Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My RT side TS works perfectly; LF side TS doesn't. Not uncommon to have to push the switch several times before the LF TS comes on...no problem canceling either. I've found that slightly pressing in on the switch while pushing it to the left will turn on the TS. Something definitely wrong with the switch. Mentioned this problem to my mx tech during the 5,000 mile checkup and he said he could not replicate the issue i.e., TS works fine. Problem has gotten worse. Will report it to my dealer again next week so it can be recorded on my mx ticket for the upcoming 10,000 mile checkup. Totally agree this is a significant safety issue...I've actually started a lane change after pressing the TS switch to the left and thinking my TS was on only to glance down and see that the TS was not on...not good!

UPDATE 14 Jan 13: Contacted dealer about LF TS. New switch housing on order. Will provide another update when switch is replaced.
    Last edited by SpyRyd; 01-14-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Update
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Exactly what I was looking for wazoo, thank you . I have filed the paperwork with them and hope that something is soon done to correct this problem. I had a near miss just a few weeks ago when I was in the second lane of the 4 south bound lanes on the freeway. I signaled to move to the right lane and failed to notice that after cancelling it had jumped to a left signal. The car behind me got frustrated and made a dangerous pass to the right lane than squeezed in ahead of me. We both go off at the next rest stop by coincidence and tore me a new one for not knowing how to drive.

Regards,

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
    BRP is NOT a publicly traded company, leaving few options to apply leverage to the company to take action. In the US the NHTSA regulates motor vehicle recalls. THe agency's website states:

NHTSA conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support its mission to improve safety on our nation's highways. NHTSA is authorized to order manufacturers to recall and repair vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment when investigations indicate they contain serious safety defects in their design, construction, or performance. NHTSA also monitors the adequacy of manufacturers' recall campaigns. Before initiating an investigation, NHTSA carefully reviews the body of consumer complaints and other available data to determine whether a defect trend may exist. [emphasis added] The interpretation is that the agency is more likely to take action if they receive alot of complaints about the same issue. I believe that if everyone on this thread filed a complaint with the NHTSA there's a good chance there would be a recall and everyone's turn signals would be replaced; at least that's my hope. If you are interested in filing a consumer complaint with the NHTSA, the link is below. I filed mine today.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    We both go off at the next rest stop by coincidence and tore me a new one for not knowing how to drive.

Regards,

Randy
    All the more reason for me to stay ole skool and use hand signals in the daytime and electrical in the nightime..

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
    BRP is NOT a publicly traded company, leaving few options to apply leverage to the company to take action. In the US the NHTSA regulates motor vehicle recalls. THe agency's website states:

NHTSA conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support its mission to improve safety on our nation's highways. NHTSA is authorized to order manufacturers to recall and repair vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment when investigations indicate they contain serious safety defects in their design, construction, or performance. NHTSA also monitors the adequacy of manufacturers' recall campaigns. Before initiating an investigation, NHTSA carefully reviews the body of consumer complaints and other available data to determine whether a defect trend may exist. [emphasis added] The interpretation is that the agency is more likely to take action if they receive alot of complaints about the same issue. I believe that if everyone on this thread filed a complaint with the NHTSA there's a good chance there would be a recall and everyone's turn signals would be replaced; at least that's my hope. If you are interested in filing a consumer complaint with the NHTSA, the link is below. I filed mine today.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Just as a matter of interest I filed my complaint ref the turn signal problem - Cancel the RIGHT then the LEFT Comes on etc from my
    address with is in the UK - They have accepted the form on their website not sure what they will make of the Zip Code as it stated
    you need 5 numbers I used 12345
    Now they will be aware its not just a Canadian/USA safety issue but it affects other markets to - Perhaps they will take to lead on this one

Update - See reply

ADN13-21876.

Thank you for submitting your Portable Form for Temporary Complaint Number (TCN) ADN13-21876 , your complaint has been received.
    Please note that your Portable Form can only be submitted once (the system will reject the form if an attempt is made to submit it again). Should you need to update or revise your complaint, please contact PortableSafetyComplaint@dot.gov, or call the Auto Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236.
    After your complaint has been processed further, you will receive another email advising of its status.
    Thank you,
    Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 01-13-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Update...

[QUOTE=SpyRyd;559099]My RT side TS works perfectly; LF side TS doesn't. Not uncommon to have to push the switch several times before the LF TS comes on...no problem canceling either. I've found that slightly pressing in on the switch while pushing it to the left will turn on the TS. Something definitely wrong with the switch. Mentioned this problem to my mx tech during the 5,000 mile checkup and he said he could not replicate the issue i.e., TS works fine. Problem has gotten worse. Will report it to my dealer again next week so it can be recorded on my mx ticket for the upcoming 10,000 mile checkup. Totally agree this is a significant safety issue...I've actually started a lane change after pressing the TS switch to the left and thinking my TS was on only to glance down and see that the TS was not on...not good!

UPDATE today, 14 Jan 13: Contacted dealer about LF TS. New switch housing on order. Will provide another update when switch is replaced.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SpyRyd;559573]
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    My RT side TS works perfectly; LF side TS doesn't. Not uncommon to have to push the switch several times before the LF TS comes on...no problem canceling either. I've found that slightly pressing in on the switch while pushing it to the left will turn on the TS. Something definitely wrong with the switch. Mentioned this problem to my mx tech during the 5,000 mile checkup and he said he could not replicate the issue i.e., TS works fine. Problem has gotten worse. Will report it to my dealer again next week so it can be recorded on my mx ticket for the upcoming 10,000 mile checkup. Totally agree this is a significant safety issue...I've actually started a lane change after pressing the TS switch to the left and thinking my TS was on only to glance down and see that the TS was not on...not good!

UPDATE today, 14 Jan 13: Contacted dealer about LF TS. New switch housing on order. Will provide another update when switch is replaced.
    UPDATE today, 18 Jan 13: Dealer called, switch housing is in. Have appointment, 22 Jan 13, to have switch replaced.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clinty76 View Post
    My 2011 RTS does the same thing. When I go to turn it off, it usually turns on the other side.

It's Super annoying......
    Ditto for my Red 2012 RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Update

[QUOTE=SpyRyd;561580]
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post

UPDATE today, 18 Jan 13: Dealer called, switch housing is in. Have appointment, 22 Jan 13, to have switch replaced.
    Switch replaced today under warranty. Left TS now works as it should. Seems canceling works better also. BTW switch housing price, $404.30, and it took 2 hours 40 minutes to replace.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New switch replacement

The replacement turn signal switch finally arrived after a five month waiting period.

the dealer replaced it Saturday and I have to say this, it is a big improvement over the old one. Smoother to operate. The driver cancel function works fantastic over the original switch!

It took the tech almost four hours to put it in and verify that all the functions were working correctly.?I

this closes my part of this thread for now.

Spyder Garage

The unwieldy canceling is a common problem with a lot of Can Ams and I would think BRP would have come up with a solution by now. With the price of new ones costing over $400 plus 2-3 hrs installation, I can see why they want to ignore it.

I would be happy if they would issue some software to allow the self-canceling to be shortened to about 15 sec instead of the 20? or so it now takes. I had a '70 Yam once that worked on the principle of something like 200 feet or 15 sec whichever came first and it wouldn't canc as long as the bike was sitting still, like at a light or waiting for a turn. This system was perfect in my eyes and I rarely ever had to canc a signal....it took care of itself.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ted,
    Do you really want the computer taking over more functions?
    It's just my opinion, but I feel that this is a mechanical issue with how robust the switches are inside the houseing. I agree; it should seem to be a simple thing to modify so as to provide better "feel" for the rider. That way, the'd know that signals were initiated or cancelled.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Some help..!!

We have an RS so I feel for the problems RT's are having with the turn signal switch. What I did to help with the visability of the turn signals was add a light for the left and right signals. (Gene's mods) Now I know witch one is on and if it is on. I know this does not help with the cancelling issue.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Turn signals

I do wish/hope that BRP comes up with a solution for the turn signals. Its a real pain in the ...... I've gotten to where I won't use them and that's not a good thing. HEY BRP........ARE YOU LISTENING!
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

This does not work on my 2016 RT-S.The only way my turn signal will cancel is to push the turn signal switch in the middle which 50% of the time also turns the right turn signal on. BRP you should be ashamed. Selling a $30,000 bike that doesn't auto cancel their turn signal. What a pain in the butt.

Spyder Garage

My left turn signal switch appears to have failed on my 2015 RT-S with 10k miles. Doesn't work at all. My husband was at the dealer today ordering the switch for the left side and on his way home, had trouble with the right turn signal switch. From the history of this thread, it appears to be a problem that just doesn't get fixed. (The dealer said it was the second turn signal switch repair they've had this week.)
    Has anyone had any response from BRP or do they just foist this off on their dealers and vehicle owners?