Spyder Garage

Default Found Torn up foam under Spyder - where's the rodent?

Backed out of the garage this morning for a ride after the roads cleared from snow. I noticed a good sized pile of black foam fragments under the Spyder, sort of under the engine. Is there anywhere that a mouse or rat could tear off pieces of foam for bedding? I put a game camera out last night. Scores of pictures of a small mouse running aboutl But no sign of him jumping into the Spyder or showing intrerst in the foam.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-22-2022 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wherever there's one mouse there's bound to be more, sooner or later. Time to put out the mouse traps. I keep one of these loaded and ready to go next to my spyder year round. Dam, they've gone up in price, but they work great.
    https://www.victorpest.com/rat-zappe...-trap-rzc001-4

Spyder Garage

There's lotsa places under the tupperware where a mouse could find something to chew &/or tear up; and if you've found indications that's occurred on the ground, it really sounds like it's time to remove at least some of the tupperware & have a good look for potential damage. You really don't want to discover that the mouse has also chewed thru some wiring or a fuel line or something while you're out riding somewhere!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

To answer your question, yes, there is black foam used as sound deadener on the inside of some of your body panels. This foam degrades over time, but I believe you are seeing rodent damage. I would pull most of the body panels off and see where this foam has been scraped/chewed off. You will probably find a mouse nest in there.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. Setting some traps. Also have to look up how to remove the various panels.
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drgw222 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Setting some traps. Also have to look up how to remove the various panels.
    Lay down a paper towel and use a felt tip pen to mark out what panel the screws come from. After you've done it a few times you won't have to mark them anymore. The first couple of times it's kinda like a puzzle. The one chrome screw head in the side panel is not a screw. Good luck...........

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default U tube videos

...There are several good U Tube Videos on removing the plastic covers. It is a good choice to watch before hand. Hopefully you will be able to find that nest.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Egg crate method

Get an old egg crate, put a number in each egg holder and put the parts you take off, logically grouped, in each space. Write down the number and what you put in it on a pad. You'll never lose a part and never end up with extras
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

i am taking the side panels off the left side. The attachments seem a little different from the videos I saw. perhaps did not pick the right ones. Anyway, I got the side covers off and having a bit of a mystery. The parts fiche I was viewing shows 2 large foam pieces for the upper and lower side panels. I do not see any evidence of any foam ever being there. Maybe this is for a RT-limited?
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles

Spyder Garage

This part has basically all the form stripped off. Same color and texture as the pieces under the Spyder. There is some sort of circular access plug under the part. The parts fiche shows an access panel that probably can be taken off the part to reach the plug. Mine is just a solid piece.

IMG_7838_1.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drwerner View Post
    Get an old egg crate, put a number in each egg holder and put the parts you take off, logically grouped, in each space. Write down the number and what you put in it on a pad. You'll never lose a part and never end up with extras
    Need more info on the egg cartons
    Recycled paper, plastic or foam?
    12, 18 or 24 egg size?
    Which source has the best price?
    Do you recommend getting the extended warranty?
    Which model and year Spyder does it fit?

TIA

2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Need more info on the egg cartons
    Recycled paper, plastic or foam?
    12, 18 or 24 egg size?
    Which source has the best price?
    Do you recommend getting the extended warranty?
    Which model and year Spyder does it fit?

TIA
    I'd recommend at least the 18 sized carton. There's more than just screws to keep track of. Sockets, 1/4" drive bits, and other small misc small items that occasionally like to fall into the black hole of death and end up being transplanted on the freeway somewhere.

Spyder Garage

I was hoping to get some info on my question about foam in the side panels.

Thanks
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles

Spyder Garage

From that picture it looks like you may have found where the little Buga got the foam, now you got to see where he put it, check your air filter!!! And give your wires around that panel a good look!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    From that picture it looks like you may have found where the little Buga got the foam, now you got to see where he put it, check your air filter!!! And give your wires around that panel a good look!
    I am going to inspect the other side also. Going down to 7 F tonight, so maybe not today. The wires on this side look ok, the ones I can see. Probably a myriad of them in the dash. Still wondering about the foam that is shown on the parts fiche that would go behind the side covers. No indication that there was any there. There is a nest way down and almost unreachable in what I guess could be called a belly pan. Probably just leave whatever is down there.
    Have to check where the air filter is located. Thanks for the advice.
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles

Spyder Garage

Some of that belly pan should be bolted in such a way you should be able to drop it out and clean out the nest, I would think!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Some of that belly pan should be bolted in such a way you should be able to drop it out and clean out the nest, I would think!
    I might give it a try.
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles