Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Monster Fuel Injection Stage 2 Flash - F3T 2016

Hi,

Reading all post about Monster Flash, I'm really thinking about getting it done.

For Stage 2, it seems like the sound might be a little different.

Actually, everything is stock on my F3T (motor, spark plug, air filter, exhaust, ...). And besides the small modification that Monster will do to the Air Filter Box, I'm planning to keep it that way.

Can someone who has it done can tell me if the result sounds will be that different ? will it be louder ?

My wife, which rides 90% of the time with me, just cannot stand any "loud noise" coming from any bikes. So, I'd like to know in advance what I might end up with.

Thanks !
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Hi,

If you are going to have both the catalyst and stock muffler still on the bike you should probably just get stage 1. It makes the best of the stock bike.

When you add even more fuel, ignition and also air to the engine it will need to breathe easier to get some, or at least full, benefit from the stage 2.
    2016 F3-S Special Series , Matte Black

Spyder Garage

I would get stage 1 & a cat delete with a baffle. I just ordered a longer version of the can opener baffle to put in mine. Should quiet it down some more & regain some low end that was lost.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

The holes in the air box lid for stage 2 make a noticeable intake sound at certain rpms. Since the top of the filter lid and the holes point up toward me, it's kind of like a honk in my face.
    It has taken about 250 miles for me to get all the mapping changes working. It's not just the ECU receiving information and adjusting, I have to adjust my driving and shifting style.
    Stage 1 has about the same hp and torque as stage 2 until about 6,500 then the dyno graphs start to separate. You have to be a seasoned rider to really feel the difference.
    So, Stage 1 will put a smile on your face just fine with only a slight change in sound.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

I have a stage II...I will be the first to say pay the money and go that route...the stage I gives you good top end...but..the stage II..also gives you better low end torque..more bottom end power...thats the main area where the Spyder is lacking ...the stage II resolves that ...I do agree with you on keeping the exhaust stock...the Remap will give you more air and fuel which will make it slightly louder because it's no longer running lean...it will run the way it's supposed to from the factory...I also drag race tested both the stage I and stage II..so I know the bottom end is better on stage II..

Spyder Garage

I have to disagree with gunner. If you are doing any flash I would remove the cat. That thing is so restrictive, plus now with the more fuel (so to speak) going to it, it’s going to get hotter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    Hi,

Reading all post about Monster Flash, I'm really thinking about getting it done.

For Stage 2, it seems like the sound might be a little different.

Actually, everything is stock on my F3T (motor, spark plug, air filter, exhaust, ...). And besides the small modification that Monster will do to the Air Filter Box, I'm planning to keep it that way.

Can someone who has it done can tell me if the result sounds will be that different ? will it be louder ?

My wife, which rides 90% of the time with me, just cannot stand any "loud noise" coming from any bikes. So, I'd like to know in advance what I might end up with.

Thanks !
    I had the Stage 1 ECU upgrade & now Monster Fuel Injection did Stage 2 over the Winter. I can't hear any difference between Stage 1 or stage 2 or stock.. The CAT delete pipe will make it obnoxiously Loud--I even tried it with 2 Baffles which gave it a very weird sound. I'm going to put up with the extra CAT weight as I removed the CAT delete , installed the CAT & it's much better sound wise. To each his own, my neighbor is a lot happier with the CAT installed :-)
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    I have to disagree with gunner. If you are doing any flash I would remove the cat. That thing is so restrictive, plus now with the more fuel (so to speak) going to it, it’s going to get hotter.
    Its going to run better...not hotter...as long as you change your oil every 5000 miles (that's very important)...he won't have any problems with a stock cat...and it's obvious he's not going to race it...so he can easily run a stock cat without any problems.

Spyder Garage

Just to clarify, I meant the cat is going to be hotter, not the engine. The more hydrocarbons going into it the hotter it will become. Monster recommends cat removal with both stages, but only stage 1 with a cat. I’m experimenting with my exhaust right now to see if I can quiet it down with the cat delete. I’m really tempted to make my own chambered muffler but waiting to see if what I’m going to do first will work. The down side to cat removal with or without flash is the noise (some like it & some don’t).

