Spyder Garage

Default ECU Flash and warranty

My BRP dealer will preform a ECU flash, but he says it will void my warranty. I have a new bike with a total of 5 years warranty, including the BEST warranty.... I would like to have the flash done, but the warranty concerns me. anyone else with this problem.
    Last edited by Ramrover; 11-11-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking it may only void the warranty on anything directly relating to problems produced by the ECU flash. Everything else should be still be covered. Maybe someone who has already done this would know for sure.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    I'm thinking it may only void the warranty on anything directly relating to problems produced by the ECU flash. Everything else should be still be covered. Maybe someone who has already done this would know for sure.
    Magnessun laws or not, dealers and manufacturers do not want to give away parts or labor for free. If you detuned the engine vs increase performance, and the engine developed a hiccup that required warranty, suffice to say they would still avoid it as best as possible.

Last week, I had this same phone conversation with another owner. Either accomplish the mod and enjoy it, crossing fingers nothing happens or keep it absolutely stock, wondering what you are missing, or wait until the warranty expires and do it then.

My opinion though is these engines, gearboxes and clutches are able to safely handle the additional small increase in power. Yes there will be additional wear and more frequent parts replacements, but not often do we read or hear about 1330s wearing out.

On a side note, BRP / Can Am set the trend of how they have in the past dealt with serious issues. Some are fortunate to have issues resolved, but the heat problems, fires, DESS and more has set the trend regarding warranty.

Make the mod, flash the computer, ride the wheels off it, smile a lot and IF something happens, cross that bridge when you get there.

Spyder Garage

wiv wot 'e says!

And btw, you don't hafta get the ECU re-flashed to anything wildly beyond what BRP has proven for these engines can handle ALREADY when used in other platforms - in fact, you can improve things significantly while staying WELL within the existing 'known & proven safe/reliable in other platform' parameters, and still be a whole lot better & more powerful/enjoyable/smoother/more tractable than the de-rated state of tune BRP have chosen to release 'stock Spyders' with...

IMHO, an ECU re-flash that doesn't exceed the performance parameters BRP has released these engines with in other platforms is probably one of the best 'value for money' mods you can make to your Spyder; arguably an even better improvement than fitting a BajaRon Anti-sway bar & tossing the crappy Kenda tires in favour of some far better performing 'real' tires combined! Yes, I know it's hard to believe that an ECU re-flash could be that much better than either or both of those mods, they are sooo good; but seriously, it's one of the greatest things you can do to improve your outright enjoyment of your Spyder - I reckon it can make your Spyder the ryde it always shoulda been & the ryde you know that you really wanted when you bought the thing, even if you think what you got from the factory settings was pretty damn good to start with!! The re-flash can REALLY make it THAT MUCH BETTER!

Your choice tho, but I'd like to remind you that life is short, and beside, don't you deserve to enjoy your Spyder as much a re-flash will let you?! Go onnnn, Do It!! You know you really want to!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    My BRP dealer will preform a ECU flash, but he says it will void my warranty. I have a new bike with a total of 5 years warranty, including the BEST warranty.... I would like to have the flash done, but the warranty concerns me. anyone else with this problem.
    Curious as to what “flash” your dealer would provide? Does he sell other companies remaps or does he know what he is doing and can adjust the necessary parameters?

Spyder Garage

So far I have added a cat delete, sway bar, car tires, &belt tentioner. Is my warranty still good?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    So far I have added a cat delete, sway bar, car tires, &belt tentioner. Is my warranty still good?
    IMHO - of course you are .....Unlike our brothers & sisters & others (?) ….. we in the US are protected by the Moss Magnusson Act ( ie a law ). Detailed explanations of how this works has been posted dozens of times for the members on this site, so I'm not re-typing them ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

My warranty expires next May so I will wait until then to modify. Just because it is such a short time away. FWIW, my opinion is we have "detuned" vehicles to mitigate manufactures liability. Spyders are relatively new and can attract inexperienced riders. Keeping "John Q Public" safe from his own misdeeds is akin to renting scooters that are governed to the least experienced expected users. Can you imagine the backlash if our Spyders were set up for maximum performance and newbies, expecting a docile and stable 3 wheeler, found they were not an easy going ride but rather a rocket ship that required riding skills beyond their riding capabilities......? Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Depends what breaks and how much you will fight for your rights.

In my opinion, and my understanding may be incorrect, but Can Am and BRP have broken the laws and guidelines in regards to allowing non dealer service based on requiring BUDS for service work. Technically, like cars with a standard, they use OBD and is accepted as somewhat universal and available to all. BUDS is far from universal like OBD, and while available from a few suppliers, is technically not the Can Am version.

