Spyder Garage

Default Well I finially did it

I bought a billet gas door to put in my seat 2 years ago but could never bring myself to actually mount it in the seat. My wife doesn't ride with me that often so it wasn't a big deal. Yesterday I was looking for something and I came across that door and said to myself its time to put that door in. Still the hardest part was drilling that first hole in my seat. After that I had to finish. I painted the door brown to match my seat so I had to wait for that to finish drying. I got it in and it looks pretty good. I need to get some contact cement to glue down the upholstery. After I do I will take a picture and post it. Thanks to those who posted their method of mounting their gas doors. I used Mike's idea of running the hole saw backwards to cut my hole. If I were ever to do another one I think I would get a bigger saw maybe 4". I used a 2.5" and then ground the rest out, but that is too messy for me. I also liked the idea of using 2 long screws to hold the door in place while doing the modifications. That really helped. So if you have a project for our Spyder that you have been putting off talk to the experts here and get it done.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome...!!

Now we wait.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yup! It takes some time to work up to some jobs. I have a hand held shower to install since we bought the new home. I don't like working with water. It always leaks when i get done.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I bought a billet gas door to put in my seat 2 years ago but could never bring myself to actually mount it in the seat. My wife doesn't ride with me that often so it wasn't a big deal. Yesterday I was looking for something and I came across that door and said to myself its time to put that door in. Still the hardest part was drilling that first hole in my seat. After that I had to finish. I painted the door brown to match my seat so I had to wait for that to finish drying. I got it in and it looks pretty good. I need to get some contact cement to glue down the upholstery. After I do I will take a picture and post it. Thanks to those who posted their method of mounting their gas doors. I used Mike's idea of running the hole saw backwards to cut my hole. If I were ever to do another one I think I would get a bigger saw maybe 4". I used a 2.5" and then ground the rest out, but that is too messy for me. I also liked the idea of using 2 long screws to hold the door in place while doing the modifications. That really helped. So if you have a project for our Spyder that you have been putting off talk to the experts here and get it done.
    and Thanks for the shout out ……… Did you actually DRILL the seat material - if so you were very lucky the bit didn't grab a nylon thread , because drill bits aren't sharp enough to cut them …. so they just pull the material with bad results …. and those two long bolts does do a good job of holding things in place for any other work …… Glad you tried this Mod ….. waiting for pics ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

You'll appreciate having that fuel door EVERY time you fill up.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yup! It takes some time to work up to some jobs. I have a hand held shower to install since we bought the new home. I don't like working with water. It always leaks when i get done.
    Teflon tape saves the day for me. Just be sure you are winding it on in the right (clockwise) direction. Don't ask me how I learned that.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome