Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Solo trip

I've not seen passport listed yet. What about camping gear in case motels are not available?

Spyder Garage

Default Solo Ride - PASSPORT

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    I've not seen passport listed yet. What about camping gear in case motels are not available?
    I also wondered where the PASSPORT item was. You won't get into Canada without one.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default A must

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    Definitely on the checklist!
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Solo trip advice

I take all my trips solo. Over 60K with no substantive issues. You appear to be planning it right. The advice is all great. Of note, if nothing has changed, you'll need to have a current insurance card, certifying you are covered for the period you will be Canada.
    If you're buying trinkets or treasures, don't pack em, have the stuff shipped. If they won't do it, you can either get it online when you get home or you don't need it.
    I don't worry water bottles or a bunch of contraptions. I stop when I need or want to and for example, take the GPS off the throw it in the trunk or frunk.
    And, take some kind of first aid kit.
    Most of all just enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tofriendscreek; 12-19-2016 at 03:43 PM.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ride alone most of the time..l bought sheep skin seat cover...works best for me...sun block...energy bars...fix a flat(with hose type)...small air compressor....ez pass is grt

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Great suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Do you have a Kradellock or other locking device for your GPS? It's good peace of mind when answering nature's call.

Personally Gatorade has too much sugar for me unless I'm exercising and sweating hard.

Get an Ilco X270 key blank, have it cut to match your Spyder key, bevel edges like in picture and keep in wallet. Stash your second Spyder key wherever you choose.

Ride safely, have fun!
    Thats a great suggestion. Do you know if that's a common key at most locksmith shops?
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Up to Newfoundland and back

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Where are you heading?
    Taking a couple weeks to tour around Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Call me spoiled

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARD II View Post
    I really try to be positive but... With a solo trip there's no need for a trailer. With the RT's storage you don't need a seat bag either. If you must play golf, rent some clubs. I understand among golf nuts that's an obscene thought but on a tour, less is more.
    Ive gotten spoiled in having a trailer and being able to have the extras with me on trips is kind of nice
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget the Labatts and cheese and sausage!
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah, like that would happen

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    Don't forget the Labatts and cheese and sausage!
    Another reason to have a trailer, if not the best reason?
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Brent!
    I have a question: Will the Enhanced New York Driver's License be sufficient to get you into (and out of...) Canada?
    Or do you need a Passport now?
    (Okay: TWO questions! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Brent:

Post on this site (when you can) to let us know where you are. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BUS ARE US

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    DOWN-LOAD THE 'GLIMPSE' APP, OR SIMILAR APP, WAZE, etc... ALSO HAVE SOME OF YOUR FAMILY DO THE SAME, THIS WAY YOU CAN CONNECT WITH THEM EACH DAY, AND THEY CAN FOLLOW YOUR PROGRESS...
    BUY A 'WET-VEST'... IN HOT WEATHER (and you will be in some), A BOTTLE OF WATER JUST ISN'T ENOUGH, (however, always have water with you, even hot water is better than no water)... CYCLE GEAR HAS THEM, AND THEY ARE ON SALE RIGHT NOW... DON'T FORGET YOUR RAIN-GEAR...
    OUT WEST, (if that's where you are going), RIDE BY THE 'HALF-TANK RULE', WHEN YOU SEE THAT YOUR GAS TANK IS HALF WAY, LOOK FOR A GAS STATION... YOU'LL UNDERSTAND WHY ONCE YOU'RE OUT THERE...
    SUN-BLOCK, LOT'S OF IT... SUN GLASSES, REGARDLESS IF YOUR HELMET IS FITTED WITH A 'DROP-DOWN SCREEN'... CHAP-STIK, BUG SPRAY...
    SINCE YOU'LL BE PULLING A TRAILER, BASICALLY YOU HAVE NO RESTRICTIONS ON AMOUNT OF CLOTHING... BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND FOOT-WEAR: RIDING BOOTS, SNEAKERS & SLIPPERS...
    A SMALL BOTTLE OF WINDSHIELD CLEARER & A MICRO-CLOTH TO CLEAN YOUR WINDSHIELD...
    SEE YOU ON THE ROAD, ENJOY & RIDE SAFELY....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R
    Use a wetted bounce sheet to clean those bugs off, then a SOFT lint free clothe

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Brent!
    I have a question: Will the Enhanced New York Driver's License be sufficient to get you into (and out of...) Canada?
    Or do you need a Passport now?
    (Okay: TWO questions! )
    Bob, I don't know if the enhanced license would be enough? I already had my passport and I know that will work......
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Possible purchase before my trip

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Brent:

Post on this site (when you can) to let us know where you are. Deanna
    Well, if my plans work out I'm hoping to pickup a GoPro prior to my trip so I can get some cool scenic shots to share!
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    .... and for example, take the GPS off the throw it in the trunk or frunk.....

Lots of other good info in there, but this one really astounds me!! I leave my GPS on ALL the time, & sometimes I even look at it!! They are particularly handy things to have running, especially if you are travelling any further away from home than the local shops! Orright, I might be climbing up onto my soapbox just a little here, but I feel that having one & NOT running it really does warrant some discussion!!