So, if you have a failure, technically they must prove it was caused by you using or doing something that caused the failure. Consider how many times we have read here of dealers not willing to accomplish repairs on issues we know about, such as DESS or drive pulleys. Can Am shields themselves by deferring calls to an authorized dealer. Overall, it is generally accepted that the majority of Can Am dealers see Spyders as a second tier item, and offer very poor support, few qualified techs, and long wait times for repairs.

This bring it around full circle, find a good dealer, and look no further.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    wiv wot 'e says!

And btw, you don't hafta get the ECU re-flashed to anything wildly beyond what BRP has proven for these engines can handle ALREADY when used in other platforms - in fact, you can improve things significantly while staying WELL within the existing 'known & proven safe/reliable in other platform' parameters, and still be a whole lot better & more powerful/enjoyable/smoother/more tractable than the de-rated state of tune BRP have chosen to release 'stock Spyders' with...

IMHO, an ECU re-flash that doesn't exceed the performance parameters BRP has released these engines with in other platforms is probably one of the best 'value for money' mods you can make to your Spyder; arguably an even better improvement than fitting a BajaRon Anti-sway bar & tossing the crappy Kenda tires in favour of some far better performing 'real' tires combined! Yes, I know it's hard to believe that an ECU re-flash could be that much better than either or both of those mods, they are sooo good; but seriously, it's one of the greatest things you can do to improve your outright enjoyment of your Spyder - I reckon it can make your Spyder the ryde it always shoulda been & the ryde you know that you really wanted when you bought the thing, even if you think what you got from the factory settings was pretty damn good to start with!! The re-flash can REALLY make it THAT MUCH BETTER!

Your choice tho, but I'd like to remind you that life is short, and beside, don't you deserve to enjoy your Spyder as much a re-flash will let you?! Go onnnn, Do It!! You know you really want to!
    Peter--U R guilty of using "common sense". As for a small % of the rest of us--we will never accept normal. Even the major auto mfg have jumped into more HP. Initially Mustang offered a supercharged 670 HP with a warranty. Now Lincoln has come out with the midsize Aviator SUV for 2020. High end package puts out 450 HP & 600 ft lbs of torque on the midsize SUV. It's gone crazy, hybrid assisted gasoline midsize SUV with diesel torque. After blowing 3 motorcycle engines I promised myself I won't modify my 2015 F3's. Well the ECU & Airbox lid are currently in Canada getting the Stage 2 upgrade. Evidently I have a very short attention span.
    Darrell
    PS: I've already had them do the Stage 1 ECU upgrade over 1 yr ago--it made a major difference after 3500 rpm. With windshield, saddlebags, & passenger backrest I had to shut it down at 118 mph due to traffic congestion. Maturity has been a very difficult acquisition.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Peter--U R guilty of using "common sense". As for a small % of the rest of us--we will never accept normal. Even the major auto mfg have jumped into more HP. Initially Mustang offered a supercharged 670 HP with a warranty. Now Lincoln has come out with the midsize Aviator SUV for 2020. High end package puts out 450 HP & 600 ft lbs of torque on the midsize SUV. It's gone crazy, hybrid assisted gasoline midsize SUV with diesel torque. After blowing 3 motorcycle engines I promised myself I won't modify my 2015 F3's. Well the ECU & Airbox lid are currently in Canada getting the Stage 2 upgrade. Evidently I have a very short attention span.
    Darrell
    PS: I've already had them do the Stage 1 ECU upgrade over 1 yr ago--it made a major difference after 3500 rpm. With windshield, saddlebags, & passenger backrest I had to shut it down at 118 mph due to traffic congestion. Maturity has been a very difficult acquisition.
    When you get your stage II completed.. please post what are the differences in performance between the Stage I and the Stage II re-map. right now I have the Stage I and considering doing the upgrade...The stage I showed a dramatic increase in performance. I want to see a review on the stage II.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Darrell
    I took out my ECU and airbox lid and sent it in to do the Stage II upgrade today. next friday we will see the differences.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    wiv wot 'e says!

BTW my 2016 F3-T has all 3 original OEM "crapy" Kenda tires with over 22K and still looking good.I ride hard some of the wildest AZ mountain twistiess in the country. Kenda tires you refer to must be chinese knock offs.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    BTW my 2016 F3-T has all 3 original OEM "crapy" Kenda tires with over 22K and still looking good.I ride hard some of the wildest AZ mountain twistiess in the country. Kenda tires you refer to must be chinese knock offs.
    Kenda tires ARE chinese knock offs. They try to emulate real tires.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame