone with Lamonster Garage and they don't have a kit for raising the floorboard (for the rider anyway, only the passenger) for my model Spyder.

I'm going to check out the splines myself, but after reading the previous posts don't holds out much luck. Lowering the pedal itself would seem to be the best option.
    If I (or someone else) can figure that out .......

I already have the brake pedal extension arm but that only partly solves my problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Interesting thread here ! I've been wanting to either lower the brake pedal or raise the floorboard on our 2015 RT-L.
    I just got off the phone with Lamonster Garage and they don't have a kit for raising the floorboard (for the rider anyway, only the passenger) for my model Spyder.

I'm going to check out the splines myself, but after reading the previous posts don't holds out much luck. Lowering the pedal itself would seem to be the best option.
    If I (or someone else) can figure that out .......

I already have the brake pedal extension arm but that only partly solves my problem.
    This thread pertains to 2020 & 2021 RT/RTL models. The info probably isn't going to help much on your '15.

Spyder Garage

Cut a small piece out of the arm and weld back together? Bet there could be issues of the pedal hitting the floorboards. It comes back to the distance between the bottom of the pedal and the floorboards.

A cutout in the floor boards? Is it feasible?

Spyder Garage

I like your thinking! (I'm tall too) My concern would be the board hitting the brake lever when it's moved down. I'm going to be watching for your results! Keep us informed.
    If the splines are too coarse as TIMMB said, it might work with your idea.
    Fingers crossed that I don’t have to wait too long for the new models to hit Aussie shores, Michael. Yeah, I don’t know what issues I may come across when I try to invert the risers, but fingers crossed. I thought I would get in early just in case Lamont ran out of the risers and decided it wasn’t worth making any more I also hope that the spline idea will work as that would solve a big issue with the brake pedal height.
    Just out of interest, how tall are you? You have been able to adjust ok to accessing the pedal in a hurry?

Pete

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Fingers crossed that I don’t have to wait too long for the new models to hit Aussie shores, Michael. Yeah, I don’t know what issues I may come across when I try to invert the risers, but fingers crossed. I thought I would get in early just in case Lamont ran out of the risers and decided it wasn’t worth making any more I also hope that the spline idea will work as that would solve a big issue with the brake pedal height.
    Just out of interest, how tall are you? You have been able to adjust ok to accessing the pedal in a hurry?

Pete

Pete
    I’m short compared to you at only 6’4”. I came off of a F3 Daytona and F3T. Definitely more leg room on those, but with 3000 miles on my new RTL I have gotten use to less on it. Lots of room to move around on the RT floor boards and you can stand on them at slower speeds and stop signs to stretch and give your butt a break (a nice bonus that you can’t do on an F3!)
    I’m also use to the brake pedal height, but I’d really like it a little lower. I’m really liking the RTL(hated the pre 2020 ones), and the power windshield is amazing! No more head buffeting problems. I tried 7 different windshields on my 3 F3’s and never found one that was great.

Spyder Garage

I’m short compared to you at only 6’4”. I came off of a F3 Daytona and F3T. Definitely more leg room on those, but with 3000 miles on my new RTL I have gotten use to less on it. Lots of room to move around on the RT floor boards and you can stand on them at slower speeds and stop signs to stretch and give your butt a break (a nice bonus that you can’t do on an F3!)
    I’m also use to the brake pedal height, but I’d really like it a little lower. I’m really liking the RTL(hated the pre 2020 ones), and the power windshield is amazing! No more head buffeting problems. I tried 7 different windshields on my 3 F3’s and never found one that was great.
    Sounds very encouraging...thanks Michael.... and yes, one of the big reasons for me getting the new RT is the adjustable screen. I had one on my Vic Vision and absolutely loved it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I am 6'2". I would really like a lower brake pedal but I am getting used to it. Have only had the Spyder two weeks, have almost 200 miles and the more I ride the more I am getting used to the pedal but lowering it would still be nice and I would be will to pay a reasonable price for something that does the job well.

Maybe Lamonster will see all the interest on this and come up with something.
    2021 Sea to Sky , Highland Green

Spyder Garage

Don't raise the bridge, lower the river!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

This thread pertains to 2020 & 2021 RT/RTL models. The info probably isn't going to help much on your '15.
    Yeah, I realize I "invaded" a thread. Just thought I may get some helpful information out of it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Yeah, I realize I "invaded" a thread. Just thought I may get some helpful information out of it.
    I don't think you "invaded" at all. I just didn't want you to think the info discussed would all necessarily work on your bike.

Spyder Garage

I made a comment about having to notch the floorboard so the brake pedal wouldn't hit the floor board. Made those comments by just visualizing my 2020 RTL floorboards and this evening I took a closer look and realize the floorboard is already that way, so that interference with the brake pedal to the floorboard shouldn't be a problem. It also looks like this could be turned on the spline and still have brake pedal left before it would get even with a floorboard. Has anyone actually tried to move the brake pedal on the spline to see if in fact that's going to work?

With pretty bad knees working the brake pedal is a bit of an issue for me even to the point that I thought about maybe I should consider a handbrake. In fact from riding motorcycles my reaction time in applying the brake may improve, since I've reached for the handbrake more than once riding this spider.