Thread: Info for DIY

Spyder Garage

Default Info for DIY

I've had my RT at the dealer more than a week now, attending to the shifter problem and a few other minor items. They should have been done by now but they told me while replacing the switch they broke a wire leading to the left hand grip heater, so they had to order a part (I'm not impressed!).

For me this is the first time ever I've taken one of my bikes to a dealer, I only trust the doncanfix2 service department, but since this is under warranty... . In following up on "what, you broke a wire, which one?... etc.", I endevour to identify the all details for future reference. Hence, I go to the Can Am parts webpage to look up diagrams and part numbers. Are there any better references to repairing our bikes? I'm thinking I'd luv to buy a Shop Manual, but print material (w.r.t. cars, i.e. Helm) has all gone on-line. So how do we maintain our Spyders w/o going to a shop? Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated (I'll certainly also pursue spyderlovers!)
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 12-06-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    2018 RT Limited , OXFORD BLUE METALLIC Dark Edition

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by doncanfix2 View Post
    I've had my RT at the dealer more than a week now, attending to the shifter problem and a few other minor items. They should have been done by now but they told me while replacing the switch they broke a wire leading to the left hand grip heater, so they had to order a part (I'm not impressed!).

For me this is the first time ever I've taken one of my bikes to a dealer, I only trust the doncanfix2 service department, but since this is under warranty... . In following up on "what, you broke a wire, which one?... etc.", I endevour to identify the all details for future reference. Hence, I go to the Can Am parts webpage to look up diagrams and part numbers. Are there any better references to repairing our bikes? I'm thinking I'd luv to buy a Shop Manual, but print material (w.r.t. cars, i.e. Helm) has all gone on-line. So how do we maintain our Spyders w/o going to a shop? Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated (I'll certainly also pursue spyderlovers!)
    I feel your pain …. Lots of folks here don't go to any dealer for maintenance ( me included ) …. there are some very smart folks on this forum and given accurate info on any given problem …. most things can be re-paired DIY …. Of course if the issue will be solved under Warranty, that is how most people deal with it. Getting things done thru a dealer can be problematic for many reasons ….. a printed shop manual will be pretty $$$ …. and there may not be a printed copy ….. good luck … Mike

Spyder Garage

Purchase an online manual of your choice. If something goes wrong you may have to hunt for the topic because some online manuals don't have an index, mine doesn't. Print out the pages needed to make the necessary repair(s) or keep it on a laptop or tablet you can have in the garage while working. For those repairs requiring a deep B.U.D.S. dive you have two choices, engage a dealership or pop for your personal copy of the software.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can find repair manuals on line in different places like e-bay; I have seen hard copies and CD copies there. If you want to do in-depth repairs on your Spyder you will need to use a B.U.D.S system. BUDS is like a code reader but it can do more things. To buy one of them look on amazon; they are not cheap and have an annual software license you have to renew. But you can get a lot done with just the repair manual and SpyderLovers Forum. As long as you have the warrantee just go with that for now. I hope you get your ride back soon.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 12-06-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

PDF Shop manual on a 8 to 10 inch tablet PC works just as well as a printed manual and it can be mounted where you can see it as you do the work. Use a stylus to move the display and you get the greasy fingerprints on the stylus instead of the screen.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I bought the online manual for my 2018 RTL, but found the 2019 manual had so much more info in it that I went ahead and got that one also. No BRP manual is complete, but there are several sellers online that can be found. Fellow at bestshopmanuals treated me right, his is marked green manuals.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I bought the green manual for my 2012. It has served me well so far.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze