Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Do these guys know something we don't?

Got a card wanting me to fill out a motorcycle survey so I did it. Here's a screen shot of one of the questions. Did their computer program screw up or is there a version of the RT out there we haven't been told about? Has me wondering! What about you?

Survey question.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Don't know, but I've always wanted to take off the rear top case of my RT! I wish it was a quick connect!
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I received that same survey by e-mail yesterday. I took the time to fill it out because I want the $500 gift card they going to select for the "winner."

A top case being "optional" seems to be the current trend. It was offered on some of the earlier F3's for an additional $2,000. GW's new version comes "less" top case--but it is an option.

I think that is the way the tourers are going these days. Saves about $2,000. I am starting to like the look of no top case. When I was thinking F3, no top case would have been just fine.

I don't do enough traveling anymore where I need frunk, saddlebags, and top case. At $2,000, I would not be buying one anyway. Just my .02.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-13-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I took the survey also.
    I Do not think it was Spyder specific. If you had entered ownership of another brand your questions would have been different.
    If a BMW R1200R you may be asked about entirely different "what ifs" or "would you's"
    I was one of the first 500 to respond and will be getting a $10 Visa gift card in 6 weeks or so (if they don't forget).
    Sorry akspyyderman, the $500 gift card will be headed to FL-they already have my address.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    I took the survey also.
    I Do not think it was Spyder specific. If you had entered ownership of another brand your questions would have been different.
    If a BMW R1200R you may be asked about entirely different "what ifs" or "would you's"
    I was one of the first 500 to respond and will be getting a $10 Visa gift card in 6 weeks or so (if they don't forget).
    Sorry akspyyderman, the $500 gift card will be headed to FL-they already have my address.
    RE: Spyder specific. Since I bought a Vulcan this year, the 2014 Spyder was considered a "secondary" bike. Many of the specific questions were directed towards my Vulcan. They did work in whether or not I would buy another Spyder.

I am thinking they were feeling around to see how many were still interested in the Spyder while trying to see how much "other" shopping has been done.

We will see about that gift card.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-13-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I haven't received a survey but according to the 2018 "build your own" web site the basic RT still comes with an integral, non-removable topcase. I think it's just another case of poor editing and/or proofreading.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    I took the survey also.
    Please create a separate post when you get that gift card. I want to believe there are legitimate surveys like this, but don't (I would not have taken it). I think there will be others besides me who will want to celebrate.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I kind of wonder if the survey might not have been commissioned by Honda. I really don't think it was ordered by BRP. It was a legitimate survey I would say. If it wasn't they wouldn't have mailed the card out First Class.

ak, did you get a lot of questions about a rear top case, whether you preferred fixed or detachable? What about holding the bike up? I got a few questions that involved answers about holding up a two wheeler.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A top case being "optional" seems to be the current trend. It was offered on some of the earlier F3's for an additional $2,000. GW's new version comes "less" top case--but it is an option.

I think that is the way the tourers are going these days. Saves about $2,000. I am starting to like the look of no top case. When I was thinking F3, no top case would have been just fine.

I don't do enough traveling anymore where I need frunk, saddlebags, and top case. At $2,000, I would not be buying one anyway. Just my .02.
    If that happens I think GIVI will come out with a bracket for a top case and steal market share.

Spyder Garage

Maybe somebody who visits other bike forums can ask and see if there were surveys sent to other brand owners?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the two wheeled side. "Baggers" seem to be in vogue now, saddlebags no topcase. Perhaps BRP is investigating interest in an RT bagger? Harley has had it for years, and now Honda GW and BMW tourers are mimicking it.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I kind of wonder if the survey might not have been commissioned by Honda. I really don't think it was ordered by BRP. It was a legitimate survey I would say. If it wasn't they wouldn't have mailed the card out First Class.

ak, did you get a lot of questions about a rear top case, whether you preferred fixed or detachable? What about holding the bike up? I got a few questions that involved answers about holding up a two wheeler.
    I received my survey by e'mail and answered accordingly.

There was a second "extra" section that went into the top case questions. I answered them. Definitely a legit survey. I am thinking BRP and not Honda behind it.

BRP's F3 has been toying around with the idea. If there is a new iteration RT coming from BRP, I am thinking it will also have an "optional" trunk like what is happing with F3. Honda is already on board with their new GW. I am happy with both my RT's. I just don't use or have need for the trunks anymore.

I have mentioned I don't like the F3 ergos. For me, a new RT would have to have some serious "redesign" since it has not changed much since 2010. Those that know me, know I have owned three RT's (2010, 2011, 2014) and still have two. It needs a bigger engine--as in GW 1800.

Yes, I know about the new 1330 engine, the paint colors, and some trim thingys. I got one of those--but have not seen anything worth trading off for.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-14-2018 at 05:34 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    On the two wheeled side. "Baggers" seem to be in vogue now, saddlebags no topcase. Perhaps BRP is investigating interest in an RT bagger? Harley has had it for years, and now Honda GW and BMW tourers are mimicking it.
    And may I add a big YUP to that?

2020 F3L , Magma Red