Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default TOWING WITH A CAR DOLLY

Just wondering, has anyone ever towed one of these babies with a tow dolly for compact cars? The measurements
    are right. Conceivable idea? Your thoughts.....go.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by namknight View Post
    Just wondering, has anyone ever towed one of these babies with a tow dolly for compact cars? The measurements
    are right. Conceivable idea? Your thoughts.....go.
    I would think you need to remove the belt if your going to tow it any dissident.

Spyder Garage

There was one member a long while back that tried...unsuccessfully. I wouldn't even consider it. The belt would have to be removed to keep the output shaft from turning, causing transmission wear. Wheel bearings would take a beating, too. I'm sure the dealer would not warranty any problems that arose. Even though it might be possible, I just wouldn't want to take the chance. A small, flat trailer is probably cheaper to purchase than a tow dolly, anyway.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A small, flat trailer is probably cheaper to purchase than a tow dolly, anyway.
    Problem is, for my Ryker, a "small" trailer would not due; a minimum of a 6 X 10 trailer is needed, so your tow vehicle's MPG is gonna suffer quite a bit, and trailers that size are quite expensive (compared to a small one).

I wonder then, if you could tow it backwards with drive wheel on the dolly?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Problem is, for my Ryker, a "small" trailer would not due; a minimum of a 6 X 10 trailer is needed, so your tow vehicle's MPG is gonna suffer quite a bit, and trailers that size are quite expensive (compared to a small one).

Disconnecting the belt from the rear sprocket is a quick and simple job. I think you could just tie it out of the way and not have to remove it. I wouldn't worry about wheel bearings, though some have said here that they shouldn't be spun without belt tension. Not sure why as I don't see them as special. Probably less stress on the bearings than riding down the road, as they won't have belt tension and rider/gear loads to deal with.

As for towing backwards: In Washington State you would have to relocate the license plate to face to the rear. Have thought about this myself and I would go with removing the belt and towing forward if I needed to use the dolly.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=tow+backward
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I would consider 6' x 10' a small trailer. If it is necessary to trailer it, I move the Spyder on a 8' x 20' foot equipment trailer with an 8000 GVW rating.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Perhaps you could tow it backwards, tie off the bars if necessary. This is done commonly with small cars.

Oops, I went away for a cuppa tea before posting, I see I've been gazumped. Hehe...

Spyder Garage

Would not want to try to back that rig up, even with spotters!

Nose of the Spyder will be plenty low too.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    A few choice bumps and you will see sparks flying and plastic grinding. Also note that unlike other tows, there is no pivot at the hitch so any turning is going to be done by the front wheels. Back that thing up and the wheels will turn into the direction of the turn up until the point they wont turn anymore and the whole bike will start shuddering and bucking.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

The trailer makes more sense to me!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl