Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena 20 Speaker upgrade

I like my 20 setup, however never been impressed with speaker audio. As an old Ham operator (W4EH) and former Goldwing ryder I had some left over J&M head sets. My favorite was #HS-ECD477-FF Elite series. I removed the Enhanced-fidelity DynaPort speakers #HSCP-DS10, then cut the Sena speakers from the wiring. I found 3 wires, red, white and blue. Using my siginal tracer, I determined the red and white were audio. I believe the blue is for FM reception. I soldered the J&M speakers to Sensa white to white and red to black. WOW! What a diffrence. My helmet is an HJC IS17. To fit the thicker wider speakers required some knife work on the ear area of the helment. All is held in with velcro. Test ride another big WOW! Volume not more than 1/4. Keeper! My parts guy, Scott at Honda, Canam of Winston-Salem said the speskers may be ordered from J&M. Enjoy Ya'll.
    Last edited by Deer Slayer; 07-15-2016 at 08:09 PM.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

I second the HORRIBLE speakers in the Sena 20s. I posted a while back about this issue too. Thanks for the pinout ! I'm going to have to write this down so I can do mine. Steaming audio is less that pleasurable.

Did you use Replacement J&M Speakers ? Where did you get them ?
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultimate sway bar

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    I second the HORRIBLE speakers in the Sena 20s. I posted a while back about this issue too. Thanks for the pinout ! I'm going to have to write this down so I can do mine. Steaming audio is less that pleasurable.

Did you use Replacement J&M Speakers ? Where did you get them ?
    It is in the text. I used my old speakers from my cord setup for Goldwing. I put the p/n in the text. Good luck.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SENA. Speakers

SENAmust know about the20S speakers, because when they came out with
    the new 10S they had improved the speakers so much they are way better
    than the others I can supply the newer ones
    give me a call
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    give me a call
    Dave

Do the newer 10s speakers plug in to the 20s mount or do they require cutting and splicing wires?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Replacement speakers question...

give me a call
    Dave
    Are the speakers you reference plug and play like the original ones that come in the kit or are they just the speakers that would have to be soldered in place ? What's the cost and lead time ? Thanks !
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

give me a call
    Dave
    Thanks Dave, however I love the J&M speakers as I have run them on Goldwings for years. I did solder in the connectors so as to change them if they poop out due to age. Thanks for the input, as I am sure there are some who will contact you and upgrade their 20 speakers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDBrion View Post
    Are the speakers you reference plug and play like the original ones that come in the kit or are they just the speakers that would have to be soldered in place ? What's the cost and lead time ? Thanks !
    For information, I soldered the J&M connecors to Sena. It takes a beer to steady your hands. Careful removing the insulation as the multistrand wire in very fine and cuts very easily.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    I like my 20 setup, however never been impressed with speaker audio. As an old Ham operator (W4EH) and former Goldwing ryder I had some left over J&M head sets. My favorite was #HS-ECD477-FF Elite series. I removed the Enhanced-fidelity DynaPort speakers #HSCP-DS10, then cut the Sena speakers from the wiring. I found 3 wires, red, white and blue. Using my siginal tracer, I determined the red and white were audio. I believe the blue is for FM reception. I soldered the J&M speakers to Sensa white to white and red to black. WOW! What a diffrence. My helmet is an HJC IS17. To fit the thicker wider speakers required some knife work on the ear area of the helment. All is held in with velcro. Test ride another big WOW! Volume not more than 1/4. Keeper! My parts guy, Scott at Honda, Canam of Winston-Salem said the speskers may be ordered from J&M. Enjoy Ya'll.

Do these come as a pair?

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=HSCP-DS10

It doesn't say....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Do these come as a pair?

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=HSCP-DS10

It doesn't say....

Bob
    I think it would be each. But you never know. I had my old Goldwing headset to rob from. I say again, I could not be happier. I believe the great audio in in part because of the depth. They are just bigger! You can remove helmet from your head and turn up the vol and listen in the room. You would have to be deaf as a post to crank up the volume with the helment on!

