Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Questions on F3-S tranny

Just upgraded from a 13 ST-S SE5 to a 15 F3-S SE6. It has 2900 miles on it. Compared to the shifting on the ST-S, the F3 is smooth in the gear changes but you can hear a clank when the gear changes. RPM or acceleration changes when shifting result in the same sound. The oil level is correct and I just ordered a Lamonster oil change kit to see if fresh oil will help. Any suggestions?
    Also when I rolled backwards into the street this morning, I went to shift into 1st and it wouldn't. I put it in reverse and backed up but still wouldn't go in 1st. I pushed it into the garage, started it back up and it shifted into 1st without hesitation. I rode it for about 20 miles without issue. Anyone ever experience this?

THANKS,
    Beachbum

Spyder Garage

The only time it should clunk is from neutral to 1st or reverse. Otherwise very quiet trans. You may have a bad front sprocket. The splines wear out on some F3's all models. Check to see if there is red rust dust on front pulley around the nut.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I took the cover off and all there that's on there is a little black dust from the belt.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good start to change the oil and filters so you know what you have. After that shift at 3500 rpm without letting up. When shifting from R to N then 1st make sure you are not moving, foot on brake helps, I do that sometime, I try and shift while still moving back and it will not work. This is maybe what you are doing now just a review. Might have been just a one time thing. Good Luck I hope it get better for you.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beachbumPC View Post
    Also when I rolled backwards into the street this morning, I went to shift into 1st and it wouldn't. I put it in reverse and backed up but still wouldn't go in 1st. I pushed it into the garage, started it back up and it shifted into 1st without hesitation. I rode it for about 20 miles without issue. Anyone ever experience this?

THANKS,
    Beachbum
    Just remember, you have to have the brake pedal applied "enough" to trip the low pressure sensor to get the shift to complete. And if you are rolling backwards AT ALL while trying to go into 1st it won't happen (yes, you can be applying the brake enough to have the brake lights lit and still not have enough pressure to enable the shift). You have to be completely stopped with enough brake pedal pressure applied to get the forward gear to engage.... Every once in a awhile I have to "hold" the shifter paddle "a bit" to get 1st selected after being in Reverse...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies, that answers what happened to me this morning. I was rolling back and couldn't get it to shift to 1st. As for the clanking noise going 1-2,2-3 all the way to 6th gear, I've tried shifting anywhere from 3000 up to 6000 and same noise. I never roll off the throttle to upshift. On my ST-S, if I held the gears longer it shifted smooth and quiet., it doesn't make any difference with the F3.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies, that answers what happened to me this morning. I was rolling back and couldn't get it to shift to 1st. As for the clanking noise going 1-2,2-3 all the way to 6th gear, I've tried shifting anywhere from 3000 up to 6000 and same noise. I never roll off the throttle to upshift. On my ST-S, if I held the gears longer it shifted smooth and quiet., it doesn't make any difference with the F3.
    IMHO this isn't normal and I hope you a still have a warranty on this Spyder ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

No warranty on it, I bought from a private owner that was 77 years old so I don't think its been run too hard. Just hit 3K miles

Spyder Garage

I think the oil change is a good step and might take care of your issue. Do you even know if it's ever had a oil change?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes it had it done at 1700 miles at the dealer where it was purchased new.

Spyder Garage

Not sure how to measure the clunk, but mine does it a bit sometimes while shifting, specially under 3500rpm.

Still not the same loud clunk when going from neutral to 1st/reverse, but I do notice it.

Also it seem to work better going from neutral to 1st then reverse, instead of neutral straight to reverse (louder clunk), specially when the engine is not a temperature.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Not saying this is your problem as you indicated that you do not back off the throttle on upshifts. Several times owners posted the same or similar concerns. Even though they stated not backing off the throttle, they were ever so slightly. When they did another ride and focused on not closing the throttle, smoothness arrived.

