Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default simple test to feel low end power loss

Quote Originally Posted by Davewho View Post
    I just installed the rls cat delete system. Without any actual reading to show anyone. I didn't notice any notiable difference in low end performance. This is with just out of the box with no baffles installed. Exhaust has a little rumble with stock exhaust muffler at idle. I did notice the engine running cooler but then again its 30 to 50 degree depending on the time of day. The carpartment in front of the driver seat barely gets warm at all. Removing and then istalling the springs is not something I would want to everyday, but it wasn't that bad either. Install the cat delete let the thing idle for about 15 to 20 mins shut it off and restart and the computer will adjust for the change. After reading all the other comments I wasn't sure about doing this but now I'm sure glad I did it.
    Anyone who wants a simple test to feel if your Spyder is suffering down low from a Cat delete is this.
    From a slightly slow rolling speed hold the throttle FULLY open. Usually there will be a bogging or hesitation until about 4,200 rpm.
    Stock our Spyders are very good through this rpm range. The riders reporting this hesitation or bogging feel are the more aggressive riders who use more throttle to get their Spyder moving.
    The hesitation is not a big deal for most riders as they adjust their throttle usage to it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Anyone who wants a simple test to feel if your Spyder is suffering down low from a Cat delete is this.
    From a slightly slow rolling speed hold the throttle FULLY open. Usually there will be a bogging or hesitation until about 4,200 rpm.
    Stock our Spyders are very good through this rpm range. The riders reporting this hesitation or bogging feel are the more aggressive riders who use more throttle to get their Spyder moving.
    The hesitation is not a big deal for most riders as they adjust their throttle usage to it.
    With the remap..the bogging is pretty well eliminated because you're getting a 100% throttle and not 70% which is stock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Dennis, can we have you more clearly or simply clarify with added details.

As I read your post / test, essentially you are accomplishing a throttle roll on test for accelleration.

You indicated from a slow rolling speed, open and hold the throttle wide open.

Seems ideally, since this is a street test, not a dyno run, that the slowest reasonable speed in third gear could be best. With a manual gearbox, holding third is a non issue when going to WOT. I am not sure how the semi automatic will accept this.

Adding more, the slow rolling speed you mention, I assume you are wanting around 2000 to 2200 rpm as a starting point, with WOT pull past 4200 rpm. If this is your target rpm range, then yes, it is likely anything regarding engine torque / pull below 3000 rpm or less would likely benefit from backpressure.

As an early installer of the cat delete, after a few miles it bacame obviously apparent that the power delivery had changed. Stock, our RTS preferred to be short shifted at no more than 3500 rpm. With the bypass installed short shifting is no longer best. The engine revs more freely and now comfortably prefers shifts in the 4200 to 4500 range. Saying that, the engine is making more power and torque at the higher rpm and pulls stronger. Seems the key is how the bike is ridden. Other than parking lots or the driveway, maybe our neighborhood streets, the rpm is never below 2500 revs. On the typicall streets, outside the neighborhood, almost always, the rpm is utilized between 3200 and 4500. No doubt it may sometimes be lower, or even higher, but typically that range.

Next time out, I will try your roll on test. Yes, I expect it to bog and dog until it winds up a bit. But for comparison, if a bypassed RT semi auto is ridden in the sweet spot of rpm, there is better usable power and the torque pulls hard through the previous oem falling off the power rpm point.

This is based on a Lamonster bypass and oem muffler.