Spyder Garage

Good info regarding the cat stage I..

Spyder Garage

Please tell me where to get the ECU flash... I keep reading about it but never see where you go to get help. Thx

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I had the Stage 1 ECU upgrade & now Monster Fuel Injection did Stage 2 over the Winter. I can't hear any difference between Stage 1 or stage 2 or stock.. The CAT delete pipe will make it obnoxiously Loud--I even tried it with 2 Baffles which gave it a very weird sound. I'm going to put up with the extra CAT weight as I removed the CAT delete , installed the CAT & it's much better sound wise. To each his own, my neighbor is a lot happier with the CAT installed :-)
    Darrell
    I’m the same as you regarding noise level increase, Darrell. I noticed no difference between stock and stage 2 of Jase’s tune. He also told me I needed to make no changes to the stock F3 setup, unless I’m looking for extra “mousepower”. For what I was looking to achieve re torque and responsiveness, it has exceeded expectations.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I’m the same as you regarding noise level increase, Darrell. I noticed no difference between stock and stage 2 of Jase’s tune. He also told me I needed to make no changes to the stock F3 setup, unless I’m looking for extra “mousepower”. For what I was looking to achieve re torque and responsiveness, it has exceeded expectations.

Pete
    Exactly Pete, The mousepower with Cat delete would be on the very top end of rpm & mph--kph to you Pete :-) . With the Cat delete I lost considerable off the line torque--the rear wheel never even spun, the added baffles I used were inadequate to provide the back pressure the engine needed at low rpm.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    I have a stage II...I will be the first to say pay the money and go that route...the stage I gives you good top end...but..the stage II..also gives you better low end torque..more bottom end power...thats the main area where the Spyder is lacking ...the stage II resolves that ...I do agree with you on keeping the exhaust stock...the Remap will give you more air and fuel which will make it slightly louder because it's no longer running lean...it will run the way it's supposed to from the factory...I also drag race tested both the stage I and stage II..so I know the bottom end is better on stage II..
    I'm going to the 1/4 mi dragstrip on May 10th with Columbus Racing who leased the track for the day. What was your best ET & mph in the 1/4 mi ???
    Darrell

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exactly Pete, The mousepower with Cat delete would be on the very top end of rpm & mph--kph to you Pete :-) . With the Cat delete I lost considerable off the line torque--the rear wheel never even spun, the added baffles I used were inadequate to provide the back pressure the engine needed at low rpm.
    Darrell
    JMHO , but I think at the Drag track …. top end would be an advantage …………… Controlling the Spyder off the line is critical ( of course the timing lights are most important ) …...………… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    JMHO , but I think at the Drag track …. top end would be an advantage …………… Controlling the Spyder off the line is critical ( of course the timing lights are most important ) …...………… Mike
    They spray the track's 1st 100-200 ft thus I don't think I should be having a wheel spin problem issue. As for ET--1/4 of my timing slips have R/L written on them . I'm racing myself to see what the F3's will do, I imagine most of the runs I'll be looking at tail lights in the other lane Out of 50 vehicles allowed I'll be the only Spyder. Columbus Racing has the track leased for the entire day so getting runs in shouldn't be a problem If I feel in a competitive mood I may remove the 28" F4 windshield & saddle bags but generally I just want to see how it does in normal street dressing.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    Please tell me where to get the ECU flash... I keep reading about it but never see where you go to get help. Thx
    https://monsterfuelinjection.com/hom.../canam-spyder/ in Canada. They also have someone in the USA who does their work locally--contact them & they will give you the USA info.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

They spray the track's 1st 100-200 ft thus I don't think I should be having a wheel spin problem issue. As for ET--1/4 of my timing slips have R/L written on them . I'm racing myself to see what the F3's will do, I imagine most of the runs I'll be looking at tail lights in the other lane Out of 50 vehicles allowed I'll be the only Spyder. Columbus Racing has the track leased for the entire day so getting runs in shouldn't be a problem If I feel in a competitive mood I may remove the 28" F4 windshield & saddle bags but generally I just want to see how it does in normal street dressing.
    Darrell
    "spray the tracks 1st 100-200 ft. " …… What are they spraying it with ???? …………… I've seen them spray the staging area Before the timing lights to Promote wheel spin to warm the tires...…. but nothing on the actual track surface they race on …… Mike