OK, I've got one, I leave it running all the time, altho I don't spend a heap of time watching it. When I do look at it, I can find a vast array of potentially helpful info. It gives me traffic alerts, tells me the time; displays the speed limit for this bit of road & shows my actual speed very accurately; shows me the name of the next street, the next Hwy, or the next road; it can show me how far it is to the next town; it will display eateries or accommodation; it monitors my fuel usage & tells me how far I can go before I need to start looking for fuel next, & then it'll show me all the nearby fuel outlets; it tracks where I've been & maintains a record that I can download later; I can mark any places that I want to come back to & explore more fully later on; and there's a heap more useful things that it can do & info it can provide for you to use & benefit from IF YOU WANT to make use of it!! It can even tell me exactly where I am at pretty much any given moment so that if I come across an accident or something else requiring the authorities or others to be notified, I can give them precise details, potentially providing life saving info that you may not be able to do in a timely manner if your GPS is in the trunk!!

Besides, AFAIK, there's no compulsion circuit built in to ANY GPS on the market (yet?!) and if I've created & stored a route to follow, I still don't HAVE to use it; besides, even if I've got a stored route running, there's nothing that forces me to follow it or the directions it provides if I don't feel like it!! I can even Mute the turn directions on the 660 & my latest truck unit even allows me to time-out the display, so it just sits there waiting for a touch before showing me anything! That aside, if I am running a route, this Garmin 660 GPS thing is smart!! It can tell me how far to the next turn, how far to my destination, what time I expect to arrive at the next waypoint or when I am likely to reach my final destination, & all sorts of other potentially helpful stuff too; AND yet the moment I turn away from the route I initially programmed it immediately works out an alternative route that'll get me back on track or to each of the places along the way I've set up as 'must see' waypoints - IF I choose to follow the directions!

All up, these GPS's are really helpful tools to have running on your Spyder (or any vehicle) any or all of the time - they don't use more fuel or force you to do anything; they just sit there holding all this fantastic info & advice, just waiting & hoping for the moment you decide that you want to take advantage of it; but there's nothing forcing you to use any or all of it!! The important thing is that if you don't have your GPS turned on, you won't be able to avail yourself of any of that info, advice, or even help without mucking around a bit!! One thing that I find particularly handy when I'm out there just stooging along is that even if I'm taking turns at random I can quickly zoom in or out & see at a glance if this road that looks interesting goes thru to anywhere, if it's a dead end, or if it turns to dirt 200 yards over that first rise....

To me, if you've got a GPS on your Spyder that's running, even if you aren't using it for anything right now, you are far better off than if it's sitting in the trunk! It's there at a glance & maybe a few button presses IF you want or need it, & while Not having it on & running might not be quite the same safety issue, it still strikes me as being very similar to deciding that you don't want to be bothered slowing down any so you might as well cut off the brake pedal & throw it in the trunk!! Do you ryde with your eyes glued to all the other dials & gauges all the time?? Or do you just glance at them every so often & use the info they provide as & when it conveys valuable advice or you want to know what they are telling you?? Just like them, a GPS is a tool that can be very helpful IF it's turned on & running; & just like them, it can be a significant loss to you (& potentially others as well) IF you decide to just throw it in the trunk - but I guess it is really your choice, just like it's your choice to cut off your nose to spite your face?!? But given all that, why on earth wouldn't you just leave your GPS on & running all the time, even if you choose not to use the info it conveys all that often?!? Surely all this stuff could be handy to have at a glance/touch of a button, & surely that applies ESPECIALLY if you are travelling anywhere further than the local shops like the OP is planning?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Lots of other good info in there, but this one really astounds me!!
    I think he was implying to put it there at a stop so it doesn't get stolen
    Last edited by armyspydervet; 12-19-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Spydercodes on your phone
    I've never been to Alaska or Hawaii on a motorcycle, but the rest of the country has been covered. If you find yourself riding through Michigan, you might consider taking US27 north and for an opportunity to ride over the Mackinac Bridge. Five miles in length, still the longest suspension bridge in the US. Once you're across the bridge, you can continue north to Canada, or west to Wisconsin. Also in that area is Mackinac Island, accessible by ferry, and The Grand Hotel. A really nice place to stay, but not inexpensive. On your way back, should you be riding through Wisconsin headed back to Michigan, you might consider taking the auto ferry across Lake Michigan. You might also consider acquiring the Sena 10C, which would enable to record your ride, and download it as a motovlog to You Tube. I think some other riders might enjoy viewing some of the highlights of your trip.

WilderThomas
    US Navy, 3/6/1976-30/6/1996.

Spyder Garage

This is what I cobbled together for my hydration "system"

Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth BPA-Free Water Bottle

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Convertube - Water Bottle Adaptor

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/bottles...YGdBoCQMrw_wcB

Zefal Fiberglass Bottle Cage

LAMONSTER SPYDER CUFF
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/spyder-cuff/

Reflective Roll Insulation

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-3...5-ft-L/1014123

I put all of the above together with the exception of the cup holder from the spyder cuff....I used the Zefal Fiberglass cage instead. I wrapped the Naglene with the roll insulation and secured it with the every popular duct tape. The fiberglass cage will stretch to accept the 32 oz Naglene bottle. Does pretty well....

If you have a full face helmet, the chin piece may interfere with you using the bite block on the water tube.

I always keep the lid to the Naglene loose so I can "blow the water" back into the bottle so I always have cold water. I have not tried insulating the water tube yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I typically try to stop each half tank to stretch and fill up. Good idea on keeping hydrated, I always keep a soft sided cooler of Gatorade in my side compartment and fill up my handlebar mount bottle at stops. I did notice that the plastic bottle warms up pretty quick once out of the cooler, anyone know of a good handlebar mounted option, like a yeti, that they have found keeps their drinks cold?
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Regarding post #68, I evidently wasn't clear. My comment to throw it in the frunk or truck was supposed to be an easy way to keep it from being stolen at a gas or other stop rather than having to buy a bunch of stuff to "protect" it on the Spyder. And having traveled a lot, solo, I do leave it in the trunk or frunk from time to time. Part of my thrill comes from simply wandering.
    I just don't see the value in buying water bottles, brackets and stuff. Simple is best for me. It's also cheaper.

2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default That's kind of what I thought

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    Regarding post #68, I evidently wasn't clear. My comment to throw it in the frunk or truck was supposed to be an easy way to keep it from being stolen at a gas or other stop rather than having to buy a bunch of stuff to "protect" it on the Spyder. And having traveled a lot, solo, I do leave it in the trunk or frunk from time to time. Part of my thrill comes from simply wandering.
    I just don't see the value in buying water bottles, brackets and stuff. Simple is best for me. It's also cheaper.

I was thinking that's what you meant. And seeing that I use my iPhone as my gps, I typically do just that and pop it out of the xgrip and swap it for my wallet in the frunk at a stop.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Swindle View Post
    This is what I cobbled together for my hydration "system"

Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth BPA-Free Water Bottle

Convertube - Water Bottle Adaptor

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/bottles...YGdBoCQMrw_wcB

Zefal Fiberglass Bottle Cage

LAMONSTER SPYDER CUFF
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/spyder-cuff/

Reflective Roll Insulation

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-3...5-ft-L/1014123

I put all of the above together with the exception of the cup holder from the spyder cuff....I used the Zefal Fiberglass cage instead. I wrapped the Naglene with the roll insulation and secured it with the every popular duct tape. The fiberglass cage will stretch to accept the 32 oz Naglene bottle. Does pretty well....

If you have a full face helmet, the chin piece may interfere with you using the bite block on the water tube.

I always keep the lid to the Naglene loose so I can "blow the water" back into the bottle so I always have cold water. I have not tried insulating the water tube yet.
    Johnny, that is quite an elaborate setup you have built!
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Packing for a trip

One of the things that I learned when riding on 2 wheels (regardless of the amount of storage on the bike) was to take older clothes. The rationale was that you could wear t-shirts (for example) for the day, use them the next morning to wipe the bike down and then throw them away. If you are on a trip to somewhere that you have never been before, you can pick up whatever items that interest you and have space to carry them on your return trip. An alternative would be to stop at laundromats along the way and waste time that could be better used to see something of interest or to get further down the road.
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Johnny, that is quite an elaborate setup you have built![emoji106]
    It just sounds elaborate....once you assemble it, it is very simple and easy to maintain.

Sent from my SM-G935V
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default Must haves for me

Road Side Service from either AAA or Good Sam (there maybe others comparable that I'm not aware of) and ad the App to your phone: Spydercodes..
    Happy Planning and travels. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year OK see others have mentioned Spydercodes. Yep a must have. I carry 2 20 oz. thermos cups on handlebars in Diamond cupholders...I have "created" a straw system that I can drink as I ryde...just life face shield a little...drink to your heart's content...ahhhhh
    Don't use a GPS (actually dislike them...just got rid of my last one)..iphone does everything I need. Plus I have Butler maps and maps for areas that Butler hasn't created.
    Absolutely recommend the SPOT tracker...does not use data (yes there is an annual fee)...but you always have a connection...if you break down where there is no visible help, no cell service SPOT has SOS feature...and the first responders can find you. Also I wear a Road ID...for my personal information...
    And yes, like Ann said, I carry way to much in my 622 BUT if you need something..I have it and can help you out. Plus I have means to survive if I break down and need to "survive" for a few days. AND never ever forget the Toilet Paper...
    Yep 95% of my travel is solo. Going into Canada..check that your credit card does not charge you a foreign transaction fee..just thought of one. Make sure you have a tire/lug nut wrench that fits both your Spyder wheels and trailer wheels (diff sizes)..my original star wrench did not meet that qualification, ask me how I know!!!...my current does..
    Last edited by murphybrown; 12-20-2016 at 09:29 AM.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5