Spyder Garage

Default One last item.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    For information, I soldered the J&M connecors to Sena. It takes a beer to steady your hands. Careful removing the insulation as the multistrand wire in very fine and cuts very easily.
    in your original post you mentioned a "blue" wire you suspected was something to do with the FM reception.... Any negative effects from cutting this blue wire to splice in the new speakers ? How far back from the original speakers did you make your splice ???

Details or pics appreciated.....

Thanks !
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Speakers !!!!!!!!

I will be talking with Paul at SENA
    Monday regarding orders I have in,
    at that time I will pick his brain about
    speakers and what's new on the way
    I will let you all know what I find out
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDBrion View Post
    in your original post you mentioned a "blue" wire you suspected was something to do with the FM reception.... Any negative effects from cutting this blue wire to splice in the new speakers ? How far back from the original speakers did you make your splice ???

Details or pics appreciated.....

Thanks !
    Do not connect the blue to any thing. My fm is still ok. Cut was made about 2.5 inches from the speaker.

Spyder Garage

This thread sparked my interest to actually do something about the sound quality in my helmet before I take off again on our trip to Utah next month.

I took the advice above on high quality speakers from J&M but decided to go straight to the current top of the line offering and do this once. I ordered a pair of these:

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=HSCP-LDC45-HI

Just installed them in my Arai helmet today. I cut, spliced, soldered and heat shrink the sena cables onto the J&M speakers. Took just a bit of foam trimming in the Arai ear muff sections (innerds of Arai are removable so easy to work on).

I am blown away at the improvement. Real bass, great clear voices. MUCH more efficient speakers as I do not need near the volume level to hear clearly. They are not cheap but compared to a reasonable pair of headphones, not unreasonable. The SENA 20S has pretty amazing sound quality via bluetooth and plenty of power to drive larger speakers, they just supplied them with very low end drivers.

Great upgrade if you are thinking about it. Perhaps Dave could offer some plug n play kits using these drivers for the Senas. They would sell.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    This thread sparked my interest to actually do something about the sound quality in my helmet before I take off again on our trip to Utah next month.

I took the advice above on high quality speakers from J&M but decided to go straight to the current top of the line offering and do this once. I ordered a pair of these:

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=HSCP-LDC45-HI

Just installed them in my Arai helmet today. I cut, spliced, soldered and heat shrink the sena cables onto the J&M speakers. Took just a bit of foam trimming in the Arai ear muff sections (innerds of Arai are removable so easy to work on).

I am blown away at the improvement. Real bass, great clear voices. MUCH more efficient speakers as I do not need near the volume level to hear clearly. They are not cheap but compared to a reasonable pair of headphones, not unreasonable. The SENA 20S has pretty amazing sound quality via bluetooth and plenty of power to drive larger speakers, they just supplied them with very low end drivers.

Great upgrade if you are thinking about it. Perhaps Dave could offer some plug n play kits using these drivers for the Senas. They would sell.
    An improved seal to the speaker makes a huge difference.

It appears the J&M come with a "muff" to help seal the speaker to the ear.

Speaker Muff.JPG

When I got our two 20s units they were the first high-tech Bluetooth music phone device I had ever used in a helmet on a motorcycle and I was disappointed in the thin poor sound quality when playing music. I noticed that if I held the speaker tightly against my ear it sounded pretty good so I took some ear muffs off some other throw-away headphones I had and with those muffs and careful placement in the helmet against the ear I had good sound with the stock 20s speakers. I haven't tried any of those more expensive speakers yet but before you spend the money you might try my trick. You can get new ear muffs off eBay and Amazon really cheap.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

give me a call
    Dave
    Dave,

I know the 10S speakers are much better than the SMH10 ones I used to have. But I just assumed that the S series all had the better speakers. I was suprised to hear you say otherwise.