Spyder Garage

"spray the tracks 1st 100-200 ft. " …… What are they spraying it with ???? …………… I've seen them spray the staging area Before the timing lights to Promote wheel spin to warm the tires...…. but nothing on the actual track surface they race on …… Mike
    Wrongo Mikie--they spray water for the burnout--I believe the spray that starts at the tree is VHT traction compound . This is on a sanctioned track--not a Vermont back road
    bro d
    PS: It is sprayed before the race begins--don't know how long it takes to dry?

Spyder Garage

Wrongo Mikie--they spray water for the burnout--I believe the spray that starts at the tree is VHT traction compound . This is on a sanctioned track--not a Vermont back road
    bro d
    PS: It is sprayed before the race begins--don't know how long it takes to dry?
    " wrongo " ….. re-read what I posted !!!!! …………IMHO 1200 + HP fuel dragsters would explode if the tires had more traction ……..Mikie

Spyder Garage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5wQajhGaeI So whatcha think??

Spyder Garage

" wrongo " ….. re-read what I posted !!!!! …………IMHO 1200 + HP fuel dragsters would explode if the tires had more traction ……..Mikie
    How about a 10,000 HP Funny Car
    http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/03/...romethane-car/

Read the entire article bro Mike. They measure the track adhesiveness with a type of board & a torgue measure to see how much pressure it requires to life the board from the track. Righto :-)

Plus Mikie--they all run Kendra tires---NOT :-)

Spyder Garage

Holy crap - I stand corrected ………" live and learn " - meaculpa, meaculpa …………… well my comment about 1200HP, should have signaled - I'm not exactly up to date on current Drag Racing practices …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Holy crap - I stand corrected ………" live and learn " - meaculpa, meaculpa …………… well my comment about 1200HP, should have signaled - I'm not exactly up to date on current Drag Racing practices …. Mike
    It's all cool Mike---I've even been in error once this year--it'was the time I said I've never been wrong
    bro d aka Darrell

The main issue of high powered cars & motorcycles that set records is in the "Clutch settings" If the clutch locked up they would all spin going nowhere. I've heard the top Fuel dragsters have up to 12 levels of clutch settings--just to go down the track in under 4 seconds. 1250+ HP yeah--currently they ware selling street cars with close to 1000 HP with a warranty. Actually one can buy a new Mustang supercharged with over 750 HP for $50,000.
    Bye-bye-muscle car era

Spyder Garage

Question

I have the Monster FI stage 2, cat delete with NO baffle and stock muffler. On my Spyder there is a huge difference in power between stock and stage 2 from Monster! I have tried the same set up but with a baffle in the cat delete pipe, and at least my Spyder runs worse just with that "small" limitation.
    I know Steve says it works with the cat, without the cat and everything in between, but for me itīs obvious that with more fuel AND air into the engine there also need to be better breathing for the exhaust fumes as well.
    Edit:
    I have just tested with the cat and stock muffler and I must say that Steve of course is right, it's almost exactly the same power and response with the cat and stage 2 vs without the cat and no baffle!
    He also showed me a dyno chart showing that fact.
    With cat delete AND baffle I believe the performance surprisingly is worse. My conclusion is that the baffle is restricting the flow more than the cat does.

My Spyder definitely has better top range power without baffle and itīs more responsive and "on edge"
    I donīt understand how some here can say it lacks low end torque with stage 1 or 2 and cat delete without baffle, mine is so much more powerful in all rpmīs and the dyno obviously shows 25 extra hp.
    If I run on 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear at 3500-4500 rpm and open full throttle it pulls like a space shuttle! The same if I give half throttle and then suddenly give full throttle it has a very substantial extra pull which is not at all present in a stock Spyder.
    2016 F3-S Special Series , Matte Black