Spyder Garage

Default Rally Rear Fender - Owners Thoughts? Experience so far?

Good afternoon! I am getting so so close, decision after decision change, additions subtractions and probably a few epsilon as they approached infinity in another dimension. I found a good dealer, good price, great service. I saw a Rally today in person for the 1st time.

I want the Rally. Pure and simple. I want the performance. I do not want to get a 600 or 900 and get angry a few years down the road when I want to punch the computer, insert boot disk and FDISK. (haha I'm guessing someday that might not be IMpossible?) I was on the 600 track for months, so this was thought out over time.

But that open wheel?
    1. It rides in the lane where all the crud is., i.e., dead road kill guts skunks coon possum big rats cats dogs dear carcass
    2. It's going to hit dirt or that's the intention, all that dirt is going to end up on that shock right? I assume it's going to pit very quickly and seals are going to go out prematurely on that shock?
    3. Always going to be dirty. Unless I wait for June in this land of 10,000 lakes.

Looking at the two side by side to a 600, that back piece that holds the half fender on the Rally appears to be quite different that the 600. Would you need that whole back light assembly to get a full fender on a Rally? Or is that 1/2 inch tire difference just too much to clear?

Anyone actually done this or priced it out?

Experience, insight, thoughts, opinions welcome!

Spyder Garage

I have replaced the Rally fender on 3 Rykers with the standard fender. It cost around $75 for the full fender and 2 rivets from my dealer. Not really hard to do if you are a little mechanically inclined. You need to remove the rear brake caliper and rear wheel so you can get to the rivets holding the front part of the Rally fender on and drill them out. The new full fender rivets in the same place. You have to remove a few screws and bolts holding the fender on. The lights, and reflectors get moved to the new full fender. Took about an hour on the first one and the others about a half hour.
    Decided to replace after riding down my gravel driveway the first time and saw some gravel and dirt on the swing arm and shock. I liked the look of the open Rally fender but the full fender looks fine and keeps everything much cleaner.

Spyder Garage

Before you go to all that effort due to worrying over this, why not check with the GS/RS/RSS owners and even the F3 owners who have been ryding Spyders fitted with very similar 'rear fender' arrangements for quite some time now, to see what sort of problems they've had, and ask what solutions they've developed for any such issues arising?? I suspect that collectively, they've done a whole crap load of miles with those fenders over their back tires, but apart from some early cracking issues, they don't really seem to have experienced ANY of those issues to any great extent...

When you really look at it, just like with any other style of fender, including a complete cover, the majority of the road spray, dirt, skunk guts, & other rubbish etc that is concerning you is going to be spraying out almost immediately as the tire tread begins to lift off the road surface, there's really only a small percentage left that is going to remain on the tread to be carried any further as the rotating tire then passes thru the small gap between tread & metal left by the partial fender in order for it to then spray forwards onto the parts you mentioned & make it all dirty.... or at least any dirtier than it'd get with a complete cover type fender anyway?! I've searched here on this Forum & on the Aussie Forums (where more than just a couple of us frequently do some dirt miles on our Spyders) but apart from the reports & discussion about the early brackets cracking, I just don't see any threads or posts mentioning the issues you raise as concerns. That said, there are some 'shock boots' around that wrap & hide the unsightly coils of the springs, but they don't seem to have a great demand or following amongst Spyder Ryders. So while I can see WHY you might be concerned, I just can't see any evidence of it occurring. If it did, then surely there'd be some reports of that sort of thing happening during the collective millions of miles that this style of fender has been around on Spyders & maybe on a few other vehicles too??

So maybe you should just buy the Rally & see what happens? You know you want to, why worry over troubles that might not ever eventuate?

As someone famous once said, Just Buy the Damn Bike!

And then Ride More, Worry Less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-26-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a Rally and a dirt/gravel driveway and have done some riding on dirt roads. Not only do the shock and swingarm get dirty but the rack, bag and my butt do also. No $[-]!Г my experience. Already contacted dealer. New fender is $72 but he doesn't know if he can put it on.
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gskinner View Post
    I have replaced the Rally fender on 3 Rykers with the standard fender. It cost around $75 for the full fender and 2 rivets from my dealer. Not really hard to do if you are a little mechanically inclined. You need to remove the rear brake caliper and rear wheel so you can get to the rivets holding the front part of the Rally fender on and drill them out. The new full fender rivets in the same place. You have to remove a few screws and bolts holding the fender on. The lights, and reflectors get moved to the new full fender. Took about an hour on the first one and the others about a half hour.
    Decided to replace after riding down my gravel driveway the first time and saw some gravel and dirt on the swing arm and shock. I liked the look of the open Rally fender but the full fender looks fine and keeps everything much cleaner.
    Thank you for the information! Do you have before and after photos by chance? So common tools and a rivet tool is all that is needed?

Spyder Garage

I seem to be in the minority but I love the half fender on the rally! That exposed tire look really looks great. About 80% of my riding is done on dirt roads and yes the swingarm/shock area gets dirty but it does wash off. As far as me, you can see what the back of my white jersey (provided the picture comes out) looks like after a ride … almost nothing on it, just a light dusting there towards the bottom. The Ryker Rally is a toy. Ride it that way and enjoy it. If it gets some dirt or mud on it just spray it off and go riding again!
    dirty shirt.jpg
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    Thank you for the information! Do you have before and after photos by chance? So common tools and a rivet tool is all that is needed?
    I do not have any pictures yet. It is the same fender as the standard 900 so basically looks the same. Only difference is the max mount has the liner under it with the little extension out the back. Common tools including Torx bits. Also need the large socket to remove the wheel and torque wrench when you install it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I raced motorcycles for decades and you worry for nothing. Ride it! cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    yes the swingarm/shock area gets dirty but it does wash off.
    Speaking of cleaning/washing the Ryker, what are people doing? I have no access to a water hose where I live, so are there "no water required" options available? I know in the car space there are products like that but I wasn't sure what to do with the Ryker.
    2019 Can-Am Ryker 900 RE
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Haven't used it on the Ryker yet, but I'm a really big fan of this stuff when my cars don't need a true wash:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D8DR0AO/

Its pretty outstanding. It can also be mixed and used in a spray bottle for quick detailing, and I'll likely be using it on the Ryker as pollen season starts up and the matte black starts turning to yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTRyker View Post
    Speaking of cleaning/washing the Ryker, what are people doing? I have no access to a water hose where I live, so are there "no water required" options available? I know in the car space there are products like that but I wasn't sure what to do with the Ryker.
    Ryker 900 ACE - 2-up spring, max mount, passenger seat, short seat rail, Shad bag

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Before you go to all that effort due to worrying over this, why not check with the GS/RS/RSS owners and even the F3 owners who have been ryding Spyders fitted with very similar 'rear fender' arrangements for quite some time now, to see what sort of problems they've had, and ask what solutions they've developed for any such issues arising?? I suspect that collectively, they've done a whole crap load of miles with those fenders over their back tires, but apart from some early cracking issues, they don't really seem to have experienced ANY of those issues to any great extent...

When you really look at it, just like with any other style of fender, including a complete cover, the majority of the road spray, dirt, skunk guts, & other rubbish etc that is concerning you is going to be spraying out almost immediately as the tire tread begins to lift off the road surface, there's really only a small percentage left that is going to remain on the tread to be carried any further as the rotating tire then passes thru the small gap between tread & metal left by the partial fender in order for it to then spray forwards onto the parts you mentioned & make it all dirty.... or at least any dirtier than it'd get with a complete cover type fender anyway?! I've searched here on this Forum & on the Aussie Forums (where more than just a couple of us frequently do some dirt miles on our Spyders) but apart from the reports & discussion about the early brackets cracking, I just don't see any threads or posts mentioning the issues you raise as concerns. That said, there are some 'shock boots' around that wrap & hide the unsightly coils of the springs, but they don't seem to have a great demand or following amongst Spyder Ryders. So while I can see WHY you might be concerned, I just can't see any evidence of it occurring. If it did, then surely there'd be some reports of that sort of thing happening during the collective millions of miles that this style of fender has been around on Spyders & maybe on a few other vehicles too??

So maybe you should just buy the Rally & see what happens? You know you want to, why worry over troubles that might not ever eventuate?

As someone famous once said, Just Buy the Damn Bike!

And then Ride More, Worry Less!
    …….. On my 05 GS I added a 3inch extension to the fender and that improved the water/debris issue ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker2112 View Post
    Haven't used it on the Ryker yet, but I'm a really big fan of this stuff when my cars don't need a true wash:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D8DR0AO/

Its pretty outstanding. It can also be mixed and used in a spray bottle for quick detailing, and I'll likely be using it on the Ryker as pollen season starts up and the matte black starts turning to yellow.
    Doesn't the Ryker have matte surfaces? Do any of these products have an issue with matte surfaces? Reason I ask is because I have used Meguiar's Waterless Wash and that says it shouldn't be used on matte surfaces.
    2019 Can-Am Ryker 900 RE
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Most of the Ryker is plastic.. Its not the same as a matte finish paint (Had a true matte finish on my Ducati Monster, gorgeous, but pain in the rear to keep clean and VERY easy to scratch).

I haven't experienced any problems on plastics with that particular cleaner, but again, haven't tried on the Ryker just yet. I'd be happy to report back when I do.

Doesn't the Ryker have matte surfaces? Do any of these products have an issue with matte surfaces? Reason I ask is because I have used Meguiar's Waterless Wash and that says it shouldn't be used on matte surfaces.
    Ryker 900 ACE - 2-up spring, max mount, passenger seat, short seat rail, Shad bag

Spyder Garage

Where did you get the socket to remove rear wheel?

Spyder Garage

I bought one from the dealer. Part #529036457. It was expensive, I think $140. I think you can get one that fits on Ebay much cheaper. Search the forum as someone has posted about it.

Spyder Garage

Ordered my "Ford Hub Socket" yesterday from the UK, about $40 with shipping (and I don't even have my Rally yet!)
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

There was a discussion regarding the Ford hub socket on Ryker Forums. As I recall, it wasn't a great fit.

Spyder Garage

I have had no issues with the rally rear fender but I do prefer the looks of the other fender.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    I have had no issues with the rally rear fender but I do prefer the looks of the other fender.
    Your weekend ride was the acid test for the fender
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Your weekend ride was the acid test for the fender
    haha indeed! I saw his other post.

Spyder Garage

My Rally rear fender is fine as long as the roads are NOT wet??? When they are wet the swingarm will get dirty--

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Old thread I know, but here’s a potential option depending upon how dirty things are. I have at times used a 2 gallon pump sprayer to rinse my other bike, filled at the kitchen faucet. Especially where I was cleaning painted services or windshields. These are available at home centers for $15-50 US.

Of course there is also the self service car wash if you have a lot of crud and aren’t worried about high pressure spray.

Spyder Garage

Hi changing ref rear Spring / front as well . Fit R&g Shock tube to all three ( around £25 each in UK) I fitted them to my combo some years ago and am going to do same to Ryker