Is Sena now including their better speakers on the 20S as well? It would seem to make sense for them to do that. Also curious to know what you found out from your conversation with Paul at Sena back in Mid July (which you referred to above).
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-27-2016 at 05:07 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Speaker adaptation

As folks are discussing speakers, and I cannot find a better thread, I will ask this question. Also, if I need to be redirected to a different thread, please help me out.

I have an ARAI helmet with an Audiocom wired system, 7 pin, direct connect with a complicated Audiocom box in a tank bag, and this was used about 8 years ago when my son and I did Canada on two wheels. The speaker quality was as I remember quite good.

Is it possible to use the speakers and/or the microphone and adapt these to a Sena or other Bluetooth set up? Also, which of the Bluetooth set ups is considered the best for helmets?

My conclusion about the radio on my new Spyder is that it is nearly useless except if sitting in traffic. Wind noise and other sounds from the Spyder make any semblance of quality impossible. So, Bluetooth, integrating my iPhone 6Plus, and the Garmin navigation i will be adding, is what I am aiming for. All advice welcome. Thanks
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Previous Spyder No. 003008

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
    As folks are discussing speakers, and I cannot find a better thread, I will ask this question. Also, if I need to be redirected to a different thread, please help me out.

I have an ARAI helmet with an Audiocom wired system, 7 pin, direct connect with a complicated Audiocom box in a tank bag, and this was used about 8 years ago when my son and I did Canada on two wheels. The speaker quality was as I remember quite good.

Is it possible to use the speakers and/or the microphone and adapt these to a Sena or other Bluetooth set up? Also, which of the Bluetooth set ups is considered the best for helmets?

My conclusion about the radio on my new Spyder is that it is nearly useless except if sitting in traffic. Wind noise and other sounds from the Spyder make any semblance of quality impossible. So, Bluetooth, integrating my iPhone 6Plus, and the Garmin navigation i will be adding, is what I am aiming for. All advice welcome. Thanks
    It is the Ham Radio guy in me. Just try them and see. This exactly what I did with the J & M speakers I have..
    Good luck and I see you are in NC...

Spyder Garage

Default @Deerslayer

Yup, hook 'em up and try it.

BTW, about 40 miles from you... K4MTL I may have heard you on the Sparta repeater.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Previous Spyder No. 003008

Spyder Garage

I have the version 10 the audio has always stunk. don't even bother anymore. will these make them work better?
    2016 F3 Limited , Crimson RED

Spyder Garage

Have you noticed any increase in the Sena battery depletion rate? It makes sense that bigger speakers will draw more power.
    Kid Doc
    2019 F3-T

All states and provinces visited solo on 2 wheels since 2006!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KidDoc View Post
    Have you noticed any increase in the Sena battery depletion rate? It makes sense that bigger speakers will draw more power.
    Thats a good question about the battery life,Im wondering as well.I have a set of speakers left over from my GW(JM) and was thinking about swapping them in but also noticed that if pressed up closer to my ear they sound better.Im thinking a better answer for me might be a ear muff which I also have left over from my GW.I have tried to slip it in but the extra pressure on my ear was uncomfortable after a while so maybe a muff thats large enuf to go around the ear and push against my head might work.It would have the added benefit of stopping some wind noise too.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just a note. This is a post from 4 years ago. So you may not get much in the way of response. Check out the Cardo Pak-Talk bold. They have a JBL speaker upgrade and they are excellent. They do not seem to drain the battery any faster.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

It is unlikely you would see any significant change in battery life with larger speakers. The speaker size and quality do not directly relate to power draw per say, but instead speaker efficiency determines how much sound pressure at a given power level. I found with a sena 10 that better speakers required a lower volume adjustment on the unit (ones I used were more efficient), which likely increased battery life.....but probably only minutes. I would not use that as a criteria for concern, the sound is worth any small change.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I used some speakers from a Panasonic Headset.....just make sure the impedance/ohms are the sameas the Senas....I think they were 34 ohms.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue