Spyder Garage

Default Factory Air box Mod

It seems several users have modded the factory airbox in various ways as to open it up and allow more air intake. Then Add the K$N filter .
    This seems quite appealing and reported results have been mostly positive. However, one user reported in addition to more power he lost some top end speed and burns more fuel. Love to get more input from anyone who has done the mod, How it was done, and any changes noticed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntent02 View Post
    It seems several users have modded the factory airbox in various ways as to open it up and allow more air intake. Then Add the K$N filter .
    This seems quite appealing and reported results have been mostly positive. However, one user reported in addition to more power he lost some top end speed and burns more fuel. Love to get more input from anyone who has done the mod, How it was done, and any changes noticed.
    I good paper filter is much better than a K$N duster filter. K&N gets low marks on filtration.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

As far as to say they got more power I would not think so!! Will you have a throater sound coming from out of the hood, yes! It may breath better and fell a little snapper, but the computers going to make the changes to the bike to keep it in it's happy spot so is it worth it, I do not think so! Back in the 60's we use ti flip our air breather covers over and think we had souped up our old junks, yes it sounded cool gulping all that extra air, did it really do any thing?? Now if you remap the old ECU, yup that will wake it up!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    As far as to say they got more power I would not think so!! Will you have a throater sound coming from out of the hood, yes! It may breath better and fell a little snapper, but the computers going to make the changes to the bike to keep it in it's happy spot so is it worth it, I do not think so! Back in the 60's we use ti flip our air breather covers over and think we had souped up our old junks, yes it sounded cool gulping all that extra air, did it really do any thing?? Now if you remap the old ECU, yup that will wake it up!!!
    ... I have been saying this for Years now .... combustion engines that are Computer controlled ( almost every engine today ) will correct for any " OLD school " mods you make. The computer will adjust settings to what was Programmed into the OEM- ECU. .... It would be helpful to What engine you are working with ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

So, anybody come up with a handy dandy tweaking tool for the brain on these things? Is there an app for that? And is bricking your computer covered in warranty? <G>
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

There is a lot of debate about what these different mods will do. And I don't want to ruffle any feathers. But in the interest of current information. I offer this.

The auto industry has always been looking for a method to adjust the fuel/air mixture as conditions change. Carburetors have gone through many changes. Sometimes more than 1 in a model year. The Constant Velocity carburetor is just one example of attempts to create a system that could compensate for variations on the fly. But computers have taken over the industry. And for good reason. They are able to adjust, real time, for all the variations which can affect power, fuel mileage and other functions.

Here is what a person from the Denver Automotive and Diesel College had to say. I think this sums it up pretty well.

Most ECU'S have the ability to compensate for a range of things. A speed density system uses calculations based upon throttle position, barometric pressure and most important, O2 sensor readings. Based on barometric pressure and throttle position they can calculate how much air is going into the engine and roughly how much oxygen that air contains. And with that it sprays in an amount of fuel. The fuel gets burnt and the O2 sensors tell the computer if it is running rich or lean. And then it either adds or subtracts fuel to try and achieve the desired air fuel ratio. It works but it is a little sluggish. Now add a mass airflow sensor and it can more accurately determine how much air is going into that engine and calculate how much fuel to inject into the engine. So, if you add an intake & exhaust that flows better, your computer will automatically compensate. The faster the exhaust can get out, and the faster new fresh air can come in. the more potential the computer will have to produce power to the limit of the computer's ability to compensate. If things go beyond what the computer is capable of compensating for, then it will turn the check engine light on, indicating a problem. But this will usually require more than a simple intake/exhaust mod. Something like a bigger turbocharger will probably do it. At this point, you will need to tune the ECU if you want to retain the modifications.

Edit: Hopefully, to clarify a bit. If you are getting more air into the system with intake & exhaust mods. The computer will add more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio constant. This should give you more power. How much is impossible to know without putting the machine on a dyno.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-02-2021 at 02:36 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    So, anybody come up with a handy dandy tweaking tool for the brain on these things? Is there an app for that? And is bricking your computer covered in warranty? <G>
    Some have sent the ecu's out and them remapped with happy results!!! Do a search, you'll find them!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Dont know about the Rykers but I've done this mod with two different two wheelers, A 2013 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE (FI, triple cylinder) and a 2000 Triumph Thunderbird 900, (carbureted, triple cylinder) and fuel mileage did drop in both, more so with the Thunderbird 900.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Wow, loads of input here. I get the impression the general consensus here feel this isnt a worthwhile mod for the ryker without being able to retune the ecu, however no specific real world experience to speak of .

Spyder Garage

Wow, loads of input here. I get the impression the general consensus here feel this isnt a worthwhile mod for the ryker without being able to retune the ecu, however no specific real world experience to speak of .
    Well actually, there's a vast amount of 'real world experience & evidence' out there supporting the fact that there's little gain to be had from modifying the air intake without re-tuning the ECU on any of these modern computer controlled engines, just not much specifically being reported here on Rykers!

Doesn't make this experience and evidence invalid at all tho Because the engine & its operation is largely controlled by the ECU & the parameters it is designed to operate within, while you can fiddle a wee bit with the specifics & around the edges, there really is very little overall to be gained from modifying your Ryker's airbox without upgrading the ECU to suit.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2021 at 07:35 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Well actually, there's a vast amount of 'real world experience & evidence' out there supporting the fact that there's little gain to be had from modifying the air intake without re-tuning the ECU on any of these modern computer controlled engines, just not much specifically being reported here on Rykers!

Doesn't make this experience and evidence invalid at all tho Because the engine & its operation is largely controlled by the ECU & the parameters it is designed to operate within, while you can fiddle a wee bit with the specifics & around the edges, there really is very little overall to be gained from modifying your Ryker's airbox without upgrading the ECU to suit.
    ( as usual ) and let me add both the Spyder and Ryker have Computer controlled engines. So unless you have the ECU re-mapped nothing you can add or delete is going to change what that computer will do ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Remapping the ECU, is the only way, everything else will result in more noise, giving the illusion, that the byke is faster, but be aware, that an ecu remap will void warranty, so find a decent tuner, who works within the rotax specs.
    This 1330 engine is also used in an aprillia 2 wheel bike, and is putting out more power, then stock brp, so agree fully with Mike and Peter.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I thought the triumph 1200 was a 4 cylinder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Used a Power Commander module previously on my two-wheelers...checked the DynoJet Power Commander V website, and there are units for some Can-Ams, but no Rykers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ixxion View Post
    Used a Power Commander module previously on my two-wheelers...checked the DynoJet Power Commander V website, and there are units for some Can-Ams, but no Rykers.
    actually the power vision 3 is available for ryker with some stock tunes and you can get a custom tune from BLR tuning on facebook

Spyder Garage

actually the power vision 3 is available for ryker with some stock tunes and you can get a custom tune from BLR tuning on facebook
    Great News. Thanks!