I agree with the oil and filter change. Get known correct and good oil in the machine and that alone should help.

Spyder Garage

I did the oil change today, sort of. I stripped the head on the 6mm side so I have to get a new plug before I get it out. The torx side came out after some cursing. After changing the filter it took 4.5 quarts to refill what I drained out and it is dead center between the add and full marks. On the test ride, when I shifted from reverse to 1st it was smooth and quiet. When going up thru the gears I was shifting in the 3500-4000 rpm range with steady throttle. Each gear change was fast and smooth with just a noticeable click as it changed. Is this the normal operation of the SE6 or should I not be hearing the click when it shifts? My STS SE5 made no click at all upshifting.

Spyder Garage

Is this the normal operation of the SE6 or should I not be hearing the click when it shifts? My STS SE5 made no click at all upshifting.
    There will always be some noise associated with the shifts. There IS a "synchronized" rpm at which a gear will shift smoother and quieter without effort even WITHOUT a clutch... I rode all of my bikes this way for upshifting, up until the Spyder(SE6)... On mine this sweet spot seems to be 4k....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've tried every different rpm from 3-6000. If you know how a Harley clicks when its shifted, this sounds pretty much the same.

Spyder Garage

Yes it had it done at 1700 miles at the dealer where it was purchased new.
    A 2015 with virtually the original oil in it. With the problems you are describing, I would be a bit suspicious of the oil. Not that it might not be something else. But an oil change is a pretty cheap investment. I'd look into a good quality, full synthetic. The difference may surprise you. If nothing else, it would eliminate the possibility that your oil is not doing the job. And, you could, at the same time, send a sample in for analysis. That would really give you hard data to help ferret out any other potential problems.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-09-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I just changed the oil today with a kit from Lamonster. It shifts smooth just clicks every gear change

Spyder Garage

I just changed the oil today with a kit from Lamonster. It shifts smooth just clicks every gear change
    Awesome! How about that!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Its always shifted smooth, it the sound it is making when it shifts I am asking about. My ST-S w/ SE5 didn't click into gear like this, just smooth and no noise

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 F3-T and it clunks some from reverse to 1st, etc...Now when shifting up, I will sometimes get a slight click sound as it goes up from 1,2, etc..But that is it.

Spyder Garage

Its always shifted smooth, it the sound it is making when it shifts I am asking about. My ST-S w/ SE5 didn't click into gear like this, just smooth and no noise
    It might pay to try and ryde/listen to some other F3's of about the same era, or maybe to get their owners to ryde/listen to yours to see if it's making any different or more concerning noises..... F3's do tend to sound a fair bit louder/noisier in the engine/transmission noise departments than all the other Spyder models; there's a lot more of their engines & trans exposed instead of being hidden & silenced a bit behind all the tupperware & acoustic panels etc, so it might just be that you're hearing more of what's going on because of that exposure.....

Know any nearby ryders?? Or a local dealer who'd let you do a test ryde?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think the oil change helped some, I went on a 85 mile ride Saturday and about 3400 rpm I could make soundless shifts up into 2,3,4,5th. Higher rpm would result in the upshift click. I've ridden a 2016 that was new and it shifted quietly compared to mine.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

If you have a smart fone, set it to record a video or sounds and let us hear it. If you can hear it the fone should too,
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default noise issues

Remember the clutch - tranny systems are not identical for the STS vs. F-3 ….. as far as shifting under power - I have drag raced the V-twin ( STS ) and the SE-6 w/ 1330 engine ….. even shifting under full power, there was never any issues .... glad to hear it's better with fresh oil ...…. Mike

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Remember the clutch - tranny systems are not identical for the STS vs. F-3 ….. as far as shifting under power - I have drag raced the V-twin ( STS ) and the SE-6 w/ 1330 engine ….. even shifting under full power, there was never any issues .... glad to hear it's better with fresh oil ...…. Mike
    Um.... who won???
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey