Spyder Garage

Default 600 vs 900 newbie

Hey guys, looking at getting a ryker. Dealer only has 900 that a test drove around the lot. They can bring a 600 from another location for me if I want that one. I was set on the 600 until I told them I want the 2 person seat for a passenger and they said to go for the 900 engine if I'm going to be carrying another person. Is this something that should push me into getting the 900 instead? I'm having a hard time finding comparisons between the 2 for 2-person riding.

Spyder Garage

I don't have a Ryker but I do like them.If I ever sold my RT I would consider one.If you are doing 2 up riding go with the 900 it's nice to have the extra power.I would consider the 600 is a solo bike.What ever you decide enjoy.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Definitely get the 900 for 2 up. I'm picking up my 900 Rally today. I never considered the 600. But, I have been riding since 1976 and I wanted the extra 32 HP or what ever it is.You will need the 2 up shock spring if you don't get the Rally. The Base 600 and 900 have really soft suspension. However, that's my opinion.

Spyder Garage

I went with the 900 not because of engine size but because of abs brakes. If I am correct and you might want to double check the 600 does not have vss and abs brakes. At least that was in the specs when I bought mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    I went with the 900 not because of engine size but because of abs brakes. If I am correct and you might want to double check the 600 does not have vss and abs brakes. At least that was in the specs when I bought mine.
    The 600 does have vss and abs brakes. What it does not have is the ECO mode or Sport mode that the 900 has. Also does not have Rally mode that the 900 Rally has.

Spyder Garage

I got the 900 so I could ride 2 up. I know some people said they've done 2 up on the 600, but at least where I live it's pretty hilly and I'd expect the 600 to struggle. The Ryker with 2 adults is going to weigh about 1000 pounds--which is a lot for a 600 engine to move around.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I understand the concern and want for the 900 due to 2-up, but the 600 handles it well. I have traveled up a 175 ft bridge several times with my wife on the back without any trouble at all. Haven't noticed any slow-down at all, and as a matter of fact, I have been able to accelerate uphill!

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue