Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Limited first service

2020 RT Limited first service completed yesterday at 3,212 miles, cost $477.82, took 3 hours while I waited on it.. Dealer is 86 miles from home. WOW !!!!!! I thought routine maintenance on My Harleys and BMW’s was expensive.... this beats both of them !!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

What is your dealership's hourly labor rate? That's the determining factor and varies by geographic location and dealership.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What Jay said but I still think that's a bit high. I'd say closer to $300 would be more like it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not to defend the cost but I would think that the 2020+ is going to cost more than any other Spyder for service. This model is really new in many ways. How many 2020s RTs has tech worked on - if every item in service checklist is actually done it should take hours (not just 1 hour).

I did all service on my 2015 F3-S from new to 2020. Knowing the bike made such effort mostly easy and enjoyable. Even in the beginning it wasn't bad.

On my 2020 RT I've only done a few MODs (no service yet), but from MODs alone I'm guessing that my service time will be twice that of my F3.

IMHO service, repair and MOD's - from easiest to hardest: Ryker - F3 - RT.

Interesting how the higher the initial cost of vehicle the longer it takes to service/repair/mod.

On the bright side your next service isn't until an additional 9,300 miles.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Not to defend the cost but I would think that the 2020+ is going to cost more than any other Spyder for service. This model is really new in many ways. How many 2020s RTs has tech worked on - if every item in service checklist is actually done it should take hours (not just 1 hour).
    I would think that service on a spyder would be like service on a car. What I mean by that is that they have a certain number of billing hours for a stated task. If it takes less time, you don't pay less, and if it takes more time, you should not pay more. The 2020 doesn't look any more complicated than the previous year model RT versions. But I do think that in excess of $400 is a bit high. Never paid over $300 for service on my RT, RSS, or F3T. They cost was always about the same, or within $50 of each other. We should not have to pay more because a shop has a slow tech.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Average experience on site is $300 - $350. Yours seems a tad on the high side. The "hourly" shop rate is sometimes a deciding factor. I went from $130 in AK to about $75 in AR.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

From my records in Jan, 2015 I paid $255.39 for the 3K service. Labor was 2 hr at $85/hr and parts were $79.99 and tax $5.40. BRP lists the 1330 engine oil change kit at about $105 now so the OP was paying over $120/hr for labor and sales tax.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
    2020 RT Limited first service completed yesterday at 3,212 miles, cost $477.82, took 3 hours while I waited on it.. Dealer is 86 miles from home. WOW !!!!!! I thought routine maintenance on My Harleys and BMW’s was expensive.... this beats both of them !!!!!!!!!
    Sounds like a good deal to me. If $120. of that amount was for parts and tax, that means labor was around $350, or less than $110 an hour for three hours of work. Labor rates around Atlanta are in the $180-$200 per hour range at better dealers who employ techs with the skills needed to work on these machines. Training ain’t cheap!
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Service cost, In Canada $$. In Canada service intervals in Kilometres.
    So far I have had my 5000 km and my 15000 km service done at same shop near me by a certified by BRP well trained
    and knowledgeable tech. Both services were 2 hour flat rate. I watched from service office via window and from time on lift to finished
    test drive by Tech was an hour and 45 minutes and he checked and torqued everything required plus adjusted my seat latch.
    Bill both times total was $385.00 CDN.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTL1330 View Post
    Bill both times total was $385.00 CDN.
    What's that in USD? About $18.22?

Spyder Garage

2020 RT Limited first service completed yesterday at 3,212 miles, cost $477.82, took 3 hours while I waited on it.. my oil on Dealer is 86 miles from home. WOW !!!!!! I thought routine maintenance on My Harleys and BMW’s was expensive.... this beats both of them !!!!!!!!!
    Takes me 30-40 minutes to change the oil on the 2020 RTL. All you have to do is pull the right pop off panel. Pull the back little PVC off of the master cylinder. Toss it. I twisted about 2 -19 gauge wires together with some electrical tape and slid them right in there to hold it on. I did get rid of those torqx and allen drain plugs. Went with the hex bolts. Oil change easy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    What is your dealership's hourly labor rate? That's the determining factor and varies by geographic location and dealership.
    Labor rate is $85.00 per hour.. The bike was in the shop 3 hours, they charged me 4 hours labor, $340.00, Parts $84.49,
    Shop supplies $20.00, tax $33.33 for the total of $477.82... I previously had a 2016 RT Limited, routine service was always $250 to $285. CanAm apparently increased the base billing hours on the 2020 ??

Spyder Garage

What shop in Ohio do you go to ???

Spyder Garage

I would be finding another shop or start doing my own work. These labor rates are getting out of hand especially when many times the work is being done by a $12-15 hr tech
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    What shop in Ohio do you go to ???
    ASK Powersports in Columbus...
    I see you are also an Ohio rider...what shop do you use ???

Spyder Garage

I have 4 shops with in 25 miles of me I have not decided yet. I real close to needing service so I need to make up my mined I will probably go back where I bought it. They really seem to be good people the shop is clean and the service dept will talk to you and you do not have to leave your spyder when you make a appointment that is when they work on your stuff you are NOT put in line to wait. Clinton county motorsports 937 283 2220. The other shop that was close did work on my wing had a great tech but he passed away just a couple of months ago big loss to that shop he been there for ever

Spyder Garage

Longtimer,
    I didn’t know Clinton County sold Spyder’s.... They are about 50 miles from me..would be a lot closer then riding the 86 miles east of Columbus, and a much nicer ride !!!!! I will check with them the next time I need service !!!!! Thanks for the info...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get use to the charges. Everything is going up and with Minimum wage around 15 bucks now days and everything else included. Prices are going up.
    The dealer charges whatever he can to pay the employees and overhead. BRP has nothing to do with dealer charges.

Plus you are paying full price on parts unless you can get them to get you a discount.

Now if you are getting a bill for around 300 bucks that sounds reasonable for todays rates.

Spyder Garage

Biker01red. Clinton county also does. Laser alignments the people in parts seems to know there stuff and the lady that works in acesserys department know her stuff.and will get you what you need so far they have been good also if you go there get on there reward program it is pretty good

Spyder Garage

Another vote for clinton county. Plus, they will mount car tires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wifesspyder View Post
    Another vote for clinton county. Plus, they will mount car tires
    Just remember people, it seems that if you publicise the name of a CanAm dealer who will fit 'non-Kenda' tires, it's often not very long before they either 'change their minds' about doing that or they stop being Spyder/Ryker dealers!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Longtimer - thanks again for the info, I will be giving them a try....