Spyder Garage

Default Automatic windshield - can the 'auto-lower' on switch-off be disabled?

I sort of remember this being discussed before but I can’t find the thread so I’ll ask again. Is there a way to disable the function where the windshield goes down when the bike is turn off? This is on a 2020 RTL.

Thanks for any information you can give me!

Spyder Garage

I don't believe that can readily be done without disabling the entire 'raise/lower windshield' feature!

So unless you want to instal an a/mkt 'fixed windscreen' or maybe just alternative 'fixed' brackets or similar, you are probably stuck with it. But I am intrigued, why would you want to get rid of that particular feature?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well I just bought a 2020 RTL, and thought the same thing..... Why didn't Can-Am just leave the windshield where you use it. As to why... It seems pointless and adds to the whirling of thing going on when you shut it off/on, and adds that little bit of time with the whole process. Plus just more wear on something that could break.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    Well I just bought a 2020 RTL, and thought the same thing..... Why didn't Can-Am just leave the windshield where you use it. As to why... It seems pointless and adds to the whirling of thing going on when you shut it off/on, and adds that little bit of time with the whole process. Plus just more wear on something that could break.
    My 14 RT windshield doesn't move ....unless I use the switch to do it ...... sounds like BRP added something that wasn't desired ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

There are times when I would like to leave it up so I could clean under it better. Also, like Jcummins said, it just puts more wear on something that could break...

Spyder Garage

I note in both the 2020 and 2021 operator's guides there is no mention in the Switch Cluster section about the automatic lowering function, just "press here to raise" and "press here to lower." Have you considered pressing the "raise" portion of the switch when turning off the engine with the ignition key? If you turn off the engine with the Kill Switch does the windshield automatically go down? My engine must be running before the switch will work.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I note in both the 2020 and 2021 operator's guides there is no mention in the Switch Cluster section about the automatic lowering function, just "press here to raise" and "press here to lower." Have you considered pressing the "raise" portion of the switch when turning off the engine with the ignition key? If you turn off the engine with the Kill Switch does the windshield automatically go down? My engine must be running before the switch will work.
    I’ll try that!

Spyder Garage

When you turn your key back on, dose it pop back up to your last setting?? It sounds to me like there's a relay or some thing in that circuit that hold everything at bay then when the powers shut down it goes to a rest position when shut down! There are some clever guy's on this site that could probably come up with a fix to this issue!! COME ON GUY'S you can do it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I remember seeing a video that indicated a way to cancel the automatic movement so that the windshield stayed in place at the last setting.
    I can't find it now. It was something like long pressing the windshield button, but I'm not sure.
    Unfortunately, I can't find any reference in the owners manual, and I can't find the video.
    I'll keep looking.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

AHHHHH.....FOUND IT.

Check out this video. Fortunately, the discussion of the windshield is in the beginning from about 23 seconds to 50 seconds.

The demonstrator says hold the windshield switch in for 3 seconds and the windshield locks in place.

IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    AHHHHH.....FOUND IT.

Check out this video. Fortunately, the discussion of the windshield is in the beginning from about 23 seconds to 50 seconds.

The demonstrator says hold the windshield switch in for 3 seconds and the windshield locks in place.

Tried to make this work.... Can't maybe I'm doing some wrong
    ., but long press just rises or lowers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My 14 RT windshield doesn't move ....unless I use the switch to do it ...... sounds like BRP added something that wasn't desired ..... Mike
    My 2014 RTL stays right where I left is also

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    When you turn your key back on, dose it pop back up to your last setting?? It sounds to me like there's a relay or some thing in that circuit that hold everything at bay then when the powers shut down it goes to a rest position when shut down! There are some clever guy's on this site that could probably come up with a fix to this issue!! COME ON GUY'S you can do it!!
    Yes, it does go back up to the last position when the bike is turned on...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    Tried to make this work.... Can't maybe I'm doing some wrong
    ., but long press just rises or lowers.
    l

IMHO u are not doing anything wrong - What he says in video makes no sense.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

The video is based on a demonstration pre-production model.
    You know, it's wholly possible that this feature was eliminated in the production models.
    I haven't tried it myself, but it makes sense that there is some way to raise the windshield and keep it there.
    That would make servicing the windshield or the support much easier.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

It sounds like, from what i heard, you can lock it full up or down by holding the button pressed for 3 seconds, probably after it has already reached full up or down. Doubt you can lock it in any other position.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I found out how to do it.
    While the bike is running, set the windshield to the height you want it to stay at.
    Turn the ignition off.
    There is a short window, maybe a second or two before the windshield starts to retract.
    During that time, hold the windshield button and that will stop the movement, locking it in at the last position set.
    There's a caveat. This only seems to work for ONE cycle of the key.
    Next time you turn the ignition key, the regular cycling of the windshield resumes.
    At the moment, I don't see any benefit to this, except to raise the shield to the maximum and leave it there for some kind of maintenance.
    IBA #47122

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can see two benefits to being able to keep the windscreen all the way up after you shut the bike down. First, it would make it easier to clean. Second, it would make it easier to swap windscreens. It's difficult to get to the bolts that hold the trim on with the windscreen all the way down.

I get why BuRP added this feature. If you're covering your ride, there's less chance of damage to the windscreen or other misc parts if it's all the way down.

Spyder Garage

I wonder if this is something that can be accessed (and changed) by BUDS? I do know from working on 1990's VW equipment that their diag software had the capability to change default settings (like turning off DRLs, disabling the "lower windows with key in door" function, etc).

If you have another ryder with BUDS in your area, may be worth a look....a dealer would be all too happy to charge you for the same thing.