Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stogeylink View Post
    Well further update.....Talked to Tx Adventure service dept and they had been on the phone with BRP for about 4 hours AFTER replacing the DPS with the "New" part from BRP. Apparently it was a bad part and they are having another part overnighted. Disappointed that my bike is delayed but, it is what it is. I am desperately wanting wind therapy but I also want a trouble free bike so, I will wait. Hoping to have it back by the weekend but, being realistic about it as well. Would rather have it right than hurried and be a continual problem.

Will keep you updated

Gary/Stogeylink

7/3 Update—

So went to pick up my Spyder yesterday. Was excited as I hadn’t been in the saddle since before Memorial Day. Got about 5 miles from the shop and went into Limp mode so nurses it back to the dealer and they took it right back. They worked for another hour and then I had them ride it for at least 15 miles. The tech took it for 17.7 and was hitting Hiway speeds and above and then returned. Was satisfied and headed home. Was 20 miles away from the shop, same thing. “Check DPS” and “VSS Fault” and in Limp mode. At this point the shop is closed and I am in the middle of nowhere. Luckily my nephew is following me so we “limp” home, another 20 miles, at between 45-50 mph. However, bright spot, the tech, Tim, called me at home last night to make sure that everything was still good and that I was home. I explained what happened and that I am headed to SD on the 30th of the month and need to trust that the bike will make it. He is exasperated and says to bring it back and he is opening a case with BRP on the problem. So I am trailering it’s back today. Fingers crossed.

Spyder Garage

Forgot to ask. What they charge you? My bill was just under $1,700 for the DPS replacement. Tech said it was leaking fluids.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainScoundrel View Post
    Forgot to ask. What they charge you? My bill was just under $1,700 for the DPS replacement. Tech said it was leaking fluids.

Well, that's a new one on me?!? An ELECTRIC Dynamic Power Steering Unit leaking FLUIDS?!?

I've heard of 'leaking Green Steam'; 'letting all the electric smoke out'; and even seen PCB contaminated oils leaking outta blown transformers, but a DPS unit leaking fluids.....

Altho I guess maybe it's just possible there was a little bit of melted grease, but I really think that just mighta been the Tech pegging the BS meter waay over onto the stops well past the end of the scale!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2020 at 05:10 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Got a call yesterday from the shop. They had been dealing with BRP and they ended up changing the DPS and the magnet in the alignment sensor. I don’t pretend to know enough about the systems to explain them, but I will be learning. Long story short the parts manager rode my bike home last night and back this morning, 80+ miles round trip. He called this morning and it performed flawlessly. He wants to take it home and back one more time and I’m on board with that as I am getting ready for a trip to SD and don’t want to be stranded. Long story short if all goes well he will meet me at the shop on Monday and give me my bike back. WooHoo!! So, new DPS and over a month in the shop equals $2000. It’s like I’m addicted

Spyder Garage

Tech said it was leaking fluids.
    You better find a new tech ! I changed my DPS unit myself several months ago, there is no fluid supplied to that unit. Changing the unit itself is not that hard.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    You better find a new tech ! I changed my DPS unit myself several months ago, there is no fluid supplied to that unit. Changing the unit itself is not that hard.
    I had looked up the procedure and true, it isn't hard. Just a PIA taking your front end apart. Right now I"m living with a friend and not really set up to do mechanical work. If I was back in my house I would have done it.
    Don't think I"m taking it back to that shop for anything major.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stogeylink View Post
    7/3 Update—

So went to pick up my Spyder yesterday. Was excited as I hadn’t been in the saddle since before Memorial Day. Got about 5 miles from the shop and went into Limp mode so nurses it back to the dealer and they took it right back. They worked for another hour and then I had them ride it for at least 15 miles. The tech took it for 17.7 and was hitting Hiway speeds and above and then returned. Was satisfied and headed home. Was 20 miles away from the shop, same thing. “Check DPS” and “VSS Fault” and in Limp mode. At this point the shop is closed and I am in the middle of nowhere. Luckily my nephew is following me so we “limp” home, another 20 miles, at between 45-50 mph. However, bright spot, the tech, Tim, called me at home last night to make sure that everything was still good and that I was home. I explained what happened and that I am headed to SD on the 30th of the month and need to trust that the bike will make it. He is exasperated and says to bring it back and he is opening a case with BRP on the problem. So I am trailering it’s back today. Fingers crossed.
    11/25 Update - So I know its been a while since I updated but I have been in the wind since I got the bike back. I received a call from Tim and they finally found the source of the trouble. Apparently the steering position sensor was bad and since it was okay when I took it in, they replaced it with a known good one in the shop and tested it. Tim drove my bike home and back over the weekend and called me on Saturday to say it was ready but, he would prefer to take it home and back once more just to make sure. I agreed as this would put about 175 total miles on the bike after repairs and tell me if all was go. I told him I would pick it up on Tuesday since they were closed on Monday. He indicated that he was going to be working on Monday to clean up the shop area and would be happy to meet and turn it over. I readily agreed. Wife took me up and I rode it home another 60 miles. Left Waxahachie on Thursday 7/31 headed for Sturgis and a week of fun. Rolled back into Waxahachie on Sunday Aug 9th after 11 days and 3268 miles of riding and beautiful scenery. Not even a hiccup. Can't say enough good about TX Adventure on this. I was a bit disappointed at first but they rallied and came through when I needed them. They were a big part of my trip to South Dakota being successful. Just finished putting new rear tire and new brakes on the back. Got rid of the Kenda and put a Kuhmo Ecsta AST on and it looks and feels awesome on the road as well as some BajaRon brakes. Many thanks to this forum for all of the videos and threads about changing out both. Made all of the work seem effortless. Looking forward to many more Spyder myles.